Forums

Another reason to dump ICE

Another reason to dump ICE

Saw this in the news today. Not a frequent occurrence but one less way to die unnecessarily if you switch to electric.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/keyless-car-killed-him-while-113053983.html

calvin940 | 18/06/2019

The list keeps growing. There are already more than enough reasons. We are just waiting for everyone else to catch up.

Kary993 | 18/06/2019

That is really sad.....

legna_fo_htaed | 18/06/2019

The doggo too?? :(

Damn you ICE

TranzNDance | 18/06/2019

The article made no mention of having CO alarms in the home, which would be helpful beyond ICE poisoning of home occupants. That would be much more immediate and affordable than counting on legislation and manufacturers to install the safety features on *new* cars.

RJMIII | 18/06/2019

My wife drove a Hybrid Toyota Highlander. It was really easy to leave on because when you parked it the engine was not running and the only indication it was on was a faint ring of light around the start button. I remember coming out to the car after a day long meeting at a customer site and finding the car had been on all day. One other time it was on in my garage for a couple hours. Luckily I had to go in the garage to get something and realized the car was running before the situation turned tragic.

CharleyBC | 18/06/2019

@TranzNDance +1.

It’d be nice to have safety features in the car, but you can go buy a CO detector today for cheap.

Pepperidge | 18/06/2019

What killed them is "engine stop" feature, not the keyless entry.

Wanderer | 18/06/2019

@RJMIII my wife has done the same thing with our hybrid. It is scary!

TranzNDance | 18/06/2019

@Pepperidge, The engine was still running, for 10 hours, and emitting carbon monoxide. The article's proposed solution was to include engine shut-off, which was not installed in the victim's car.