Forums

Precondition battery for charge before getting in the car

Precondition battery for charge before getting in the car

Mostly for cold climate situations

Is it possible to heat the battery with the new precondition feature before actually getting in the car?

Yesterday I had my GPS set to a supercharger but I never made it all the way to there. I was heading for a car wash today and turned the AC on from my app to cool off the car for about 5-10 min. When I got in I noticed it had the notification stating it was pre conditioning the battery (since my GPS was still set to SC). Can’t tell it said that because I just got in the car or it was actually pre conditioning when I turned the AC on ?

Hp.1193 | 13/07/2019

Would that be a little trick, if so ?

vmulla | 13/07/2019

That's two different things in the post.

1) Pre-warming the battery to acheive better efficiency during the drive
2) Pre-conditioning the battery for Supercharging

For #1 folks schedule the heater in the car a little before the drive. Doing that warms the battery before the drive.
For #2 the car conditions the battery based on time/distance the car is away from the intended Supercharger stop.

Hp.1193 | 13/07/2019

Does doing #1 enable #2 if your GPS is already preset to a SC, is what I'm asking.

Hp.1193 | 13/07/2019

If you read my scenario, you'll know what I mean.

vmulla | 13/07/2019

I do not know if #1 and #2 are anyway related.

Pre-conditioning for Supercharging could be heating, cooling, getting more individual cells to a SOC where they can accept faster charging, a combination - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know this much - Doing what Tesla recommends gives great outcomes for charging and battery longevity. No need to second guess Tesla.

Hp.1193 | 13/07/2019

Sure. Which is why I was curious and asked .. thx

gballant4570 | 13/07/2019

For #1, I give my car a warming charge for a while and turn the heat on prior to driving in cold weather.

I haven't used Superchargers enough to comment on #2.

Hp.1193 | 13/07/2019

Being in Ohio, would be awesome if doing #1 enables #2 to fully warm the battery enough to take advantage of higher kW, if the GPS is already preset to a SC like in my scenario. Guess I’ll have to wait a few months to fully test this theory.

Hp.1193 | 13/07/2019

My closest SC is about 15 min away so also not sure if 15 min of pre conditioning in cold weather fully warms the battery to take advantage of higher kW