Forums

Looks like Pearl White is now standard

Looks like Pearl White is now standard

The online configurator is showing pearl white as standard and black as a $750 option. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Still no LR RWD.

lbowroom | 15/07/2019

Pearl white? No. Basic, or refrigerator white

Magic 8 Ball | 15/07/2019

It is a beautiful white to offer as base, I thought they would switch to a non-pearl for base.

Yes it show pearl white as base.

amulari | 15/07/2019

With a new, lower price too

wb808 | 15/07/2019

@lbowroom - Pearl white? No. Basic, or refrigerator white

Nope, from the configurator: “Pearl white multi-coat included”

Wow, interesting move. Wonder why Tesla is doing that? Basic white I could understand but the pearl white, previously a $2,000 option now standard? Notice too the base prices have changed?

$1,000 less for the SR+
$2,000 less for the LR dual
$5,000 less for the performance

Damn.

Offline | 15/07/2019

Prices of things like paint and different interiors that cost the same to make - they are whatever they need to be. The current model S default interior used to cost extra, same as the other interior options you can choose now - they they made it the default. The price keeps creeping down, for all of these - 55k now for a car that outperforms almost everything else on the road. I just hope they are doing this because they have brought down costs and not because they need to keep lowering the price to maintain demand.

lbowroom | 15/07/2019

Wow, I'm surprised

wb808 | 15/07/2019

Wow, the difference between a performance and a LR dual with the sport wheels is only $5,500 (since the performance comes with the 20” as standard).

$54,990 for a model 3 performance pearl white 20” wheels with autopilot is a killer deal!

kevin_rf | 15/07/2019

I'm impressed, tried changing to Red and back to Pearl White to see if it was a bug. Price goes back to base when changed back to Pearl.

Maybe they decided it would be to much hassle in the paint shop.

greg | 15/07/2019

Apparently LR RWD is now officially discontinued (how many times has that happened now?).

SR still available in the US, off menu.

M3phan | 15/07/2019

Still glad to have the LR RWD

raqball | 15/07/2019

I feel bad for anyone who bought a performance in white and took delivery a few days ago.. That was a quick 7K down the drain...

lbowroom | 15/07/2019

Still on for the 18th?

andy | 15/07/2019

I put my order on at the weekend. Was aware of a coming change to white as the default, didn't realise to was going to be pearl white. I also wanted the car to be the long range without performance. Now looking to modify my order to long range in pearl white, but option doesn't seem to be currently available on my account. he ;local Tesla shop did say my order could be easily changed, I guess the web site needs to catch up(?)

Any other ideas short of going to the shop in the morning?

andy | 15/07/2019

"The local" (typos again

raqball | 15/07/2019

@lbowroom said "Still on for the 18th?"

As far as I know, yes... I'll be there waiting for FISHEV.

andy | 15/07/2019

Unless I'm misreading, they've also set the price of the SR+ in white to come in at £50 under the UK threshold for the luxury car tax. That would put the car in the same bracket as my Leaf (free) and save owners £310 a year in tax. That's seriously good news. They should sell like hot cakes.

Only a small drop was needed.

raqball | 15/07/2019

@Andy.. I would not be surprised if it changes again shortly.. From a cost perspective offering the Pearl White for free does not make any sense.. I assume it will change to a standard white or maybe even go back to black being standard....

jjgunn | 16/07/2019

$5,000 less for the Performance?!?!? You effing A-Holes!!!

WHERES MY REPARATIONS...errr, refund!!

I demand justice!!

andy | 16/07/2019

@racball how does that work with your final invoice value at time of delivery?

A challenge of the default colour coming under the luxury car tax rate is that any option would kick it over the limit so you need to be sure of what you are ordering and paying to save on the tax.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

Probably because of all the issues they had with black cars. Talk about thin paint....

patesla | 16/07/2019

Wow... I feel tempted to trade in my black MR for a white LR dual motor now with these changes.

jimglas | 16/07/2019

Exactly, they are going to charge extra for "thin paint issues"
More FUD

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

I've measured 3 model 3's paint now, all of them have ridiculously thin levels of paint. So thin that I tell customers I may burn through it trying to fix the OE mistakes. Thank fawk that hasn't happened yet.

jjgunn | 16/07/2019

AWDTesla | July 16, 2019
I've measured 3 model 3's paint now
----------
I usually use the tire tread depth gauge to measure paint thickness.

raqball | 16/07/2019

@jjgunn I use the measure app on my iPhone... :p

Magic 8 Ball | 16/07/2019
AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

lol, goggle paint coating thickness gauge.

Detailers measure the paint before they cut your clear. This is how they know they are actually removing the right amount of clear to get the paint looking glossy AF again. They should be performing measurements to ensure you have enough material to work with before they start.

jjgunn | 16/07/2019

Goggle.

I have my Tesla Goggles on

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

His measurements are lot different than mine. I can take a video and measure mine, and I'll do the same for my neighbors that we just polished all the fish eyes and sanding marks out of.

My subaru and Honda had about 3 mil's more on average....

Put you video up on youtube and make sure you do a side by side on other new cars of different brands at the same time with your technique. You are the only one, in long time since that video came out, to make the claim of thin paint. Prove it. Duplicate the exact same video, using your techniques, and let's see your comparison chart.

If you are polishing out fisheyes you ruined your neighbors car. There is no way to polish out sanding marks on a factory finish unless you polish down to color.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

You can make them a lot less noticeable with a wet sand, compound and polish though. Especially when most of the damage is in the clear.

I'm probably the only one in a while because they've since fixed their issues? Did they start painting the inside of door sills yet? Subaru and Honda does.

Let the back pedalling begin, you ruined your neighbor's care.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

LMAO. its actually pretty amazing. He paid $1500 for full ceramic coating ontop of it. Looks wet and 100% better than when it came out of the factory.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

But srsly, has Tesla started painting the inside of the door sills?

You ruined your neighbors car.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

And you're a troll. Lets move on.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

and answer the question. Tesla painting the inside of door sills yet?

82bert | 16/07/2019

Honest question. Are there advantages to painting the inside of the door?

Are the cars rusting away? Why is it important to paint areas that are not corroding. Paint serves to protect the substrate. All cosmetic characteristic of paint is superficial.

Your neighbor should sue you after blowing off most of their clearcoat.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

Keep talking, the more lies you spew, the more I am convinced you nor any of your family actually stepped foot in a body, let alone own one.

The car went back with more clearcoat on it than it came with the factory. A much harder and hydrophobic one at that. This was measured with a guauge. I add 2mil's of clear coat with every paint correction. Pay more, I will add more.

And yes, cars here in Ottawa will absolutely rust due to not being properly coated from the factory. Almost every car, no matter the age has some rust on it here in Ottawa. The amount of salt we dump on our roads is detrimental to cars. The non painted door sills is one of the only things left for Tesla to fix on my car....and the clicking half shafts.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

I winter drove my 911 1 year. Rust appeared almost immediately. That was the 1st and last winter it saw.

82bert | 16/07/2019

So you have cars that rust on the inside due to lack of paint there?

82bert | 16/07/2019

I live in MN and haven’t had a modern car rust in many years.

Ceramic coating is not clearcoat nor a replacement. You ruined their car. What remains of their clearcoat, if anything, will be gone by UV exposure in a few years and that car will have worst looking paint of any car on the road. It will have blotchy yellow spots and peeling. You should be ashamed of yourself.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

where do you think rust starts? by the time it reaches the surface, you're too late to do anything about it.

I certainly hope it doesn't rust, but I've advised Tesla about it and if it does, I will be happy to say told you so.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

@Magic 8 Ball

honestly. now your actually lying about my business. how I put food on my table. Not cool at all, and very low, even for a troll like you. Smarten up.

82bert | 16/07/2019

I would be surprised and very disappointed if either 3 developed rust. It’s just such a rare thing with modern cars.

All of my alfa's rusted from the inside out. No coating on the interior metal and normal condensation on the inside panels created all the conditions. I grew up in our family owned body shop. Those that say they are improving your paint by removing clearcoat and replacing with inferior products are lying.

AWDTesla | 16/07/2019

You've never seen my work. never talked to my customers, and assuming a bunch of BS. All because I insulted your beloved tesla. Get some thicker skin.

Pages