Forums

Cruise Control Default Max Speed

Cruise Control Default Max Speed

Hi,
I noticed that whenever I enable the cruise control/AP, my M3 automatically sets the speed to 80 mph. Any way to lower this default?

rwa | 16/07/2019

That does not seem right. The initial set speed should be the max of the current speed limit or your current speed.

SamO | 16/07/2019

johnathan.chick | 16/07/2019

Interesting. Im 99% sure mine always sets it to 80 mph.... Could never figure out the logic to it.... 65 mph here in the bay area and seems to always default to 80 mph.

hokiegir1 | 16/07/2019

There is a setting where you can do speed limit + a set offset...so if you have that offset set to 15mph and always enable it in a 65mph zone, then it's always going to be 80. It's in one of the menus, but I can'r remember which one off the top of my head.

I combed though the settings multiple times. The setting you're referring to hokiegir1 is for the "speed limit warning" where it chimes when you speed?.... I definitely use that one

hokiegir1 | 16/07/2019

@jonathan - I just checked the manual -- yes. The warning chime is the same as where the offset for cruise is. And I forgot that it can be set to an absolute value, too -- so if you set your warning at 80mph, that's likely why it's always starting at 80.

"Set the cruising speed
To set the cruising speed, move the cruise
control lever fully down once then release.
This sets the cruising speed to the detected
speed limit (plus any offset you've specified
using Speed Assist as described in Controlling
Speed Assist on page 89) or your current
driving speed, whichever is greater."

And then page 89 talks about the chimes/display warning/etc.

casun | 16/07/2019

its more than just the warning, under the autopilot menu you can set the speed to relative to the speed limit or an absolute speed.

This is very helpful! Will have to play with it after work! Thank you :)

philippem | 16/07/2019

It is somewhat unintuitive that it use the offset even when you set an absolute maximum speed warning. Here I prefer an absolute warning speed as the data for speed limit is often incorrect and I like the cruise to set by default to the speed limit (or my actual speed if above).
It would be nice if they would add a bit more options like independent offset for cruise and warning.