Forums

FSD Upgrade Benefits

FSD Upgrade Benefits

We paid $5k for Enhanced Auto Pilot at purchase in March 2018. When I consider the FSD for $3k now, it is not clear to me what I am buying. My M3 will currently Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark and we have been promised Advanced Summon. I’m sure the FSD will provide more self-driving features going forward. I hope the FSD would include a hardware upgrade. I haven’t seen a promise to upgrade the hardware. How do I know what I am buying?

eplaskett | 08/08/2019

Elon has said multiple times that the new computer will indeed be required for the additional FSD features that are still in the works, and that those who upgrade to FSD will indeed receive the new computer.

I upgraded on Friday night. Nothing like the weekend and a couple of glasses of wine to ease one's grip on one's wallet...

Joshan | 08/08/2019
jimglas | 08/08/2019

wow joshan, pretty exciting.
I didn't realize how close we were to having FSD

EVRider | 08/08/2019

@jimglas: I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but we're not close to having FSD.

@WardT: Since you already have EAP, buying FSD now will not get you any current features that you don't already have. What it will get you is an upgrade to HW3 when Tesla starts doing upgrades, and future features that will only be available in FSD (including actual full self driving when that day comes).

Joshan | 08/08/2019

EVRider FSD features are going to start rolling out sooner than later. V10 is scheduled tentatively for end of August and Includes:

IMPROVED STOP SIGN & TRAFFIC LIGHT RECOGNITION
Needless to say, the recognition of stop signs and traffic lights is an extremely important task necessary on the path to “full self-driving” (FSD). With the upcoming V10 software update, Tesla is introducing an improvement in Autopilot’s ability to recognize stop signs and traffic lights. As discussed in their most recent earnings letter, Tesla has been running this feature in “shadow mode” — carefully analyzing driving situations and comparing what the system would do to what the driver does in the real world.

In response to a question about whether Tesla's FSD will require the recognition of traffic signs and stop signs, Musk stated that it “will recognize & read all signs for FSD. Focused on traffic lights & stop signs right now. Most are very easy. Difficulty is millions of corner cases.”

dmastro | 08/08/2019

@Joshan: I don't think a hardware upgrade will be necessary for V10, at least nothing I've read would indicate that. I'm not sure if you are suggesting that, but want to be clear for the sake of this conversation.

At this time, I'm not aware of any published timeline for activation of features that will require HW3, although they will almost certainly come at some point. So at this time, the primary benefit of buying FSD is locking in at a price if you think it's going to increase later. And buying into the belief that FSD/HW3 features will roll out sooner than later.

Joshan | 08/08/2019

Let me see if I can find the article on that. But it stated that V10 will be the first time they release code that will take advantage of HW3 in regard to AP/FSD. It could be a BS blogger, let me search.

dmastro | 08/08/2019

@Joshan: If you can find it, I think that will make a difference for a lot of us. I would consider buying FSD before the price increase next week if there are features coming out soon that I won’t be able to get on HW 2.5

Joshan | 08/08/2019

@dmastro not seeing anything now. Maybe it was something I saw on TMC. Cant remember now so I defer to you as correct until I can find different :)

EVRider | 08/08/2019

@Joshan: Are you basing the August V10 release schedule on what Elon said? In April Elon also said Enhanced Summon would be released the following week.

Elon is consistently wrong about software release dates, though he does much better with car production scheduling. Don't get your hopes up about seeing V10 this month (or this year, for that matter).

I'm a fan of Elon, but I've learned to ignore his software release dates. When it comes it comes.

tdwin2000 | 08/08/2019

I am agreeing with the OP. I have EAP and feel it's kind of a waste to spend $3000 now for FSD. My friend is driving his second model S. They were talking about FSD when he picked up his first one about 5 years ago. Still nothing. And, who knows if regulation will approve FSD in your area.

GrumpyinAZ | 08/08/2019

If I recall correctly, HW3 computers have been installed in new cars since 1Q 2019.

EVRider | 08/08/2019

HW3 went into production in mid-April.

WardT | 08/08/2019

I don’t know, but I get the impression the TACC, autopilot, (EAP features), etc, that I have now, will improve just with HW3. I don’t like it when the TACC brakes for no apparent reason on the freeway. I’m expecting/hopeful HW3 will improve that issue. It seems Tesla has complicated their offer significantly with EAP, FSD, HW3, etc, etc. You really don’t know what you are buying because of unknown future software improvements. Tesla has to be really careful about rolling out updates for EAP owners, versus FSD owners, versus HW 2.5, versus HW3 owners. I have zero expectations of autonomous driving within 5 years. At some point, Tesla has to start charging for all OTA software updates that are not just bug fixes. All of that said, I will upgrade to FSD for $3k, even if it is only to help Tesla survive. But really, wouldn’t be nice if Tesla would tell us exactly what I am getting for $3k? Will I never be asked for more money as they continue to improve the software? How does that business model look considering company profits?

howard | 08/08/2019

EVRider | August 8, 2019
@jimglas: I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but we're not close to having FSD.

+1

tdwin2000 | August 8, 2019
I am agreeing with the OP. I have EAP and feel it's kind of a waste to spend $3000 now for FSD.

+1

tdwin2000 | August 8, 2019
I am agreeing with the OP. I have EAP and feel it's kind of a waste to spend $3000 now for FSD.
I have zero expectations of autonomous driving within 5 years.

+1

I bought FSD when it dropped to 2k hoping the HW3 at least improves TACC and hedging against future value.

kaushal | 08/08/2019

AP is too inconsistent with phantom braking, arbitrary lane changes etc., FSD is a waste of money. Once AP features are off BETA, we can talk. Backup camera blackout is still an issue, I would like Tesla to fix existing problems first.

How about implementing a basic feature of being able to play Playlists from USB? even bmws have had that for years, so can't be that hard!

anilsandhya | 09/08/2019

Good thread, I took the leap of faith and bought the EAP to FSD upgrade for my M3/2018-09. Anyone knows when will TESLA start physically change the computer to FSD computer?

Magic 8 Ball | 09/08/2019

No one on this forum knows anything more than what Musk has said about that.

howard | 09/08/2019

Magic 8 Ball | August 9, 2019
No one on this forum knows anything more than what Musk has said about that.

+1 Musk is always ahead of reality. It will get here some day “year”.

shose1 | 09/08/2019

Email I received says I have EAP but did not pay for any Autopilot upgrade at purchase (Apr 19). So, guessing I have 2.5 hardware. Cost to upgrade to full AP is 3K. This probably includes V3 hardware.

WardT | 23/08/2019

I bought FSD for $3k last week. Through the purchase process no details of what I was actually buying was promised other than FSD. I hope Joshan's link is what I bought (Thank you very much for the link). Could you deliver that tomorrow pretty please? Yeah, I would love to scream all the way!

I'm 66 years old and hope the FSD option works by the time they take away my driver's license!! I love our M3 and hope I can afford the truck. I think Tesla should call their truck the Model T.

vmulla | 23/08/2019

@WardT,
Patience, there's a leadership change in the Autopilot team. Those kinds of changes often affect roll out dates. We'll get there eventually.

Magic 8 Ball | 23/08/2019

What leadership change in the autopilot team?

Magic 8 Ball | 23/08/2019

Nevermind, just read about Stewart.

rdh37 | 23/08/2019

We too paid $5k for EAP when I bought my 3 in Feb of 2019. The interesting thing is, at that time, there was no FSD available for sale. Yes, we know this for a fact and a manager at our local store (where we ordered the car) confirmed this. He confirmed it when an associate there tried to tell us that there was never a time when FSD was not available for sale. So, with all the FUD floating around I do not know if we will get the HW 3.0 upgrade for "free" or not. Ours seems to be a bit of an edge case though we are sure that there are hundreds if not thousands of owners in the same window as we were. We do keep in touch with the people at our local store on a fairly regular basis so we are hopeful that at some nebulous future time we will get a definitive answer. We also hope the manager we know stays there as he is an excellent person who actually does exactly what he says he will do.

In summary, we got exactly what we paid for and so am not looking for anything extra for free. We have received different answers regarding FSD and HW 3.0 at different times from different people. At this point we will not pay anything extra as we do not know what, if anything we will get from Telsa for the money already paid. Having said that, loving our 3. With all the frustrations dealing with Tesla on occasion, overall one of our better purchases. I have to give props to my lovely wife for insisting we get a) a Tesla, and b) the LR AWD. Have a nice day.

vmulla | 23/08/2019

Head of Autopilot is no longer with Tesla, EM will most likely step into that role for direct leadership. It's just reasonable to expect a few days delay in the rollout because of the changes.

jvcesare | 23/08/2019

This chart is from February but it explains it well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/aysb3c/new_ap_fsd_purchase...