Forums

Nav to junctions in meters in the UK

Nav to junctions in meters in the UK

Apologies if this is in the manual somewhere, but how do I set the nav so that the voice alerts give the distance in metres to junctions while the rest of the speed and distance info stays in miles?

I'm having to re-learn what feet are at the moment!

Anybody else in the UK know the answer?

Can cope if it can be charged to yards as an alternative - similar enough to do a 1:1 conversion.

andy | 16/08/2019

Bump

Tronguy | 16/08/2019

Wow. No offense, but I've always thought they we, in the U.S., were weird when it came to measurements? I mean, quarts, gallons, pints, inches, feet, yards, miles; We even use BTU's for home heating and, I think, there was an issue with a Mars satellite getting lost because of one bunch of aeronautical engineers calculating thrust in pounds while, on the same bird, another bunch were using Kilo Newtons. (With that last: Face palms all around.)
So, at one time, back in the 70's, I think, there was an attempt around here that involved highways signs going up in kilometers; that got killed off by the precious bodily fluids crowd, no joke.
So, in England: The road signs are in miles, but the distances to the next exit are in meters? OK, I thought you guys had abandoned the (40-guys-lined-up-heel-to-toe-and-divide) definition of a foot decades ago..

CharleyBC | 16/08/2019

I wish we could all agree on meters, liters and grams and be done with it. Sigh.

I think I'll go pour myself some wine from a US 750ml bottle.

St☰v☰ | 16/08/2019

@CharleyBC | August 16, 2019
I think I'll go pour myself some wine from a US 750ml bottle.

Too funny!!

andy | 16/08/2019

Feet were never really used as a measurement beyond a few yards. We went metric decades ago, but kept miles and miles per hour for roadsigns and distances.

Yards or metres are used for most measurements beyond a few feet. A yard is close enough to to a metre to not get hung up on the difference when you are moving.

Our pints and gallons differ to the US too. We use imperial measurements dating back to, er, the empire.

Feet will confuse most people as a ft is very seldom used these days by anybody middle aged and below.

We also don’t use pounds for weight measurement or descriptions of people - we use stones or kilos.

bj | 16/08/2019

@andy - that’s weird. Australia converted to metric in 1970, but at least the decision was wholehearted and implemented comprehensively and efficiently over a few years. If a country is going to do it, there should be no half-measures.

There was a government funded programme to “metricise” (if that’s a word) absolutely everything, and I mean everything, with a detailed industry-by-industry timetable of what needed to be converted and by when. As a result, everything in Australia became metric within about 3 years from memory. The law even backed this up - it became *illegal* in trade and commerce to *not* use metric measures (there were exemptions for legacy things like imperial nut and bolt sizes).

Roadsigns and the like were done in the middle of the programme, from memory. They essentially put industrial strength stickers over existing roadsigns and speed signs to change them from miles and mph to km and km/h. Car owners could get free stickers for their particular make & model of vehicle to put over their speedo, so that the needle pointed to a km/h scale rather than mph.

It was a really comprehensive and successful programme, and probably should have been a model for any country that converted subsequently.

greg | 16/08/2019

@bj
Same here in NZ.
It is illegal to sell anything as a pint.
Which confuses the English rugby fans when they order a pint of beer.
As technically they will not end up with a volume that is actually a pint of anything.

And there have been discussions about how SubwayTM 'footlong'TM and 6 inch subs are not 12 or 6 inches long and there is nothing that the authorities can do about It.
As they (FEET or inches) are not legal Measurements

As for the OP- my thoughts just put the car in metric mode and learn what 30, 40 and 70 mph are in metric (50, 70 and 112).

Or leave it as is and divide the distances in feet By 3 to get approximate distance in meters.

Mr.Tesla | 17/08/2019

All metric vs imperial opinions aside, I think it is a legitimate criticism by the OP. There is a thing called "software localization," and it appears that Tesla missed a detail or two for the UK.

bj | 17/08/2019

@greg - “And there have been discussions about how SubwayTM 'footlong'TM and 6 inch subs are not 12 or 6 inches long and there is nothing that the authorities can do about It. As they (FEET or inches) are not legal Measurements”

Similar here. The defence is that “6 inch” and “12 inch” are not measures of the product, but merely the names they are called, and any resemblance to something that people might think is a measurement is unintentional. Convenient, no?

andy | 17/08/2019

Other navigation apps in the UK tend to use yards for distances to junctions. Yards go with miles, but feet are obsolete as young people are taught to use metric measures.

I find the call-outs in ft confusing as I’m not used to thinking in ft and need to divide by 3. Yards work - golf courses are also in yards - as are the distances between road countdown markers.

Re regionalisation - it would be nice to have an English version of the manual (spelling and illustrations), but we can read American without confusion so that’s a very minor thing.