Forums

Tesla Dashcam/Sentry Mode Requires Restart of MCU Daily to Recognize Hard Drive

Tesla Dashcam/Sentry Mode Requires Restart of MCU Daily to Recognize Hard Drive

I have had my Tesla Model 3 SR+ for a little over two weeks now. I use a WD Easystore 2TB external HDD to store the videos. I formatted the drive and created the TeslaCam folder.

Since setting this up, I've noticed once my car has sat idle for a few hours or overnight, when I get back in and the car turns on, I get a red circle outline with a red exclamation point. When I touch the icon I get a message stating:

"Dashcam: USB drive is not readable"
"Try to set up your drive to a supported format again"

When I first got this icon, I thought the issue was with the drive so I was erasing the drive, reformatting the drive and creating the folder, and then after a few tries I would get the dashcam working again. I verified that every time I was doing this the drive was always in FAT32 format, even when I was receiving the error message. More recently, I found out that if I leave the drive plugged in as normal and just reset the MCU then the dashcam starts working again.

I'm not sure if resetting the MCU everyday can be damaging long term. I'm not too comfortable resetting the MCU multiple times a day to get the dashcam functional yet I do feel it is a necessary feature. Is anyone else having this issue?

Magic 8 Ball | 17/08/2019

No issue with our 128GB thumb drive.

EVRider | 17/08/2019

Any chance the external drive requires more power than you're getting from the USB port? It looks like it's design to be used with computers. I checked the WD web site but couldn't find any specs on power requirements.

EVRider | 17/08/2019

When I checked the specs for your drive, I saw that its operating temperature range is only 41-95 degrees F. That's not suitable if you plan to use it for Sentry Mode. I think you should look at other options.

I saw this here: https://www.wd.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/produ...

gmr6415 | 17/08/2019

I think those USB ports are limited to 500mAh???? Teslatap.com may have that information on their site.

gmr6415 | 17/08/2019

I meant 500mA not mAh.

thedrisin | 17/08/2019

If using the Dashcam with Sentry mode is so quirky, how many people will actually use it? My 64 GB 2.0 flash drive works fine with the dashcam but have never used Sentry Mode. I think the average person will end up just not using it if it takes so much maintenance.

Sentry mode is not quirky at all for us. Active full time and records many events as designed. 128GB stick that I delete the saved files folder on about 1 time a week. Rock solid since day 1.

thedrisin | 17/08/2019

@M8B. I think the average person won't be bothered or remember to be deleting files every week. Once it is filled, they won't use it. Just sayin'.

Oh, their loss; I never had a dashcam before let alone a car sentry, and I absolutely dig it.

gmr6415 | 18/08/2019

@thedrisin, I use a 200GB drive with wifi connectivity. I sit in the car and dump the files using my iPhone when I remember to...maybe once every three weeks or so. It takes about two minutes...good supercharging activity.

apodbdrs | 18/08/2019

@fahimfiroz, try using a flash drive and see if the same occurs? I have been using a flash drive since the cams became available for downloading with no problem.