Forums

The usb for dashcam

The usb for dashcam

recently my car always shows message, my usb flash drive speed is slow and cannot save video, it is highly suggested to buy high speed usb memmory, then i bought new one from amazon,
Samsung MUF-128AB/AM FIT Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive
it's usb 3.1, suppose speed is enough, however, after i format it to exfat and then make directory Teslacam, when i install it in my tesla, nothing appear, seems tesla does not accept it at all. any suggestion? any recommendation usb drive ? thanks.

gmr6415 | 19/08/2019

You have to format it to FAT32, not exfat.

jimglas | 19/08/2019

I wish I could reformat myself to ExFat

jingshao | 19/08/2019

there is no option to format it to FAT32 when i start to format it, any suggestion?

Smalm | 19/08/2019

Windows or Mac? I just bought the same drive and made two partitions one for TeslaCam and one for music, using Seagate utility for windows. Found this link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlYh_uRZHr4 very helpful.

Cswp4555TesM3 | 19/08/2019

If you are on a Mac, you have to erase it, then reformat it to FAT32.

pieromontas | 19/08/2019

Windows 10 doesn’t give you the fat 32 format anymore you can download a third party software to do it or there is a command line. ( command line takes longer to format)

EVRider | 20/08/2019

I think Windows will let you format FAT32 if the drive isn’t bigger than 32GB, but you need a utility otherwise. Mac will format larger drives as FAT32.

Magic 8 Ball | 20/08/2019
jestrada3 | 20/08/2019

Don't be surprised if that new flash drive gives you the same error message. There are numerous threads on USB dashcam issues on this forum.

stevehendler | 20/08/2019

Is the USB Drive Too Slow Error fixed in 28.x software, or is the error message valid and we will need to upgrade the drive? I started experiencing the issue on upgrade to 24.4.

dangerl7e | 20/08/2019

@pieromontas
that is not necessarily true if you use the '/q' argument

nipper2 | 20/08/2019

I have a 1GB and formatted it to fat32 and it works great

Akirch2 | 20/08/2019

How many gigs does the dashcam use? I saw a video where a guy used his hard drive from his laptop and partitioned it for music and it sounded so much clearer. The Best Buy guy said it could fry the cars drive and or my hard drive. Anyone have experience with the best way to do this?

TeslaTap.com | 20/08/2019

@Akirch2 - Dashcam video uses about 3 GB. The Sentry mode uses all the rest of the drive. For a small drive like 32 GB, this can be a few days, and then the drive stops all recording. I recommend a 128 GB drive at a minimum. Here's my suggested drive list: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/#recomm...

Best Buy guy hasn't a clue. You are not going to harm anything. At worst, using a slow drive it will not record properly. Using FLAC (non-lossy) music is the best. It has zero do with a dashcam. You can partition a drive to have space for music and dashcam, but I generally don't recommend it. It's a small pain to set up, and when the drive dies (they all die) it takes your music with it. Here's more on longevity: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/#drive_...

EVRider | 20/08/2019

@stevehendler: The error message was introduced in 24.x, along with a useful message that tells you when the disk is full. Don’t know if anything changed in the latest version, but I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

jingshao | 23/08/2019

after i use partition way, i am able to format partial of my 128GB to fat32 format, but the maximum size is 32GB, then most of USB cannot be used. dont' know if there is any other way to format whole USB to fat32 format.