Forums

Chrome Delete DIY

Chrome Delete DIY

Hey Everybody,
I'm considering chrome deleting my M3 but not looking to pay $800-$1500 for it. For that amount, I would rather tint my car.
Has anyone successfully chrome deleted their car (DIY) and have any recommendations or tips?

82bert | 10/09/2019

Have you checked out Kenriko’s chrome delete package? There were some threads circulating awhile back with pics.

catoriswann | 10/09/2019

I did a partial chrome delete myself using 3m vinyl tape. Just did handles and door trim, but not mirrors or sensors. It was simple, easy, and looked pretty sharp.

Wife hated it, though, so I took it off.

sroh | 10/09/2019

+1 to 82bert. Package looks good. I am awaiting my order. It's as good as I've been able to find if you want to DIY.

JAD | 10/09/2019

I did Plasti-Dip, pretty cheap and easy. Also, easy to remove if you don't like the results or want the car stock to sell. Not as durable, but easy to touch up. Did wheels, trim, logos, used stickers for handles. Maybe $100 and a days time.

rchau28 | 10/09/2019

Thanks for the feedback.

The Kenriko's kit seems promising. Not looking forward to partially removing the side mirrors though, but seems there is no way around it for a clean install.

triton3 | 11/09/2019

Very timely, I just received my Kenriko satin black kit and plan on installing through the next few weekends. The kenriko product goes out of stock pretty often so if you are serious on going that route I recommend you purchase soon. Plenty other threads and videos regarding the Kenriko product including this helpful one -
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/kenriko-chrome-delete-kit-show-o...

spuzzz123 | 11/09/2019

I did it with 3m vinyl. Love it. Takes a little practice but not hard once you get hang of it. You can buy everything you need on amazon for under $100 and there’s some good YouTube videos by a guy named DIYtesla or TeslaDiY that shows some nifty tricks.

spuzzz123 | 11/09/2019

After further looking at the kenriko kit which I don’t think was available at the time I did mine, I like it a lot. No trimming required which is a huge timesaver. And it comes with tools you need and extra pieces. Doesn’t cost that much more. When it comes time to replace my wrap I will definitely try that.

jain78 | 11/09/2019

I did mine myself. window trims and door handles are easily done and look sharp. Mirrors are tough. Key for mirrors to use a large piece and use heat gun to mold around the edges. Learning curve is pretty steep. I used 3M 2inch vinyl tape.