Forums

Supercharger vs 240V charging

Supercharger vs 240V charging

We've heard that using the Tesla Superchargers constantly degrades the batteries and that we should use our 240V at home charging to get the most out of the battery life. Does anyone have confirmation for negation of this information?

gmr6415 | 12/10/2019

Did you try looking in the manual? Page 129:

"The peak charging rate of the Battery may decrease slightly after a large number of DC Fast Charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. To ensure maximum driving range and Battery safety, the Battery charge rate is decreased when the Battery is too cold, when the Battery’s charge is nearly full, and when the Battery conditions change with usage and age. These changes in the condition of the Battery are driven by battery physics and may increase the total Supercharging duration by a few minutes over time."

TexasBob | 12/10/2019

"The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

"There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly."

IOW - Plug in at home. Leave it plugged in when not in use. Set charge level to 80% unless you need more for a particular trip.

FISHEV | 12/10/2019

It's Li-ion tech. The slower charge is less damaging to the batter than faster charge. Many of us with Model 3's do not have home charging and use fast DC chargers including Tesla's. We also tend to use more battery capacity between charges just from a time factor figuring about an hour used getting to/from and using a fast DC charger.

"What Causes Li-ion to Die?"

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_t...

"Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges."

https://electrek.co/2017/05/07/tesla-limits-supercharging-speed-number-c...

Tronguy | 12/10/2019

Please note: FISHEV is always wrong. He's FUDding away.

Smalm | 12/10/2019

About the always plugged in. If your commute is only 15 miles a day, is this still recommended? There’s a lot of conflicting info out there, like take it down to 20% and then charge to 80%. For me that’s several days.

RES IPSA | 12/10/2019

I believe the science yields the conclusion that the battery is best at 50%. If you do do not drive much each day, I would keep the battery in the 40% to 60% range. I charge to 60% and discharge to 40%. I onlty plug in 3 times a week

I believe Tesla recommends always plugging it in when home so that the battery never reaches below zero which is very bad. Tesla assumes some people are forgetful or irresponsible.

Teslanene | 13/10/2019

@RES it’s almost impossible for the car to reach zero, when the battery drops below 25 miles I usually get an alert on my phone if it’s not plug in.

Firaz.ashraf | 13/10/2019

Not sure about the science of 50pct charge. I stay between 70-90pct through the week and charge almost everyday. Battery health is still 100pct after 18 months...so far so good....

Firaz.ashraf | 13/10/2019

Back to OP question, believe 240V charging every day is recommend and superchargers as needed/occasionally.
There is a model S guy with very high mileage and supercharging who had his supercharging speed reduced permanently after a certain amount of supercharging...

coselectric | 13/10/2019

My understanding of the issues with fast charging of Li-Ion battery cells is that heat is the main culprit, not specifically charge rate, and Tesla both uses an active cooling system to remove heat during charging and actively manages the charge rate as a function of charge level and temperature to reduce battery degradation. Higher charge levels also degrade batteries faster, but this is independent of charge rate.

I also seem to think that @Bighorn has driven hundreds of thousands of miles and uses supercharging almost exclusively, and I don't remember him mentioning significant battery life problems.

@Bighorn, if you're listening, maybe you could comment on this?

Also, if you're new here, @FISHEV is always wrong.

jordanrichard | 13/10/2019

The issue with constant supercharging is the definition with constant. Meaning, if you constantly charge to full, then run it empty, then supercharger again, then run it empty, repeat, etc..etc. without giving the battery a chance to “rest” if you will, then you will have issues in the long run. When on a road trip, while you will be constantly using superchargers, you are not doing full charges.

I have been up and down the east coast numerous times, using the superchargers and after 5 1/2 years/169,000 miles, I have only lost 5%.