Forums

SR+ range went from 240 miles to 250 on Tesla.com

SR+ range went from 240 miles to 250 on Tesla.com

Someone over on Tesla Motors Club just noticed the advertised EPA range on the SR+ went from 240 miles to 250 miles in the configurator. This in the midst of the everyone noticing the range of their vehicles dropped after a set of recent firmware updates.

Wonder what magic this is, since the LR range is still 310 miles. (Maxwell?, Number games?)

With delivery estimated now at six weeks, this should be interesting.

Btw. Link to the range increase thread.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-sr-range-increased-by-10...

kevin_rf | 17/10/2019

As far as I can tell, the S & X ranges have stayed there same.

tarballqc | 17/10/2019

Wondering what is going to happen with my current order. I still don’t have received my vin so I’m hoping I will get that increased range configuration.

courson01 | 17/10/2019

As a SR+ owner with constant 220 miles @ 100% charge, it would be nice to see a range increase. Or for them to fix mine to 240. We will find out soon.

Teslanene | 17/10/2019

I think they increase the price by $500 for 10 extra miles.

lbowroom | 17/10/2019

10 extra miles is achieved how?

FISHEV | 17/10/2019

"10 extra miles is achieved how?" lbowroom

Only Tesla would know and Tesla does not respond to questions on the Tesla owner's forums. Most likely is that the SR+ that now shows 250 miles tested out higher on the EPA scales and Tesla understated it initially. Tesla wants to raise price so used some of those extra miles it got on the EPA tests.

bjrosen | 17/10/2019

Maybe they unlocked a little more of the battery. Who knows what's in the SR+ battery, the SR is just a software locked version of the SR+ battery, maybe the SR+ also doesn't use all of the battery. They needed a price increase so they justified it with a range boost. The Bolt just got a range bump to 259, but that was done with an improved chemistry in the LG cell, Tesla hasn't made any cell improvements so either they just unlocked a little more battery or it's a lie and all they did was change the constant used to calculate the range estimate.

Phantom_Menace | 17/10/2019

LR RWD got a jump from 310 to 325 via software. Hoping we will get the same. I'm excited of the prospect of gaining range! Car just keeps giving! l

Tuning In | 17/10/2019

The increase from 310 to 325 was not a gain in range, it was a change in the average consumption figure that they used to calculate range. It didn't result in more capacity or actual gain in efficiency, hence it was meaningless.

Oh really ? hmmmm wonder how Tesla Bjorn got 327 miles (526.6km) miles in his real world LR range test. 99% > 5%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJpz5imqW5U

vmulla | 17/10/2019

Phantom_Menace | October 17, 2019
LR RWD got a jump from 310 to 325 via software. Hoping we will get the same. I'm excited of the prospect of gaining range! Car just keeps giving! l
-----

About that.... :)

bjrosen | 17/10/2019

@Phantom_Menace, you can exceed the EPA range just by careful driving. On my 60 mile commute yesterday I averaged 195W/mile, if I were to do that all day I would have easily exceeded 310 miles. The EPA range is generated on a dynamometer not in real world driving, it's meant to approximate the expected range under typical usage. The test is done by the manufacturer so they are free to derate if they want which is what Tesla did initially with the LR RWD to make it match the AWD version which was not yet out. Later they decided to raise the EPA number back to the measured number, later they decided to kill the LR AWD to force anyone who wanted a LR model to upgrade to the AWD in markets where AWD isn't necessary i.e. CA.

Tuning In | 17/10/2019

You could hyper mile and get better than 350. You could drive fast and get less than 280. You could drive in a way that gets you 325. So what does that prove?

True you could hypermile at 40 mph on a closed loop circuit and exceed the EPA estimates. I think without overcomplicating or overstating things Bjorn was able to replicate the EPA ratings of 325 miles for the LR cruising at reasonable speeds in real world conditions while using climate control. This real world test simply corroborates the range Tesla is claiming for the LR.

xmeng | 18/10/2019

Tesla adviser in Canada confirmed the range increase is an upgraded manufacturing process. Tbh I don't buy it.

Quotes from advisor:
"You paid the old pricing, so the vehicle will have 386km. The 402km vehicles are an updated manufactured version, and this km boost is not a software-reliant upgrade, so it cannot be retrofitted to old priced vehicles"

Pg3ibew | 18/10/2019

I will say this every single time you kids talk about MILES/RANGE or what ever you want to call it. I have never seen a single ICE owner as remotely obsessed about range as you guy.
And I will say this every single time to all of you. Range is dependent on a number of things. 1: your driving habits 2: weather. 3: traffic. 4: everything in between and somwhat related to 1,2&3.
Get in the car. Enjoy it. And stop obsessing over it.

Wolfsbane | 18/10/2019

At least for me, I don't obsess over MPG on ICE vehicle because there is not battery degradation or range anxiety. If I decided to floor it and lower my MPG, I'll just pull over the next exit and fuel up in 5 min.

With an electric vehicle, I have to plan my activities around range, charging locations, and time allotted to charge. T

Joshan | 18/10/2019

@Pg3ibew +1000

Phantom_Menace | 18/10/2019

@Pg3ibew No need to be so salty. This is a car forum and generally fanboys, enthusiasts or haters like to discuss this stuff. Don’t kid yourself, the same frivolous discussions about other car related subjects are commonplace in ICE forums especially the BMW M5 forum I used to frequent. I don’t see an issue. If you don’t like a thread ignore it. So on a Tesla car forum what should people discuss? New knitting techniques?

FISHEV | 18/10/2019

"it was a change in the average consumption figure that they used to calculate range. It didn't result in more capacity or actual gain in efficiency, hence it was meaningless."@Tuning In

"The 402km vehicles are an updated manufactured version, and this km boost is not a software-reliant upgrade, so it cannot be retrofitted to old priced vehicles"@xemeng quote of Tesla.

Fact is no one knows which is the really crazy part and an issue with Tesla that even ultimate Tesla promoter like Bjorn Nyland gets frustrated with as he states in video on this this thread on similar range topic.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/v10-and-lowered-rated-range

a1chang1 | 18/10/2019

I don't quite like the way they are pricing the car based by range, squeezing out 10 more mile and the increasing the price, It is fine, as long as you get that range initially. Some folks seem to pay for SR+, if they really were promised the +, and only got 220. (And I as complaining getting about mid 230.) What happens if you pay the extra for 250 and now only got 240 upon initial delivery? The range advertised should be the minimum under defined conditions. Not typical, especially if you are going to increase the range slightly and raise the price accordingly.

St☰v☰ | 18/10/2019

This is interesting... last night when my 90% charging stopped, it showed 218 miles in lieu of the normal 216. Certainly the capability is there through programming, but 10 more range miles isn't enough

Smalm | 18/10/2019

@STEVE did you switch back to percentage and verify it’s at 90 and not 91+. Mine has been going down slowly and has never ticked up once even with increased efficiency (lower wh/mi) recently. One time I thought it bumped up at 80 it was really at 81%. 204 at 90% for me at the moment.

St☰v☰ | 18/10/2019

I didn't actually check the % because I've never had it go above 90% when it's set at 90%, but I'll see what it does tonight. It was probably just an aberration, but had me thinking about software controlled range and what the real range is for the SR+ battery pack.

Pg3ibew | 18/10/2019

@phantom, I apologize if I came off as salty. That wasn't my intention. I am a fan boy myself. Do not get me wrong. I am getting my first Tesla tomorrow at 11 am. I have been a fan of Tesla vehicles since they day they were launched.
I just find all the obsessing over range and RATED range to be a bit....comical.

Pg3ibew | 18/10/2019

@phantom, I apologize if I came off as salty. That wasn't my intention. I am a fan boy myself. Do not get me wrong. I am getting my first Tesla tomorrow at 11 am. I have been a fan of Tesla vehicles since they day they were launched.
I just find all the obsessing over range and RATED range to be a bit....comical.

vmulla | 18/10/2019

@Pg3ibew,
It's about learning and knowing about the car. Tesla doesn't put out all the info, so it's for the owners to peice together the info from each other's input.

There are different flavors of fans - at some point even the most ardent fans will question Tesla's approach in one aspect or an other. That's just normal.

In my first message to you I asked you to share your first idea to improve the car, that's graduating from appreciating the car to having a mindset of making it better. It's not complaining. In the same way people like to understand their car's mileage, software, battery, regen and all the other things that make for this wonderful machine.

I'd encourage that discussion over 'be happy with what you have' mindset.

Pg3ibew | 18/10/2019

@vmulla, I do not think people are complaining about he car when they ask about the range/Mileage. I just find the obsession amusing.

As far as improvements after I get the car, I absolutely will post about it.

FISHEV | 18/10/2019

"I just find all the obsessing over range and RATED range to be a bit....comical."@Pg3ibew

It was the single biggest issue for EV introduction and still is which is why first thing Musk did was build the SC network for billions of dollars. It's why VW's building out the separate but equal billion dollar SC network all over the US for all EV drivers.

It's an even bigger issue for many EV drivers who have no home charging and are trying to make EV's work.

Range anxiety in EV's is totally legit as the charging is not as available as gas stations and the consequences are much greater such as time and tow trucks vs. getting a gallon of gas.

"Range anxiety still biggest EV turn-off, survey finds."

https://airqualitynews.com/2019/08/27/range-anxiety-still-biggest-ev-tur...

WW_spb | 18/10/2019

Explain me how are you having range anxiety with 200+ miles when average commute is 30 miles?

FISHEV | 18/10/2019

Explain me how are you having range anxiety with 200+ miles when average commute is 30 miles?“@WW_spb

Ok Lucy.

My daily commute is 104 miles. I don’t have home charging. Usable daily range on 310 is 180 miles (20%-80% of battery). You work late, stretch a charge, run an extra errand. I see a fair amount of red and orange on my range indicator.

And that’s with the 310. Folks with 250 would be 25% more range anxious than me.

calvin940 | 18/10/2019

@FISHEV

You know what makes me anxious ? All this waiting.

Phantom_Menace | 18/10/2019

@Pg3ibew - No worries buddy! I didn’t mean to preach either. It’s all good! :)

kevin_rf | 19/10/2019

I was very happy when the Model 3 came out with 310 miles of range. It set the bar and cured the anxiety other cars with much smaller batteries have, yes you BMW i3. I've met people with small batteries, like the i3 and it does turn them off to Ev's.

Personally I'm disappointed Tesla is playing in the 220-250 mile space. Using the price differential they had with AWD and RWD, the could be offering the 325 mile LR RWD for somewhere between $43,000 and $44,000. Only $5000 more. When you properly load out the other 200 something mile Ev's you end up in this price range anyway.

It would raise the bar for the other Ev's in the market. 300 miles, or you are not a Tesla killer.

With my 95 mile daily commute, due to other activities I managed to make it home last night with 70ish miles left on the LR batteries. 300 miles really should be there low end, but it will be interesting to see if they squeezed 10 more miles out of the SR+.

WW_spb | 19/10/2019

@FISHEV
Finally I found reason why you r butthurt over Tesla. You r not a dolphin. Bought fully electric car with long commute and no Home Charging that is just genius. Good analysing skills and planning. LoL

kevin_rf | 19/10/2019

Nah, fishy would be in the same boat with an ice and that commute. Filling up the gas tank everyother day. No different from supercharging every night, just the super charging costs less and he gets to chat-up the unsuspecting.

With a similar commute, I was every two days filling the tank, it gets old fast. So nice to lift the handle off the hpwc each night and go to bed.

stebo1 | 19/10/2019

Check your cars at 50%, I think you will find the range to be consistently 120, or half of the 240. The algorithm problems seem to be at the top of the scale. Again, don’t worry about it! Who here has gotten stranded or had to get towed? Likely no one unless you were ignoring the car completely!

Tuning In | 19/10/2019

@ Phantom_Menace
My point is this, if he drove exactly the same way pre-change from 310 to 325range by Tesla, he still would have gotten 325 miles. If you want to get xxx number of miles out of a charge, you just need to adjust your speed to make sure that your Watts/mile is xxx. He only proved that he can get 325 out of a pack based on the EPA consumption rating, which didn’t change with that update.

fearghus1 | 20/10/2019

All, I recently booked SR+ and I’m picking up my car in 2 days. My Tesla advisor confirmed that this is a hardware change within the car. She didn’t have any other info as in what exactly is changing. But she said I cannot pay $500 and get the 10 miles range in my SR+. I need to cancel and place a new order to get the 250 mile range..

May be it is true.. may be it is not.. thought of sharing it here!

Smalm | 20/10/2019

Bummer I was hoping the 10 miles would get me closer to the original 240.

llim3306 | 20/10/2019

Small +1. My SR+ only gets me 228 full charge.

Sarah R | 20/10/2019

The real metric is not range. It's distance per key. If I see 4.1mi/key I'll a very happy lady. Under 4 and I'm grumbling.

Assuming a 62 kWh battery and 90% charge, 4mi. /kWh yields 223.2 miles.

As we all know, instantaneous numbers are not worth much. It is the aggregate over time that matters most.

Now that said, I probably wouldn't want to commute from my home in Orange County, CA to San Diego every day. With 180-200 miles I'd be at the Supercharger every day. But my 36 mile round trip is in the sweet spot. My Clipper Creek 25-amp charger can easily replace what I use on a daily basis. I'll be able to drive to Los Angeles or San Diego from time to time and never really have any range issues.

If you think in terms of distance/kWh * battery capacity in kWh then you'll understand the variability in range.

Sarah R | 20/10/2019

And that's kWh, not "key" ... I corrected autocorrect three times and it still got that one by me.

lbowroom | 20/10/2019

Hey fish, are you embarking on a new mission to convince people Tesla’s are too complicated and intimidating to understand?

AGSTEP21 | 20/10/2019

Will current owners have the ability to get a range increase or will it be limited to new orders?

fearghus1 | 20/10/2019

I ordered my M3SR+ on 10/15 and they confirmed mine won’t get the 250 miles.. only way to get 250 is to buy a new SR+

rehutton777 | 20/10/2019

How are they presumably getting a rated 250 mile range out of a battery that is allegedly identical to the one in my SR+ that I bought in March? Something sounds "goofy" here! Is this simply a "numbers game" which allows for a price increase by making buyers think they are getting more range?

Smalm | 20/10/2019

Maybe the new 250 is a software limited MR (62kW) battery instead of the current 50kW SR/SR+??

jjgunn | 21/10/2019

Most likely a response to Chevy Bolt upping their range to 250

fearghus1 | 21/10/2019

@Smalm - that is my thought too! Only time can tell

Pages