Forums

Virtual queuing for Superchargers

Virtual queuing for Superchargers

With all this technology, Tesla needs to create mobile queuing for superchargers so people are not fighting lines. 1. Check-in 2. Wait your turn 3. Unable to charge message if you try to cut the line.

Anyone else agree?

EVRider | 20/10/2019

I’m guessing waiting in line is not a typical experience so there’s no need for a solution (yet). I’ve never waited for a supercharger in the eastern US. I’m sure Bighorn will comment since he’s visited more superchargers than just about anyone.

TeslaTap.com | 20/10/2019

I've had a couple of times where I had to wait in a queue over the last 6 years. They've always been rather short (1-3 cars) and seems rather logical. Longest wait in the last 5 years was 20 minutes. Some queueing software would be nice, but not sure it's needed yet at least with the SCs I visit.

I did have one long wait back in early 2013, at a one-stall location (Harris Ranch), where another owner got in seconds before me. Luckily Harris ranch was quickly expanded to many more stalls.

NKYTA | 20/10/2019

Also, queuing software wouldn’t help much with lines anyway. Most Tesla folks will work it out amongst themselves upon arrival to a line. And you are going to take the first spot in any case, even if you are paired with somebody who just got a spot.

As others have suggested, knowing which stall to pull into when an SC is NOT full, to get the fastest possible charge, would be a much better feature, for more people, more of the time.

jordanrichard | 20/10/2019

No that won’t work. How does Tesla know when an existing car charging, will be done to then know what will be available upon your arrival? I don’t always use the nav system, so Tesla wouldn’t know what my charging needs are. Although I have my SOC set to 80%, that doesn’t mean that is the SOC I will supercharge to. So again, without Tesla knowing how long a given stall will be in use, they can’t reserve it for you. Also, what if you are running late, due to traffic or an accident. Those 15 minutes of you being late could add some miles to someone’s battery......

NKYTA | 20/10/2019

@jr, I think we agree.

Figuring out a queue via software when we have actually interacted with others in a line for an SC hasn’t been needed, and is unlikely to be needed.

Knowing what stall to pull in if you must be paired, would be really useful info. Whether the other owner is done and gasp! in the movie theatre, or if it can cut 5 minutes of your time to your next leg, useful as an Nav add on.

It makes zero sense if there IS a line.

jordanrichard | 21/10/2019

There are just too many "what if's" aka corner cases, to make this feasible.

bp | 22/10/2019

Tesla can and should do more to support the superchargers, helping to minimize charging times by identifying the best chargers to use, and to help in sharing chargers when there is contention.

And if they ever deploy the automatic "snake" charging connectors, Tesla could even utilize the Smart Summon functionality to automatically park vehicles at the selected charger and disconnect and move when the vehicle is charged.

Even after V3 supercharger is widely available and all new vehicles support it, there will always be the potential for charger contention, and Tesla can help improve the experience by taking advantage of all the technology and data to help the drivers minimize the time they spend charging - something that will be more difficult for other manufacturers who will be relying on 3rd party charging networks.

giampigua | 22/10/2019

good proposal.

maybe it would be enough if Tesla sends a kind of etiquette about it.
Elon is able to find something original :)

Uncle Paul | 22/10/2019

I like that the display shows the number of open spots at every supercharger within range. You can look ahead as you drive and choose the places most likely to not have waiting. Even lets you know if you will likely need to share a paired space with another.

Cars charge so fast now, and there are so many stalls, that waiting us usually not all that long.

As long as owners move their cars right after their charge, things tend to open up quickly.

Biggest lines I see are at heavily congested urban areas where many locals tend to plug their cars in while doing some grocery shopping. Also local commuters all charging at the same times, going to or coming home from work. Makes it tough of travelers.

By looking at your display, travelers can often locate these congested areas and re-route to a less congested area.

jordanrichard | 22/10/2019

Uncle Paul, while on the surface it may seem great to know in advance which chargers are full or not, that can change in an instant. For example, you are traveling along and there are two charging sights on the route you are traveling and the nearest one to you is full or nearly full and the next one further down the line is half empty. So you decide to pass the nearest one and press on to the alternate. Then half way to the second site, the just passed one become half empty and one you are heading to is full. What good did that do you......?

I know this is perhaps an extreme example, but the point is, the activity level at a given site should not be taken for gospel.