Forums

Solar Roof v3 won't install in a new construction?

Solar Roof v3 won't install in a new construction?

I've been waiting for 2 years after making a deposit for the solar roof. I was told it wasn't ready for installation on new construction (only rip and replace old roof). Finally our rebuild started and when I saw the news of the new v3 I was hoping they will install on our new house. Still the answer is the same though - they can install only on existing houses and won't install in a new construction. Sounds weird - as it should be far easier to install when there isn't a roof on instead of having to rip one out!!

Talking to regular roofer, they can't understand why this will be as they think it has to be easier on a new house.

Any idea if Tesla has any plans to install on new constructions any time soon?

jrweiss98020 | 29/10/2019

Maybe it's because they cannot guarantee a delivery time...

NaraR | 31/10/2019

No, they are taking orders for older homes - but they say they won't install on new homes. Which doesn't make any sense as you'd think installing on a roof on plywood is easier than ripping out the old roof and gutter, install the new roof and put back the gutter... I wonder if it is just sales guys who are badly trained or if the whole chain of command doesn't understand how roofs are installed!

jrweiss98020 | 31/10/2019

They may be taking orders, but are they installing any?

rick | 01/11/2019

I have a new house in planning stage and hope to submit plans for permit in the next 30 days. I am also in So FL in a 170 mph wind zone. I am hoping to get a V3 roof on the new home and anxious to hear more comments here.