Forums

Auto Sock

Auto Sock

Has anyone used auto sock instead of chains?

jordanrichard | 01/11/2019

What’s an auto sock?

lilbean | 01/11/2019

It’s a fabric that wraps around the tire, an alternative to chains, but not as good.

CST | 01/11/2019

C'mon... really? *Anything* is better than chains.

slingshot18 | 02/11/2019

I’ve used them for years. They’re awesome. Only downfall is how long they last.

lilbean | 02/11/2019

@CST I know. I hate putting chains on. I have just heard that the auto sock,doesn’t last long and the traction isn’t as good.

slingshot18 | 02/11/2019

Ha. The traction is better. Seriously. They are amazing. Just don’t drive them on concrete or they get torn up quickly.

CST | 02/11/2019

In California, it's not unusual for them to require that you put chains on while the pavement is still bare. Unfortunately, these would not work very well that situation unless you pass the checkpoint and then remove them immediately.

Shesmyne2 | 02/11/2019

Part of the reason I got the AWD
No chains going on my baby from BayArea to Tahoe.

Still Grinning ;-)

skygraff | 03/11/2019

Interesting.

Trying to find some reviews/videos/reports of people using them to get unstuck. Since they’re not designed for long term use, I can’t see any need other than an emergency extraction in my (often rutted) alley.

I found one google preview blurb about just doing the wheels a short amount rather than rolling forward (when unable) to finish the install but that link didn’t go to the detailed recommendation at the company’s site.

Anybody have experience installing them when stuck and successfully pulling away? Is it possible to use summon to spin the wheels slightly so you can be precise by watching the wheel rather than getting inside?

Tuning In | 03/11/2019

The Pewag chains from Tesla are awesome. Takes a couple of minutes to take out and put on; less than minute to take off. Go to the Pewag YouTube channel and see the right way to do it and how it’s not a big deal at all with these chains. I had an Audi AWD for years because chaining used to suck. If it were this easy, I wouldn’t have bothered with AWD.

lilbean | 03/11/2019

I got the Pewag chains too. They are easy to put on.