Forums

HW3 and HW2.5 no longer equivalent

HW3 and HW2.5 no longer equivalent

So can someone let me know why no one is talking about this yet? Apparently seeing traffic cones is the first HW3 feature that HW2.5 isn't going to get. That means those of us who are owed retrofits should be getting them soon....right?

https://electrek.co/2019/11/10/tesla-update-forks-features-for-model-3s-...

arjomandy_2000 | 10/11/2019

That sucks. Does that mean we "the owners with HW2.5" won't get any new features with the update anymore, if any?

Bighorn | 10/11/2019

People who paid for FSD started getting HW updates in September, starting with Model S and X. There is the logistical issue of service installing thousands of retrofits during already busy business hours.

calvin940 | 10/11/2019

They were never equivalent and not sure how they would be expected to be equivalent. Why would owners of vehicles without FSD expect to get FSD level hardware upgrades?

4barkie | 10/11/2019

I wonder how many cars need the retrofit?

vmulla | 10/11/2019

@calvin940,
It looks like the OP bought FSD and is eager to get the upgrade. Also, newer cars come with FSD capable HW, no special upgrade required.

@4barkie,
At the moment I don't think anyone *needs* updated HW, the FSD features aren't pushed in software yet. That's not to say people aren't getting HW updates. Many folks reported upgrades performed when they visited the service center, or when they had a ranger visit them.

Sarah R | 10/11/2019

I'm wondering how many of three future "whizz bang" features of FSD are already running in "shadow mode"

vmulla | 10/11/2019

"three future "whizz bang" features of FSD.." @Sarah R

What are they?

Sarah R | 10/11/2019

Autocorrect hates me.

s/three/the/

That would be the street sign and street light recognition, city street autonomy, etc.

calvin940 | 10/11/2019

@vmulla | November 10, 2019
@calvin940,
It looks like the OP bought FSD ..
-------
Ya, I neglected to identify that it wasn't the OP my comment was directed at but rather at the folks who feel let down or expect to get HW3 without having bought FSD.

kaffine | 10/11/2019

Cool. I paid for FSD and have HW2.5, I am happy to see some features that require HW3 starting to roll out. I am a bit surprised traffic cones require HW3 as my car use to have a warning about cones. I guess it requires a lot more processing power to actually detect them all and display them vs just detecting there are traffic cones around and give a general warning.

Hopefully within 6 months I'll be able to get the retrofit. I do expect the roll out to be a disaster though. There really isn't a good way to roll out the retrofit in the numbers they have.

walnotr | 11/11/2019

When we bought our 3 back in 08/18 we purchased the EAP/FSD option not only to be FSD capable but to be sure of the hardware upgrade. At the time, it was a leap of faith because there was no official word the hardware was included.

Late last summer I included “install FSD computer upgrade” in the service request to see what would happen. Sure enough, I got an email informing me it was not yet being retrofitted. It was the answer I expected.

shank15217 | 11/11/2019

The roll out will be slow, why do you expect it to be a disaster? A disaster assumes it would fail or cause accidents and/or kill people. Let's not resort to hyperbole for everything this company does.

steevsteevsteev | 11/11/2019

@calvin

"They were never equivalent and not sure how they would be expected to be equivalent."
From a hardware perspective, this is correct. But up until this traffic cone thing, there wasn't a single feature provided by HW3 that was not also provided by HW2.5. So they were functionally equivalent up until recently.

orakornb | 11/11/2019

Has anyone who has paid for FSD received their upgrade to 3.0 yet? Has there been any communication about a timeframe?

TickTock | 11/11/2019

I'm happy to wait until the differences are substantial (such as a deeper depth of vision/recognition). The longer I wait, the more likely it will be to get the latest and greatest hw rev.

Joshan | 11/11/2019

Elon stated they would start at the end of Q4.

Bighorn | 11/11/2019

@orakornb
Yes
Published on Twitter and rebroadcast by the usual outlets in early September.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-hardware-3-retrofit...

SteveWin1 | 11/11/2019

@TickTock -- that's actually a great point. I remember when everyone was waiting for the spoilers for their P3D+ which took a crazy-ridiculous amount of time. The first few that got theirs ended up having issues withe it not fitting quite right or peeling off. I was a little miffed that it took so long, but mine fits great and has stayed attached.

Also just had a problem with my rear drive unit that took my car out of commission for over a week. Cars coming out today have an updated drive unit and won't ever have that same problem (hopefully). So waiting isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe we'll even get the 3.5 HW if they figure out HW3 can't handle everything while they do shadow mode testing?

Magic 8 Ball | 11/11/2019

I bought the upgrade but will wait for 4.0 to come out to be safe.

steevsteevsteev | 11/11/2019

@Joshan Source? And was he referring to Model 3? I know that S and X retrofits have started, but that doesn't do us much good.

kaffine | 11/11/2019

@shank15217 If you don't like disaster then how about Cluster Fuck. (I was trying to be a bit more PC and not use curse words).

vmulla | 11/11/2019

Magic 8 Ball | November 11, 2019
I bought the upgrade but will wait for 4.0 to come out to be safe.
---

You mean to defer the upgrade until the next chip is available? If yes, that's a novel approach to making the car future proof.

wayne | 12/11/2019

He’s joking.

RayNLA | 12/11/2019

@kaffine
Lol...
Lol...
Lol...