Forums

Does "Rated Range" serve any purpose?

Does "Rated Range" serve any purpose?

I know some here have seen consistent numbers for rated range throughout ownership of their Model 3s (Models 3?). Others, myself included, have not. I've been everywhere from 287 to 311 (never did see that promised 325) in my LR RWD.

I am aware that these numbers mean essentially nothing. When my range dropped the first time, I contacted Tesla and had them look into my battery health, only to be told that everything was fine and that the reported number was based on charging patterns, quirks of the BMS, and random other variables. I stopped worrying about it, and it's gone back up and down a few times since. Aside from Tesla's assertion, my daily commute to work is a pretty good indicator that everything is fine. I lost 7-8% capacity each way when I took delivery of the car, and I lose 7-8% each way now, 36K miles later. This is true at pretty much any reasonable SOC.

So having said all that, what's the point of that range number? Is it just a historical leftover from ICE vehicles? Does it serve any purpose other than to freak out new owners about their "range loss"?

Incidentally, my car is set to display percentage not range. I'm only even aware of any of the above because I use TeslaFi.

Bighorn | 14/11/2019

I stick to SOC%. Rated range causes a lot of anxiety and consternation. It’s important when marketing and choosing a car, as a reference point. Not so much in ownership.

WW_spb | 14/11/2019

I tend to agree with BigH

Magic 8 Ball | 14/11/2019

Rated range is a gov requirement and shows up on the Monroney sticker. Estimated range (display in car) has nothing to do with rated ranges.

TeslaDvr | 14/11/2019

Switching to % is just to hide the problem or cheat yourself. It doesn't make things better or worse.

Let's say SR+ rated range is 240 miles. At 50%, it should show 120 miles. If the SR+ car loses rated range, say to 220 miles at 100%, then 50% would show 110 miles (and vice versa). In other words, if the battery indeed has degradation, % doesn't make the battery to have more capacity.

andy.connor.e | 14/11/2019

@TeslaDvr

You're not understanding the difference between rated range and estimated range.

TeslaDvr | 14/11/2019

@andy.connor.e

I understand the difference, and rated range showing next to the battery is what I am talking about.

All I'm saying is that when the battery loses its capacity due to degradation, % will not reveal that and rated range will.

Ajwill1131 | 14/11/2019

The rated range is a function of driving style, speed and terrain and after considerable use may also involve the battery degradation. During early ownership the rated range will inform the driver of what he can expect as a result of the way he drives and the journeys he makes.

Ajwill1131 | 14/11/2019

The rated range is a very useful tool for me because once you become accustomed to it you can expect higher or lower results depending on the driving you plan to do that day. On city driving days I usually exceed the expected range by about 10% but on freeway driving days I expect to be about 10% lower.

TeslaDvr | 14/11/2019

Put it this way:

- If you choose to show %, you would have no idea how much capacity the battery actually has. In other words, if the battery loses 50% of its capacity, the car will continue to show the battery between 0% and 100%.
- If you choose to show miles, you may, wrongly or correctly, get some idea on the actual battery capacity.

Bighorn | 14/11/2019

@Aj and @Tesla Dvr need to do some remedial work on this subject.
Rated range isn't anything but an indication of what the car thinks is the battery's capacity, something it can't measure with precision. Has nothing to do with driving style, speed or terrain, though it can get more out of whack depending on charging habits. Has absolutely nothing in newer cars to do with degradation. See first post about anxiety and consternation--case in point.

AAinSoCal | 14/11/2019

@M8B Unfortunately, TeslaFi calls the value reported in the car "rated range" and the value derived from your recent Wh/mi "estimated range". Hence the mixup on my part.

So, to amend my original post: "Rated Range" is required on the Monroney sticker. So fine, put that on the Monroney sticker. "Estimated Range," on the other hand, is an inaccurate guess at battery capacity multiplied by a fixed discharge rate. At best, it's not very useful. At worst, it gives people anxiety. So why even report it?

Magic 8 Ball | 14/11/2019

""Estimated Range," on the other hand, is an inaccurate guess at battery capacity multiplied by a fixed discharge rate. At best, it's not very useful. At worst, it gives people anxiety. So why even report it?"

You are catching on, that is why everyone says change to %. If the car has issues is will tell you via an error message.

Bighorn | 14/11/2019

@AA
You had it right the first time. Rated range is an EPA rate constant. Projected or estimated is on the energy screen and takes into account recent history. And "Trip" estimates range based on prevailing speeds and altitude along the upcoming navigated route.

lbowroom | 14/11/2019

Wrong terminology but pretty easy from context to discern what the OP meant. Just like "dealership" when referring to delivery or service center. I contend that although it's not completely accurate, it gets more accurate as you approach zero, so useful tool nonetheless. Tesla could probably save a lot of heartache if they just assigned the corresponding "correct" mileage to the battery % indicator. 100 full, display 310.... 80% 279... etc

andy.connor.e | 14/11/2019

I like the idea of having the range you see in the car have some amount of intelligence to being precise based on the persons recorded driving habits. But that would require people to not look to Tesla when their number isnt what the EPA rating is. Idk guys, i cant recall a single time i've ever heard someone who went to their manufacturer because their car was reading them a different MPG average than what the manufacturer specs their vehicles.

bradbomb | 14/11/2019

(Slightly OT) The only thing I wish was an option for the display to show percentage AND miles. I mean there is so much blank real estate on the screen next to the battery meter.

jordanrichard | 14/11/2019

I always stuck to Rated Miles because where one is going isn’t “x” % away, it is “x” miles away. I also long ago stopped paying attention to the Rated Miles when traveling on a road trip mostly because the density of the superchargers gives me that freedom.

bjrosen | 14/11/2019

One of the issues is that the slider that sets your charge level isn't precise. I've been getting 274 at what I though was 90%, but when I switched to percent it showed that it was charged to 89% not 90%. 310 * .89 is 275.9 which is much closer to the displayed range number. The range number should not be taken as an indicator of battery health.

Trekman | 14/11/2019

@jordanrichard +1
FINALLY, someone articulating what and how most people plan trips!

WW_spb | 14/11/2019

Use nav when you drive and it will show you % left when you arrive and % left for round trip. No need more miles to see if you make it or not .

FISHEV | 14/11/2019

"So having said all that, what's the point of that range number?" To show what your range is based on battery's charge and rated miles per kWh of battery capacity. In my LR AWD that is 4.13 miles per 1kWh.

Rated range takes what you should be able to get out of the car.

Estimated range is what you will likely get based on your driving of the last 10/20/30 miles on the Tesla Energy Graph. You can alter your driving to push the Estimated close to the Rated for more energy efficient driving.

Rated range is also used to show battery degradation such as this from StatsApp.

https://imgur.com/bQ8iCKC