Forums

Tesla M3, 12V issue or is it?

Tesla M3, 12V issue or is it?

Unable to use 12V Tesla Tire Repair compressor with USB connected TapTes Dual Qi wireless phone charger. 

I recently attempted to “top off” tire inflation using the air compressor from the Tesla Tire Repair Kit, which was connected to the 12V outlet in the center console. After about 90 seconds it shut off. After doing a bit of troubleshooting, determined that the 12V outlet didn’t have power. Called my service center asking how to reset power to the outlet, since a “reboot” didn’t work. They ended up sending my M3 a s/w update, which was a reinstall of the current version and this did the trick. I scheduled an appointment to determine the root cause.

I was told the center console had a power limit that was affected by my wireless phone charger, and the car was unable to provide 12V power to a Tesla tire compressor while having the wireless charger used with the portable compressor. They disconnected the charger via the USB port, and demonstrated that the 12V works with the compressor, on both my M3 and another at the shop. And I incurred a $97.50 service charge, since it was a result of using a 3rd party wireless charger.

Question - has anyone else experienced this type of problem, does it sound  right? Know of any local user method to reset the 12V outlet?

Issues - Once the 12V outlet powers off, there is no user reset, thus making a portable compressor useless, thus negating the ability to repair and/or inflate tires. 

jdcollins5 | 17/11/2019

From what I understand the circuits use electronic overload protection. When an overload is sensed it turns off the circuit. Once the overload is removed it will reset itself, evidently after a timeout.

Magic 8 Ball | 17/11/2019

Circuit should reset on its own (there are no fuses). Doubtful reloading software had anything to do with it. Yes, you can overload by trying to draw too much power from circuits so it does sound right.

reedwelch | 17/11/2019

All I can say is that the circuit didn't reset after 36 hours, but did after a s/w reinstall. This event was about 2 s/w updates back, so not sure that recent updates solved the problem, and not sure I want to try and recreate situation until there is reasonable confirmation. Just too risky not having 12V available for the tire repair/compressor, in the event needed.

Ron.Olsberg | 19/11/2019

I had the rear differential auxiliary pump, probably run by 12V, replaced by a Tesla Ranger due to a leak. After replacing the pump the car was in limp mode, due to the fact the pump needed to prime the system. The only way the Ranger could get the pump to prime and marry up to the car/firmware was to re-push the latest firmware which was already on the car. After the push and re-install and system test that happens after a firmware install, the car was no longer in limp mode. During this post install systems test, I heard the diff pump spin up. I asked how much it would cost to have firmware pushed to the car after the end of the warranty period, the Ranger had no idea. I get the feeling that many electrical devices on the car need to be married to the car/firmware to operate properly. For example, another Ranger told me the headlights have a serial number that must be integrated with the cars firmware. My plan after the warranty period is to delay the install of a firmware update if I plan to work on anything requiring electrical power. It is my hope that at least one of the following happens before the warranty period ends. The owner has an option to reinstall the firmware and/or initiate the self test or otherwise allow a method to get a device to work with the car's firmware. At this point it is not clear whether new firmware will be pushed on regular basic after the warranty period or that it will continue to be free. It might be possible that you might only get firmware updates that are safety related or at a cost who knows? Bottom line, it would VERY important to be able to self fix a problem at no cost for something similar to subject of the forum thread.

hokiegir1 | 19/11/2019

@Ron - "At this point it is not clear whether new firmware will be pushed on regular basic after the warranty period or that it will continue to be free. It might be possible that you might only get firmware updates that are safety related or at a cost who knows?"

This statement is total BS and fear-mongering. 1) There's nothing on Tesla's Software Update page that limits it to cars under warranty (https://www.tesla.com/support/software-updates). 2) There are PLENTY of Model S's out there that have been out of warranty for years and still receive updates. 3) For those with AP/EAP/FSD, the updates include advances to those features, so would need to be pushed. Given that all cars now include base AP, they will need to receive those updates.

Ron.Olsberg | 19/11/2019

The purpose of my post was not to in any way ruffle feathers or bad mouth Tesla, so far their service has been fantastic. I just wanted to relay some knowledge that might be pertinent to this forum topic. I have learned in life anything is possible that does not mean it will happen.