Forums

Elon, Remove One Pedal Driving When in Reverse

Elon, Remove One Pedal Driving When in Reverse

So I like one pedal driving, but the only time it is annoying is when you are in reverse. It would make sense to have it disabled when in reverse. Thoughts?

rob | 18/11/2019

What's the problem with Reverse? Maybe I don't back up enough to see any issues.

MAB1980 | 18/11/2019

Agree with the sentiments. I find it weird to address such a request to the CEO however. I know that’s common amongst tesla drivers but it’s still weird.

MAB1980 | 18/11/2019

Rob - I find it slows too rapidly. Since you’re typically driving slow in reverse, it’s always nearly stopping. It feels unnatural.

Raffim | 18/11/2019

Precisely, when you put the car in reverse the regenerative braking is still very strong, and it is a very unnatural/awkward feeling.

Magic 8 Ball | 18/11/2019

My thought is to practice more with it. Many times things feel awkward at first and then you come to like it.

Raffim | 18/11/2019

@magic8ball... yes I generally agree that these types of things take a little bit of time to get used to, but I doubt that we will get used to this high level of regen in reverse. We are only in reverse only for a few seconds at a time, and so the regen doesn't add much there either.

rob | 18/11/2019

It certainly felt unnatural/awkward the first few times I backed out of my garage. Its a really tight fit. But I guess I just got used to it.

But this does highlight a general issue with the car. How can you make most everybody happy? If you start making everything configurable then the car becomes too complex.

WhiteWi | 18/11/2019

Agree on reverse. It makes slow speed maneuvering in reverse hard and not precise.

Magic 8 Ball | 18/11/2019

Well I think you have the option to take it out of hold mode but you can't tell it to automatically go out of hold mode when you go in reverse. Maybe someday so it is what it is for now. I like the extra control it gives.

dmastro | 18/11/2019

I don't love one-pedal in reverse, but I'm willing to live with it to have one-pedal in drive.

That said, if the settings were separate, I'd welcome it.

Bighorn | 18/11/2019

Regen seems too strong and the go pedal is too touchy in reverse. I predicted more crunched pedestals.

RedShift | 18/11/2019

I agree. There is no point to it in reverse, really.

FISHEV | 18/11/2019

Agree also. Regen in reverse is pointless and adds degree of difficulty.

-TheJohn- | 18/11/2019

I went Whoa That's different! for the first couple of days. Now I expect it and I don't care.

model3AZ42 | 18/11/2019

I’ve had it for just over a week. I hate it in reverse. The way I back out of my garage would allow me to start coasting and cover the brake in case something happened as I coast down my drive way. Now it’s a jerky slow down and speed up. I’m not comfortable maintaining one speed in reverse with all the kids in my neighborhood. I prefer to have my foot over the brake.

I love it going forward. Let us turn it off at home or disable it in reverse which is better in my opinion.

gballant4570 | 18/11/2019

NO! Leave it alone.

ggodefroid | 18/11/2019

A toggle for Creep in Reverse would be nice

jdcollins5 | 18/11/2019

Too much regen in reverse says you are backing off of the accelerator too quickly. Ease off and learn to feather the pedal.

CST | 18/11/2019

So, is @Bighorn *always* right? :)

lbowroom | 18/11/2019

Until someone rolls backwards into something and then asks the question why doesn’t it work the same in reverse?

Bighorn | 18/11/2019

Since reverse only covers about about a tenth of the available velocity, it could be mapped better, and I suspect it will be eventually.

CST | 18/11/2019

Agreed.

jallred | 18/11/2019

Agree. Was thinking my neighbors think I’m a fool or drunk backing out of my driveway.

rsingh05 | 18/11/2019

I think the slow behavior in reverse is a feature, not a flaw. It’s safer and I like it.

rsingh05 | 18/11/2019

And I think it should stop quicker in forward too - the regen is a bit weak for my liking.

httran26 | 18/11/2019

I'm fine with reverse the way it is. I understand why they chose to program it that way so you don't have to go back and forth between the accerator and the brakes.

rsingh05 | 18/11/2019

^^^ and this. Reverse requires higher precision at lower speeds. If the regen was weaker, youd need to use the brake pedals more often, defeating the purpose.

Bighorn | 18/11/2019

Coasting with the brake allows for more precise stopping speaking from needing to jockey to within centimeters of walls and another Tesla.

Varricks | 18/11/2019

I never turned off creep, because the one time I drove without it in a friend's 3 and tried backing out of a space in a parking lot was much too stressful for me. But then around here, there seems to be a sport in trying to find a backing car to drive in behind of.
Agreed the new one-pedal is a bit brusque in reverse, but it's just another knack you'll pick up. No comment on what kind of show you'll put on next time you're in an ICE car.

rehutton777 | 18/11/2019

I concur. Reversing out of my garage I look like a drunk driver (stop, go, stop, go). The "stop-go" jerkiness also confuses my wife as she waits to get into the car once I get backed out to where she can open the door. I don't think the regen braking adds anything when backing up.

Bighorn | 18/11/2019

When I was trying to pull forward into my garage, the inching toward the wall was a bit jerky. I even got the automatic Park from lifting off the seat--first time that's ever happened.

eandmjep | 18/11/2019

It took like twice to get used to it. If backing and you need to brake, your reaction time is less as the car stops the instant u let off the gas.

63strat | 18/11/2019

For those of you with wide driveways it's probably not an issue, but for my extremely narrow, long driveway I hate it in reverse. Need option for Hold in drive, and Creep in reverse. Hold in reverse is extremely difficult because you have your foot on the accelerator the whole time, risking smacking into either of the walls which have only 3 inches of clearance on each side. Better to ride the brake in this case.

JoeRussell | 18/11/2019

It has not bothered me in reverse. I actually like it! But, hey, it being an option for those who want it gone in reverse only would be cool I guess. Though, if we keep having toggle buttons for everything, the UI would take hit because it would get really messy.

thedrisin | 19/11/2019

Hold one way, creep the other way. That would be confusing and an accident waiting to happen. I prefer hold in reverse once I got the knack of using it.

foodking | 19/11/2019

Getting used to it. I do like how i don't have to switch my foot to the brake pedal when i'm backing into my parking spot.

TickTock | 19/11/2019

For me it is perfect. Slight pressure to back out of the garage, toggle to forward without changing pressure and it is a nice smooth transition.

Bighorn | 19/11/2019

@63strat hit the nail on the head. Navigating tight spaces is challenging. If you don’t have to, you’d probably not appreciate it. There is zero logic that regen in drive should be carried over into reverse, nor anything confusing about designing it better. The way it was was better—creep is not necessary. When you’re six inches shy of the SC cord reaching, it should be a lot less fraught to move a few inches than being concerned with lunging into the pedestal.

82bert | 19/11/2019

Not an issue.

AZTesla | 19/11/2019

It seems to me that brakes are being feathered in when in slow speed, including when in reverse. As I love the 1PD for its reduction of brake use, it would be an improvement if Tesla could work on updating 1PD to rely on regen as much as possible. Might improve the dampening of speed in reverse.

This is yet another of those verbal commands that I look forward to. "Tesla, turn off reverse regen."

Bighorn | 19/11/2019

I haven’t checked, but going into hold might be making it less smooth to start moving again.

LostInTx | 19/11/2019

Agree that one-pedal driving in reverse is awkward, especially when backing down the driveway. Coasting back with a foot over the brake provides more control, especially when school-age kids are running around the neighborhood.

It would seemingly be an easy option to disable while in reverse and I anticipate seeing that option in the near future.

hokiegir1 | 19/11/2019

@AZTesla - Prior to the current software (so, before 1PD), you had to be in park to change between creep and hold -- so I'd expect that hasn't changed in the current rollout. Not sure that they will be able to implement a voice command for it if that's the case -- or, more accurately, that a voice command would be significantly helpful.

Effopec | 19/11/2019

I like it in reverse. I can see why some don't, but for my driveway & other circumstances I think it is great.

WhiteWi | 19/11/2019

It is correct as soon as you stop it puts it on hold and to start moving again you have to fight hold which results in sudden jerk movement. When you are in close proximity to the walls/cars that is not a good thing.

rdh37 | 19/11/2019

I too am "lurching" now when backing out of my downward sloping garage. I used to just let the car coast out once I got it moving (roll). I am slowly getting used to the new regen in reverse. Would I like to just have 1 pedal forward and then roll in reverse (as an option), yes I would. Is it a major issue for me, no. Will Tesla address this eventually, probably. Have a nice day.

Jtwo | 19/11/2019

I thought there was something wrong with my car when I first encountered it but after a few days with it, I've gotten used to it. I'm learning how to finesse the accelerator going forward and backward.

SteveWin1 | 19/11/2019

I actually like it in reverse after getting used to it though. I was definitely lurching at first. Having an option to toggle would be best for everyone.

neylus | 19/11/2019

It awkward for sure. I'm giving it some time, but after a week its not much less awkward. It reminds of learning to skate, forward was pretty simple but backward took 10 years (for me) :-)

dave | 19/11/2019

Is the HOLD setting saved in a user profile? If it is, a possible solution is to create a "Reverse" profile for yourself, with only the HOLD setting changed.

Pages