Forums

Cyrbertruck as fast as 2020 Corvette!

Cyrbertruck as fast as 2020 Corvette!

Today a big headline on how the new 2020 Corvette has 0-60 of 2.9 seconds. Same as the Cybertruck. GM spends years on a small two-seater, and it can't compete with the Cybertruck that seats 6 and costs $5K less. This comparison is the 2020 Corvette with the Z51 performance package that is due out in March. Now they do look a tiny bit different :)

Darthamerica | 25/11/2019

TeslaTap I agree that in cities where you're not likely to need to charge during a shift EV pickup trucks for work make a lot of sense. But out on farms or away from infrastructure this is not going to work in many cases without impacting profit margins.

TeslaTap.com | 25/11/2019

We both agree on something! Nice! Always smart to fit the solution to the need.

TeslaTap I think you'd be surprised on how much we agree on. If we discuss things like this this way more often you'll find a lot more. I'm not anti Tesla or anti EV. I just like to take a pessimistic view and critically analyze technology applications. I see EVs as an additional mode of transportation rather than panecea and replacement for ICEVs. That could change in the future with newer technologies that we don't know about yet however.

TeslaTap the biggest challenge for EVs is simply that their batteries are still a long way from the power density of gasoline and "refueling" is hard.

TeslaTap.com | 25/11/2019

EV "refueling" is far easier than ICE for many. I plug in at night that takes all of 5 seconds. No need to hunt for a gas station, wait in line, connect up, breath carcinogenic fumes and fork over a bunch of cash every week. Not sure why anyone likes ICE refueling.

Power density is fine. 500 miles of range (even if reduced a bit by cold) is more than quite a few cars/trucks, although there clearly some ICE that can go further. If you never need that range, why pay for it and/or waste cargo space with a huge gas tank. Maybe someone will offer a 1000 mile range EV, but I suspect the takeup rate to be quite small. Then again who guessed the Cybertruck would get 200,000+ reservations in a few days?

andy.connor.e | 25/11/2019

Ranges above 500 miles are unnecessary unless the vehicle is self driving. The more distance you can travel before needing to stop the better. Cybertruck is not going to replace all work trucks. If a company uses the truck for anything more than just driving around transporting supplies, its typically a level above a F-150. Have you ever seen some company trucks? They are the lowest trim no power windows or doors. Cybertruck is not going to replace every single truck.

SO | 25/11/2019

@ nukequazar | November 25, 2019
@SO, it’s the ultimate NIMBY argument. The generating plants are in poor areas.

That doesn’t address my point....at all.

nukequazar | 25/11/2019

@andy.connor.e, no doors? That's economy! :D

haha woops. I mean power windows and locks.

TeslaTap for commuting that works. For work during a shift, it may not work and you lose an hour or two of labor cost minimum. That negates fuel savings. But this is a case by base basis. Cybertrucks will be good were they are good.

If it was my company and one of my vehicles had to drive 5 minutes away and charge for 2 hours, two people would go in 2 trucks, and the would both return to the job site and go back to get the vehicle in just shy of 2 hours.

jimglas | 25/11/2019

from the same troll farm ....

Andy that's two hours of lost labor/work.

its 40 minutes lost. 5 minutes to and from the supercharger twice for 2 people. How is it 2 hours lost? You're not sitting and waiting at the supercharger.

You said two resources would go... in any case it’s time lost to expense x resources. Also what Superchargers are 5 minutes from anything? What if the Superchargers are taken by Model S/3/X owners? These are serious cost adders that need to be factored in. Sometimes an EV will be the way to go. Sometimes it won’t be. But that’s why with ICE pickups there are so many variants. No one size fits all which negates the whole “replace all ICE” hopes of some of the more naive. EVs like Cybertruck will be one of many power train options.

nukequazar | 25/11/2019

Superchargers in Home Depot lots would help.

Know what would be good here? Mobile Megapack with deployable solar array.

Free fuel on site. With scaleable solar array to meet daily construction vehicle energy demand.

sbeggs | 25/11/2019

@nukequazar,
Good one!

Agree that’s innovative. The Army has a similar idea with mobile mini nuclear reactors to power FOBs and COPs.

NKYTA | 25/11/2019

Andy, you’ve reengaged the Russian trolls on this thread.

Mind the mantra:

Tesla is good...
But, but...Taycan,Big Oil, Big NatGas is better.

TT is a nice guy, but these guys have been ruining the forums for years with their bullshit.

@andy, if you care, be worried about being associated with those two. On you.

andy.connor.e | 26/11/2019

You cant convince me that false narratives are true. I'll ask to provide evidence and wait. Sometimes i just enjoy the conversation because it helps get me thinking.

Pages