Forums

Winter tire and wheel options - anyone have TSportsline

Winter tire and wheel options - anyone have TSportsline

Time for winter tires and wheels. I've got the stock 18" aero wheels. Didn't pay much attention to them when I ordered. I got 18's to be pragmatic (lower cost, noise, smoother ride). Regardless of my assumptions in that area, I'm considering some perhaps more attractive options for the 2nd set of wheels.

Opt 1: Tesla 19's
They're $3500 with tires so a bit expensive. How's the comfort and cost of these ? From my initial look, the 19 tires aren't tons more money than 18's but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I like that they're original Tesla though.

Option 2: TSportsline TST wheels look great (prefer they didn't have a big brand stamp on them) and are 18", even will fit on the Performance assuming I get my model Y with that option. They're catered to Tesla cars so everything will fit. Only downside I can see is they're not Tesla original equipment but save about 1k. Otherwise I don't know this brand. Anyone know who mfr's the wheels ?

Option 3: Just get snow tires. I was surprised how much wear I had on the rear tires after 15k+ miles. Not sure they have much life left. The fronts still look great.

I looked briefly at Enkei and a few other brands. The Enkei RPF1 looks nice albeit a bit old vs the Tesla designs. Do other mfr's make a wheel anything like the TST's or the Tesla Sport wheel ? (or even an attractive-ish aero wheel).

Thanks for any thoughts from any of you who've been through this.

Idahorefugee | 02/12/2019

I'm curious about the 18" TST wheels as well (I might be purchasing a set in the spring). You motivated me to try Googling these puppies and I found a couple of threads over a teslamotorsclub.com. People seem happy with them except that they wish they were less expensive.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/t-sportline-18-inch-turbines.126...
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/evt-vs-tst-18-wheels.112957/

peldor427 | 02/12/2019

I have the 18" TST for my Performance model, along with Hakkapeliitta snow tires and I'm very happy with them. Had them all winter last year and just reinstalled last week. And the TSportline is a center cap that isn't required - you can replace with the Tesla cap if you want to buy it from Tesla.
One other positive about TSportline - When I purchased last year I had a very slow leak on one tire/wheel. After careful inspection I found it to be a very small crack in the wheel letting air escape. I contacted TSportline and they very quickly replaced it. I've had no problems since then.

peldor427 | 02/12/2019

@Idahorefugee - I'm an Idaho immigrant. :P

12Brent | 02/12/2019

I bought a set of the black 19" turbine style wheels from EV Wheels Direct. I put some Michelin Xice Xi3 snow tires on them and they've been great. They are about 5 lbs heavier than they aero wheels, so you'll notice some loss of efficiency from the 18" aero wheels, but it's not too bad. Hard to give an exact number because the snow tires are also heavier and less efficient. The center caps for those wheels (and probably the T-Sportline wheels) just snap out and you can replace them with the stock Tesla center caps from your current wheels.

GHammer | 02/12/2019

I have the 19" TSS's that I use for my Summer tires and have swapped my 18" Aeros to winter use. I also have 20" and 19" TST's on my S's for winter. I've had the TST's for 3 years now, no problems, look great.

ClosDeBen | 02/12/2019

@GHammer I wanted to do the same. I was put off by the need to toss my existing tires to do the swap to 19's (also if I do this with Tesla 19's) but the swap is now a bit cheaper given my existing rear's are pretty worn.

Tesla's site says their 19 Sport wheels don't work on the Performance model but they had also incorrectly stated this for those new Gemini wheels that despite their claim worked fine on the Performance model.

GHammer | 02/12/2019

"I wanted to do the same. I was put off by the need to toss my existing tires to do the swap to 19's "

Wasn't an issue for me, we put nearly 50k on in the first year. ;)

Idahorefugee | 03/12/2019

@peldor427 - different strokes for different folks :-).

nicej | 08/12/2019

I got a set of the 18" TSTs for my M3P for winter wheels, and while they didn't have it on the pictures on the website when I ordered them, the wheels that showed up basically have a "TSportline" tramp stamp on the edge of the turbine, totally destroying the symmetry. They're going back.

Idahorefugee | 09/12/2019

The photo of the TST on the model 3 wheels page shows the stamp on the edge of the rim (https://tsportline.com/collections/18-tesla-wheels-model-3), it's the 2nd wheel shown. When you click through to the TST page, the pictures show wheels without the stamp.

I don't like the stamp either.