Forums

HW3.0 upgrades appears to be going LIFO and not FIFO as it should be

HW3.0 upgrades appears to be going LIFO and not FIFO as it should be

HW3.0 upgrades appears to be going LIFO and not on FIFO basis. One would think tesla would be fair and give higher priority to people who put the faith in Tesla and plunked in money for the FSD right at the very beginning when it was first offered 3 years ago.

Apparently so many of the folks who bought the car in 2019 and 2018 have already got the upgrade. I have heard very few who bought the car in late 2017 has got it yet.

I am also told that the upgrade, whenever your car becomes eligible, will be provided only to those who schedule a service with Tesla for something else (like annual service or other repairs). The SC says they will not schedule an appointment for HW3.0 upgrade by itself. Go figure.

girishfall2010 | 20/12/2019

I just spoke to a customer support over chat on this. Mine is a 2017 ModelX with AP2/HW2. This is what I was told. To quote them "HW3 upgrade is done to meet the features released, since no new hardware is needed for the features you have in your car, immediate upgrade to HW3 is not possible"

My car came with Enhanced Autopilot when I bought it and I was thinking of going for the upgrade as it’s now available on the iOS app.

As the OP asked, any AP2 owner who paid for FSD and has received the HW2 upgrade out there? Can you please confirm what they upgraded as well?

jimglas | 20/12/2019

HW3 upgrade is only for those who purchased FSD

Teslapalooza | 20/12/2019

My MX is Dec 2017 MX and FSD paid at time of purchase of car. Wondering if anyone out there with eth same vintage has got the upgrade yet.

TeslaTap.com | 20/12/2019

As far as I know, no one with MCU1 has the HW3 upgrade. Turns out there is some incompatibilities that Tesla has not solved yet. I got the sense it was unexpected and not something easy to fix either. My hope is all MCU1 cars that get HW3 AP processor are updated to MCU2, but that's a long shot :) One can hope!

raffidesigns | 20/12/2019

There are a lot of mixed signals. Some are saying that the service center will be in touch, some are indicting to make a service appointment. It’s not a clear answer.

LTR | 21/12/2019

100D, ordered March 2018; delivered June 2018.
Made a service appointment last week to replace door seals on FWDs (after rain, when open, significant amount of water drips onto rear seats.)
Got message from Rocklin SC that my HW3 computer was 'there' and ready to install. So they will need the car for the day. No issues requesting loaner. So it looks like 2020 will be the year of HW3 for me.

LTR | 21/12/2019

BTW - I paid the $2,000 'add on' in 2019 to get the Full Self Driving 'suite' before the price went up....

raffidesigns | 21/12/2019

I just scheduled an appointment for the FSD chip on the 31st. My car is 2018 Model X W/ MCU 1. Hopefully it goes through ok.

TeslaTap.com | 21/12/2019

@raffidesigns - Let us know. My guess is the appointment will be canceled, since they don't have a solution yet for MCU1 cars.

raffidesigns | 21/12/2019

@TeslaTap.com Oh most definitely. It is scheduled as mobile service (if that makes any difference).

Bighorn | 22/12/2019

Did your rudimentary analysis include geographical co-location with a service center that's vetted to do the update? Plus the point TeslaTap made about MCUs.

Teslapalooza | 22/12/2019

Yes, I am close to an SC, and what I said in my posting is what they told me. Since none of owners of MCU1 cars have responded to this thread so far, I am guessing what TeslaTap has said may be what is going on..

mbirnie51 | 23/12/2019

My March 2017 build MX 75D was purchased with EAP. In March of 2019 I purchased the FSD upgrade. In Sept of 2019, I had a Berkeley Ca. SC appointment and requested the new installation of my FSD processor, they responded that there were none available at that time. Since then, I had an issue that needed Tesla Support, and I also inquired about the FSD upgrade. Their response was "Your SC will be in touch with you to schedule the upgrade when parts become available". There was no mention if Berkeley is now my preferred SC, since most of my SC visits were in Dublin.
I wish Tesla would send us some correspondence regarding this with most up-to-date info on FSD. Having $2K out there with no added value to my vehicle, and seeing other vehicles with more features is not fair to those customers not getting upgrade. Maybe @TeslaTaps comments are true, but I'd like some info instead of being kept in the dark.

mbirnie51 | 23/12/2019

My March 2017 build MX 75D was purchased with EAP. In March of 2019 I purchased the FSD upgrade. In Sept of 2019, I had a Berkeley Ca. SC appointment and requested the new installation of my FSD processor, they responded that there were none available at that time. Since then, I had an issue that needed Tesla Support, and I also inquired about the FSD upgrade. Their response was "Your SC will be in touch with you to schedule the upgrade when parts become available". There was no mention if Berkeley is now my preferred SC, since most of my SC visits were in Dublin.
I wish Tesla would send us some correspondence regarding this with most up-to-date info on FSD. Having $2K out there with no added value to my vehicle, and seeing other vehicles with more features is not fair to those customers not getting upgrade. Maybe @TeslaTaps comments are true, but I'd like some info instead of being kept in the dark.

raffidesigns | 23/12/2019

Tesla Mobile service cancelled my appointment.

“ Good morning, This is Tesla Mobile Service. You will receive communication from Tesla when your vehicle is ready for the upgrade to HW3. At this time, your profile is not flagged and thus we are unable to order this hardware. Keep in mind that there is no difference in functionality between your current hardware and HW3. When you are alerted that it is time for your upgrade, please note that Mobile Service is currently not able to perform the retrofits, and you will need to schedule at a service center. Thank you.”

TeslaTap.com | 24/12/2019

Sorry to hear the news. Sort of expected though.

inconel | 24/12/2019

EM just confirmed "hopefully in a few months for cars with AP2.0 and MCU1". So not available yet. Hopefully they will decide it is cheaper to give us a brand new car than retrofit :-p

Teslapalooza | 27/12/2019

Same response from my SC. @inconel, that would be very nice :-) But I guess it will remain our pipe dream.

ruhtra48 | 29/12/2019

I purchased my X in mid Oct 2019. Took delivery in Nov. It's a 2020 model. I expected that I would have the most current HW3 but I dont think I do. Now I will have to struggle to get it. I was reading that there is a significant increase in performance between 2.5 and 3.

Bighorn | 29/12/2019

I think all Ravens have 3 hardware.

TeslaTap.com | 29/12/2019

@ruhtra48 - You have HW3, but it really doesn't matter today - almost zero difference in operation until they roll out more software, and it requires purchasing FSD to have any future difference. No struggle required.

namrata.agarwal | 01/01/2020

Dec 2016 Model S with FSD paid in full at purchase. Appointment cancelled with following: While Tesla Service Centers did start performing FSD upgrades, they are only available for certain VIN ranges at this time. Tesla will be contacting you when it becomes available for your VIN. We will be cancelling your service appointment at this time. Thank you!

markfaraone | 03/01/2020

Has anyone with AP2,0 been upgraded to HW3 ?

markfaraone | 03/01/2020

Has anyone with AP2.0 been upgraded to HW3 ?

TeslaTap.com | 03/01/2020

@markfaraone - No. As noted in many threads, Tesla is still working on the HW 3 AP retrofit design for vehicles with HW2.0. There is no kit yet available by service to handle HW2.0 cars. It's coming - likely to start rolling out in the next couple of months.

markfaraone | 04/01/2020

Thank you

ScooterJim | 05/01/2020

Mobile Tech was out to repair my wiper washer problem. Had the wrong part. I have 2016 X90D with AP 2.0 I asked about the upgrade to HW 3.0. He said design not done yet. Besides changing circuit boards, he said all the cameras have to be replaced upgrading to HW 2.5 cameras. Sounds like major hardware replacements..

mathwhiz | 05/01/2020

I suspect they've also been holding the 10.2 update (2019.40.50...) for MCU1/HW2.0 cars until they release the HW 3 AP retrofit kit. I noticed that, at least for my 2019 Model X P100D, updates appear to have been limited to cars with VIN's above around 91000.

TeslaTap.com | 05/01/2020

@ScooterJim - That's great news on the cameras. It could mean we'll get dashcam too, as HW2.0 wasn't supposed to get dashcam with AP3.

Teslapalooza | 06/01/2020

This is the best ever news for the new year for those of us on 2.0 :-) Keeping fingers crossed and staying optimistic.

Teslapalooza | 23/01/2020

Any movement on this upgrade? Anyone knows?

bushidosunny | 25/01/2020

I have a model S AP2.0 with no dashca. Do newer model S/X's with AP3.0 and MCU2.0 have dashcams?

Teslapalooza | 27/01/2020

Yes, S/X's with HW3.0(a.k.a. FSD capable hardware) and MCU2.0 have dashcams. Also S/X's with HW2.5 and MCU2.0 have dashcams.

TeslaTap.com | 27/01/2020

MCU2 is not needed for Dashcam features. Just HW2.5 or later. There are plenty of cars with HW2.5 and MCU1 that have the dashcam feature.

It now looks like HW2.0 owners who get the HW3 AP processor will be getting replacement cameras. The camera upgrade is not officially confirmed yet but it seems very likely now. If so, it's very possible the dashcam feature will be made active,even with MCU1 for those that bought FSD and get the HW3 AP processor.

Vawlkus | 29/01/2020

@Teslatap
I’m not sure that MCU 1 has the processor and memory bus to handle dashcam. It can’t even handle Sentry Mode, even though I can activate it.
I think dashcam will be MCU 2 and up.

TeslaTap.com | 29/01/2020

@Vawlkus - perhaps you didn't understand me. There are plenty of MCU1 cars that have the dashcam feature today. It does require HW2.5, which has a more advanced AP processor along with color cameras.

My MCU1 Sentry mode works fine on my AP2.0 car - just no recordings as is expected.

I'm hopeful that if Tesla installs the HW3.0 AP processor and replaces the cameras, we may get dashcam features, even if we have MCU1. Of course a MCU2 upgrade would be fantastic, just not expecting it.

Vawlkus | 30/01/2020

Really? I thought that MCU2 and AP2.5 were released simultaneously and that dashcam could not run on the MCU1 hardware.

I know MCU1 is useless at displaying webpages (or at least mine is), and I’ve always attributed that to hardware constraints in MCU1. That constraint would make sense on why dashcam and Sentry mode recordings are unavailable on the earlier cars.

TeslaTap.com | 30/01/2020

@Vawlkus - For S/X:

HW2.5 - 1-Aug-2017
MCU2 - 1-March-2018

So 7 months of production with MCU1 and HW2.5. While I don't have this combination, others have confirmed dashcam works fine with MCU1 and HW2.5. It appears the limiting factor is the AP processor, which does all the camera processing. A second factor may be that HW2.0 has monochrome cameras, and Tesla didn't want to release the dashcam on HW2.0 cars with monochrome images.

My guess is all the new features have consumed space to make the browser not work as well (RAM and/or Code memory). It has never been a great performer.

Teslapalooza | 31/01/2020

Another aspect that cars with MCU1 does not have enough CPU power/memory is the Entertainment feature that includes YouTube etc. Not a big deal for me, but just saying.

Vawlkus | 31/01/2020

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in line for the FSD hardware, and I’d love to get Sentry mode recordings locally & dashcam. I’m just tempering my expectations. :D

markcohen | 06/02/2020

Just confirming what TeslaTap said... I am one of the ppl who has an X with MCU1 and AP2.5. Dashcam works fine.

JthePilot | 08/02/2020

My '17 S is AP2.5 MCU1 and dashcam/Sentry work well.

Still wondering if MCU1 will ever work with AP3.0 though.

TeslaTap.com | 08/02/2020

@JthePilot - MCU1 does very little other than display info for AP. The AP3 processor does all the heavy lifting, so MCU1 works fine with AP3.

Waldek | 09/02/2020

@teslatap are you positive that we folks with ap2 and mcu1 have monochrome cameras? I had my side repeater replaced by mobile tech and while he was doing it he was verifying parts over the phone with Tesla engineers he was told it is same hardware he just needs to switch it to monochrome mode and this engineer mentioned something that other existing camera may be switched to color mode too... I interrupted them on the phone as I was concerned having one camera different than others... so maybe dashcam and sentry comes to us with HW3 upgrade. Seems likes very unlikely MCU2 upgrade will come for free as seems like not needed for FSD. But let’s home there is incompatibility that will make Tesla have to upgrade us to MCU2 :-)

Vawlkus | 11/02/2020

Whether it’s covered or not, I want it. :P
When I go for my FSD hardware, I’m getting that, the MCU2 upgrade and the bio defense gear as well. Might as well go for the gusto :D

TeslaTap.com | 11/02/2020

@Waldek - Interesting - I had not heard that before. It makes sense that current cameras could be used in a monochrome mode for replacements. The ones installed for HW2.0 are monochrome (or really monochrome and red). They are missing the filters for color, so I don't see how the could be "switched" to color. It could be that some cars at the end of the production of HW2.0 got the color cameras in the transition to HW2.5, but have no way to confirm if that happened or not.

Vawlkus | 12/02/2020

It depends on the data cable used to pass the video from the cameras to the hardware. It could be a camera swap is viable in some cases where the monochrome cameras and the color cameras use the same amount of wires to transfer data. *shrug* too many variables to know for certain.

TeslaTap.com | 12/02/2020

@Vawlkus - The camera data is serial and the same cables are used for both color and monochrome cameras. I'm also about 95% sure the data formats used are the same too. The cameras are fairly sophisticated and you can send data to the camera to activate/deactivate various options and set some simple modifications to the camera image and resolution. For example, you can have the color camera return a monochrome image.

Vawlkus | 14/02/2020

If that’s true, I don’t see why the cameras can’t be swapped to accommodate FSD hardware. Sure it means a little work to get the side cameras (and possibly the forward ones as well), but the rear camera is already color.

I’m gonna have to see if I can talk with the local Ranger and see what he knows.

TeslaTap.com | 14/02/2020

@Vawlkus - My expectation is all 7 cameras will be replaced as part of the HW3.0 FSD upgrade on HW2.0 cars. As you noted the rear likely doesn't need replacement.

Pages