Forums

Model Y is not a true 7-passenger vehicle as advertised

Model Y is not a true 7-passenger vehicle as advertised

I was told by a good source that the model Y third row seat will not fit a real person. They would have to be very small. I have my second model X and i always get a 7 seater. i need the space, i was really looking to sell my e350 to get a model Y. but i was unsure of the seats. now the truth is out
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4314281-tesla-need-to-talk-model-y
Tesla give the model Y more room, i know it will change the car, but you will get more for the money, with the added space. not everyone can get a model X, buy the model Y would be the change.
put it to a vote, see how may people would want the space.
just like cybertruck i would get one but it only seats 6, there is no room for a 7 seater. this should also be able to have 7 seats.

what do i know, i only buy what i need, and use them. none of my cars sit still.

jimglas | 28/12/2019

Seeking alpha is an unreliable source

andy.connor.e | 28/12/2019

This was a twitter post that the seeking alpha article used as evidence:
https://twitter.com/robinivski/status/1184785880256581632

Why are people speculating and manufacturing doubt about a vehicle they did not themselves sit in? Ask yourself why someone would want you to think it wont fit 7 people when they have themselves not verified whether or not it is actually capable of doing so?

SamO | 28/12/2019

I’ve ridden in the Y. The 3rd row seats are small, ideal for kids like the Model S third row, the Audi Q7 third row and any number of SUV 3rd rows.

If you think this is the X or Suburban 3rd row...you will be disappointed.

jordanrichard | 28/12/2019

Who said it was designed to hold 7 adults?

Ever look inside a Porsche 911? There are four seats and it is even listed as a 4 passenger, yet no adult is really going to fit back there.

TeslaTap.com | 28/12/2019

@kilos1 - "Model Y is not a true 7-passenger vehicle as advertised"

Tesla does zero paid advertising. Not sure what you consider true 7-passenger vehicle either. Seems to me if there are 7 seats, it's is a 7-passenger vehicle, even if the rear row only holds smaller people. This is standard for the industry.

Wormtown Kris | 28/12/2019

Gosh, if Seeking Alpha heard it on Twitter, it must be true. End of discussion!
Who ever said it would seat 7 adults? If you assumed that, you should have done a bit of research. Thank God Seeking Alpha showed you the light!

kilos1 | 28/12/2019

when you try to order a seven seater, tesla will not show the seats of the 3 row. so they know there is a problem.
there may be time to fix the problem.
if you order a model x 7 seats you will see the added seats in photo.
listed for a model y
Room for Seven
Room for up to seven adults with optional third row
the source that i listed was my second source showing the problem.
the first source that i had also told me that it was small (3 row),. and they was also holding back on their order.
like SamO he stated he had a ride in one.
i just hope tesla fix problem, tesla is not like the other auto makers, (not yet0 this keeps the in front.

"when you try to order a seven seater, tesla will not show the seats of the 3 row. so they know there is a problem."

Model Y is not out yet. Did you notice that portion when selecting the 7 seats that says:
"Seven Seat Interior Available in 2021"

I do not understand what you are getting your panties in a wad about.

kilos1 | 28/12/2019

the model y is already made and on the streets in calf usa, in a test mode
when you put your money up, you would like it to follow thru.and know what is the outcome.
yes your right 'Seven Seat Interior Available in 2021".
tesla is on a roll.
thanks for the insight

Wormtown Kris | 28/12/2019

Tesla is going to start producing the Model Y in a few months, and selling them shortly after that. This is a form factor that they know is going to be successful, and it is much too late to re-engineer a larger vehicle. This is not a problem, per se, as much as it is a spec that unfortunately does not fit your needs. Could they clarify the text a bit, perhaps. But I do not think any reasonable person who saw the reveal or the "spy" shots of beta Model Ys being texted on public roads would see that vehicle and think you could fit 7 linebackers in it. And very few Y buyers are planning to haul their men's beer league hockey team in it.
Tesla is a small manufacturer, so it will be quite some time before they come out with a third SUV. Unfortunately, you will need to choose between an X or a Y, (or a CT if you need to haul six adults, not seven).

with your logic, the cybertruck is already made. be realistic dude

jordanrichard | 28/12/2019

Well, not to be the bearer of bad news, but those rear seats are not going to get bigger. The Model Y is sharing the same skateboard as the Model 3.

Uncle Paul | 28/12/2019

Like most smaller 7 seater SUV's the smalles passengers will go in the way back, then middle sized people in the middle row, and the largest passengers in the front seat.

Imaging Model Y will not fit 7 linebackers, but most intelligent people will be able to hold 7 various sized people in a pinch.

Even in my relaticely large Model X, I will put the largest people in the front seats and the smaller 3 in the middle seats of my 5 seater.

Gotta be reasonable here.

On a side note, I believe that the Model Y will be the largest volume seller of all time.

Uncle Paul | 28/12/2019

Like most smaller 7 seater SUV's the smalles passengers will go in the way back, then middle sized people in the middle row, and the largest passengers in the front seat.

Imaging Model Y will not fit 7 linebackers, but most intelligent people will be able to hold 7 various sized people in a pinch.

Even in my relaticely large Model X, I will put the largest people in the front seats and the smaller 3 in the middle seats of my 5 seater.

Gotta be reasonable here.

On a side note, I believe that the Model Y will be the largest volume seller of all time.

FactDoc | 29/12/2019

I have 5 kids
From 2 weeks old to 7 years
The Model Y is exactly what I need
Cannot be designed more perfectly

reed_lewis | 29/12/2019

Every manufacturer makes different cars for different needs. My neighbor had a Ford Excursion because they have 7 kids and needed to transport a bunch of them at a time. So for them a large vehicle was needed. Others need more seats because they 'always' carry 6 other adults with them.

Will the Model Y or Cyber Truck meet everyone's needs? Of course not. But I submit that the number of people who actually need a true 7 adult passenger vehicle are significantly less than the number who need 5 seats.

What @kilos1 is doing is extrapolating his needs onto everyone else. This is like people who say that since a Tesla cannot tow a 25 foot boat 400 miles without stopping means the Tesla is useless to everyone. Or the people who use a pickup truck for farming or the like who believe that since the vehicle cannot do something that they 'need' that therefore nobody will be able to use it because everyone uses their vehicle the same way they use it.

This reminds me of the no EV owners who post things like "I drive 600 miles without stopping every day" when they own a car that only goes 300 miles on a fillup and usually drive 30 miles a day.

When I was at the Tesla factory the tour guide (who used to be the sales manager at a location) told me a story about people who would walk in and exclaim that since the Tesla could not drive to Vegas without stopping it was useless because that was something that they did all the time. He would explain that you could stop and super charge for a few minutes and then make it with ease. Since the customer's fears about range were allayed, the customer would then acknowledge that they have never driven to Vegas and most likely would never do it anyways.

jordanrichard | 29/12/2019

Just to add to reed_lewis’s last paragraph, many naysayers spout off what they have heard versus really experienced. I have lost count over the years of how many times in response my saying how far my car can go, people have said, “..... well, my car can go 350.” To this I always respond with, “,,,,ya, but do you really drive 350 miles, which is 4-5 hours of driving, without stopping?” That question makes them pause to reflect on what they just said. It seems as if they are just knee-jerk responding because it is in their heads that EVs can’t go as far, so they point out their range to sort of defend/prove the old way of thinking.

With that said, I have noticed a recent change in people’s responses to my range. It is becoming more common to say, “....that’s about a tank of gas” or “that’s not bad”.

andy.connor.e | 29/12/2019

@Maxxer

False! What you need is cybertruck. When the kids misbehave, they go in the vault.

jerrykham | 29/12/2019

I think the original poster's first mistake is reading anything on seeking alpha. That site is a haven for shorts and trolls (and not just against Tesla; it is the site's raison d'être).

FISHEV | 29/12/2019

We managed six in a six seater X but young couple in back seat had to do Rodin imitations to make it work. Third row is not for adults.

People need to look at it to see if it fits their needs. True on all third rows except the biggest SUV's.

Uncle Paul | 29/12/2019

If you look at true 7 seaters, they are HUGE trucks. Body on frame construction.

New Surburban and Expedition seat 7 but they are huge gas guzzlers that don't handle, barely fit into a normal parking space and are rediculous to drive when you are not carrying 7.

The smaller SUV's are much easier to live with on a daily basis, cost less and are more fuel efficient.

Real answer for carrying 7 is the mini-van. People have a hard time being seen in one of those, unless transporting a bunch of kids.

TabascoGuy | 29/12/2019

Uncle Paul, my Escalade gets better mileage than any pickup I've ever owned, handles very well, and, I've never had any trouble fitting into a regular sized parking spot.

If the "Real answer" is riding around in a minivan with my knees jammed up into my chin, then count me as a hard pass.

limfamily | 29/12/2019

You do realized that Model Y is based on Model 3, right? It is meant to compete in Audi Q5, BMW X3, and etc segment, not compete with true 7 seater Suburban or MB GLS.

Auto manufacturers tries to produce different sizes and price points to accommodate all segments of potential buyers. Model Y is not for buyers needing a true full-time 7 seaters. But it is “7 seater” capable as advertised.

kilos1 | 29/12/2019

When I bought my 1st Tesla model X, there was a lot of problems in the design. Because I am a customer and user, I voice my opinion to the manufacturer. They have the option to listen to my opinions comments or suggestions or not. Feedback always a good thing to a manufacturer. I can point out quite a few items that the model X had problems in. And I had informed Tesla of this and later models they will found to be fixed or modify. So what I’m saying is if you put it out there you don’t know what can be done.
Also sure there’s other manufacturers that can seat 7 full adults, like 1 of the person has said which was a minivan. And this is true the Nissan quest was a true 7 seater. Which I also owned and traveled all over the United States with it. Like the gentleman stated earlier about range, I have no problems traveling anywhere knowing that I can always get a charge and keep going. If you knew the range of the 1st model X, I was still going to Vegas at least 2 times in a year. Never once thought about it was a problem stopping and charging.
So when you’re doing a lot of traveling or moving with a lot of people in your car you want to ensure there is enough room for everybody to travel comfortably.

jordanrichard | 30/12/2019

kilos1, right we get that but you are requesting something from a vehicle that isn't designed big enough to hold 7 full grown adults for a road trip. The physical size of the Model Y is dictated by the shared platform with the Model 3.

Uncle Paul | 30/12/2019

tabascoman...I was not talking about the earlier Escalades, but the new Surbaban and Elcalade that GM just announced..Ginormous.

TabascoGuy | 30/12/2019

I didn't hear about that, I'll have to take a look just for curiosities sake.

rxlawdude | 30/12/2019

When someone argues after repeatedly being corrected about his assertions, it's time to classify them with a TEA score. Here, 85%.

kaffine | 31/12/2019

Did anyone ever think the model Y was going to hold 7 large adults? The rear seats in the model 3 don't have enough room if you have 4 large adults in the car.

kilos1 | 31/12/2019

it seems that all small cars start small, but end up getting bigger. for example the mini cooper, that car started as a 4 seater. now it is a 5 seater. in time tesla will enlarge both models 3 and y. to meet demand. everyone is right, in what is said. eveyone have a nice new year.

Darryl | 01/01/2020

I think there isn’t a question that the rear two seats on the Model Y will be designed for small children (not teenagers.)

andy.connor.e | 01/01/2020

Probably not comfortable for someone 6ft tall

Yodrak. | 01/01/2020

"in time tesla will enlarge both models 3 and y. to meet demand."

The time is now, models S and X are available to meet the demand for something larger than models 3 and Y.

Xerogas | 01/01/2020

In time, kilos1 will rename the clickbait title so it becomes accurate, and doesn’t accuse Tesla of lying about something OP knows nothing about.

blue adept | 01/01/2020

FUD is as FUD does....

Kathy Applebaum | 02/01/2020

I've never owned a 5 passenger car that will seat 5 average adults. There's no news here.

jordanrichard | 02/01/2020

Kathy +1. In a MS, 3 adults in the back seat makes for a snug fit.

BadgerErickson | 02/01/2020

IDK, looking at the press photos with seats down I could fit at least 7 adults into the rear area with seats down, + the driver and passenger up front= 9.

I count it as a 9 seater. Better up the MSRP price......?

FactDoc | 02/01/2020

We could fit maybe 10 or 11 Badgers?
Humans with no brains are space-savvy