Forums

Autopilot Disengagement

Autopilot Disengagement

Am I the only one that thinks disengaging autopilot with the steering wheel should also turn off cruise control? I generally disengage with the right stalk which turns off both. When I disengage with the wheel it is because autopilot needs correcting (bad lane markings, or trying to take a corner too wide, etc) and I feel it would be safer to give me complete control of the car instead of just disengaging auto steer.

I've had my M3 since April of 19 so I'm used to it now, but it's one of the rare places where I feel like Tesla got it wrong.

edwardjstewart | 15/01/2020

I'm on the other side of this fence - I would prefer a stalk option to turn off AP and leave TACC engaged. There are times I want to take control of steering but speed and following distance are fine; jerking the wheel can be unsettling to inattentive passengers. The turn signal turning AP off is good, which leaves the TACC engaged, but not appropriate unless you're actually changing lanes.

derotam | 15/01/2020

Tesla can't win with this. If they only disengage auto-steering, people complain as you have. If they disengage everything, then people will complain that the sudden regen is dangerous if you don't take over acceleration at the same time.

You can only ever make some of the people happy some of the time.

EVRider | 15/01/2020

Keep in mind that people with the new basic AP, which does not have Auto Lane Change, have to disengage Autosteer whenever they change lanes, so having that disengage TACC also would be impractical.

It’s very easy to disengage TACC with a quick tap on the brake.

hokiegir1 | 15/01/2020

@statguy - It's just you. For the bad lane markings or corner too wide, there's little reason for me to also take care of speed maintenance, so taking the steering only is fine. If I need to do both, it's easy enough to flip the stalk as I'm adjusting my grip on the wheel, or hit the brake if I need to slow down at the same time.

NorthValley | 15/01/2020

I think the set up 'as is' is just perfect for me.

statguy | 15/01/2020

Looks like it's just me then. @evrider thats a good point about auto lane change, I have FSD so I never deal with that. My complaint here is minimal and I have adjusted just fine using the system as is. Just seems like if tapping the break and lifting the stalk give you full control, jerking the wheel should too.

statguy | 15/01/2020

Looks like it's just me then. @evrider thats a good point about auto lane change, I have FSD so I never deal with that. My complaint here is minimal and I have adjusted just fine using the system as is. Just seems like if tapping the break and lifting the stalk give you full control, jerking the wheel should too.