Forums

What is your annual KWH production in So Cal Inland Areas

What is your annual KWH production in So Cal Inland Areas

Trying to figure out system size and it would help if folks who have system installed in Socal, specially inland where there is little marine layer or fog in summers. can you please post:
1. Your system size - KW
2. Your annual production - KWH
3. What panels and inverter.

Planning to get 9KW system and I have option to go bigger if needed, but dont want to oversize and sell to SCE fro 0.02/KWH. rather produce just enough.

Appreciate your responses.

Jones | 21/01/2020

Not exactly in your area (data is for Napa). 38 deg north
10 kW system (SunPower modules with SunnyBoy inverter)
10 years of data:
Annualized production is 42 kWHrs per day with a midsummer peak of about 62 kWHrs
Array oriented at 225 degrees (SW)

infofiles | 22/01/2020

@Jones, thanks. that is decent production. I read some folks getting nearly double in KWH to their KW system in Socal.

gregbrew | 22/01/2020

I'm in coastal So. CA, and get average 8.4MWh per year from a 5kW near ideal South-facing array. My peak months are in Spring (April) and Fall (August), when I average nearly 30kWh per day. The slope of my roof and panel heating causes peak production to *not* be in June, where many folks assume it is.

My inverter is 4.2kW AC (ABB) and my 19 panels (unknown manufacturer) are older 265W DC units. I've seen clipping only a few times, so the additional cost of a larger inverter would never be recovered in increased production over the life of my system. The typical industry ratio of inverter AC capacity to panel ideal DC capacity is .85:1. This is because panels rarely ever produce their rated capacity in real-World applications. Rated PV panel capacity is measured under ideal, laboratory conditions.

Depending on siting, I'd think you could do better than what I get, but inland heat is a concern. Panels lose efficiency at much over about 75 degrees F. Your higher temps inland could possibly offset any improvement you get from lack of the marine layer that I have. Tesla (and any other provider) should have these variables built into their system design algorithms.

M3NOICE | 22/01/2020

Inland San Diego
System 6.7kW with Enphase Micros, facing South
2019 production: 11,629 kWh
2019 consumption: 11,279 kWh (2 Model 3s) - It seems I sized them just right.

infofiles | 22/01/2020

Great. it justifies my decision to not do powerwall as few extra panels should offset higher tier TOU rate, powerwalls would never make financial sense at current prices. I am hoping to get north of 15KWH on my super efficient 9KW latest generation LG panels, rated at 21.7% efficiency and microinverters rated for 97.5% efficiency.

tahoebook | 23/01/2020

Inland San Diego
System 6.7kW with Enphase Micros, 17 Panasonic 330 panels facing South, 5 east
2019 production: 12,416 kWh
2019 consumption: 15,119 kWH (2 EV's) - SDGE TOU 5 residential grid plan-generated over $300 in offset credits

infofiles | 23/01/2020

I am thinking doing 20% panels face west if possible. this would get me a lot of energy at peak times 4-7 PM when I would be drawing most from grid at 3X the rate. has anyone done anything like this?

Nakid | 23/01/2020

9.92kW system in Norco, CA (inland empire)
2019 production 15,036kWh
330W panasonic panels
not sure which inverters I have, but I have 2.

Jones | 23/01/2020

I am really happy with my 225 degree orientation. Foggy mornings in Napa almost year round, so early production is always problematic. My orientation really emphasizes mid-day and early evening, so I get max advantage relative to TOU pricing. The newest PG&E rates are bloody awful in terms of ROI for solar without a battery - take a look at your current and probable rate schedules before you decide. The pencil pushers at the utility know exactly how to screw us and they are very good at it.

gregbrew | 23/01/2020

What he said...^^^