Forums

Charging setup for 2 Teslas

Charging setup for 2 Teslas

Currently have a Model 3 that we've had for 18 months (but is in the shop for repairs or total) and will be receiving a Model Y in the next few months. We installed a Nema 14-50 outlet in the garage that has worked fine so far but want to make it easy to charge both cars overnight. What is the recommended setup for this? I doubt if I can run another Nema 14-50 connector. Is there some way to 'share' one connection to the breaker box? What do others do?

lilbean | 05/02/2020

I just charge each as needed. They don't need to charge at the same time. When one is done, I just plug in the other if needed.

Joshan | 05/02/2020

Tesla HPWC you can run two of them off the same circuit.

hokiegir1 | 05/02/2020

+1 @Joshan. The HPWC can be configured to loadshare the current circuit.

neylus | 05/02/2020

Always thought it would be nice if Tesla would allow the charge port to optionally installed on either driver or passenger side. This would be fantastic for those who own two or more Tesla's.

TexasBob | 05/02/2020

FWIW, I would rewire and split the 14-50 circuit into two NEMA 6-20 outlets so you both have your own charger. These will get you 15 miles per hour of charge or 180 miles on a typical overnight. If you have a spare 10 amps then do a 10-30 or 14-30 which will get you 22 mph.

We have 2 model 3s and 2 14-50 connectors, but having lived with them for nearly two years, I think it is total overkill. It is rare that we find ourselves actually needing to recharge at faster than 15 mph except when we are on a road trip and the superchargers are always an option even around town if we need to exceed 280 miles in a day.

I used to tell people who asked to put in 14-50s. Now I just tell them that the 6-20 will be fine and save some money.

useful link: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

crmedved | 05/02/2020

Multiple HPWC would be the best solution, as they communicate to make sure they don't exceed the max amperage for the circuit.

If the wiring supports it (<--- very important), you could put a 60A breaker in place of the 50, put a little breaker box ("main lug") at the other end with two 30A breakers and run them to 30 amp plugs. Of course, then when charging only one vehicle you'd still only get 24A instead of the 32A from your current setup. Of course, you'd need to verify with an electrician or inspector that it meets code... I think it does, but I'm not an electrician :) See this for charge rates: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Or, you can just alternate charge days.

So. Depends on your needs and how much you're willing to spend.

crmedved | 05/02/2020

@TexasBob You know, I'm actually in the process of wiring my garage... I already bought the wire for a single 14-50... but it might not be a bad idea to throw in a 6-20 on each side to help future proof it a bit. Good tip!

JAD | 05/02/2020

I have a 14-50 that plugs into the car driven more, and a 110 for the other car. The 110 adds 40-50 miles overnight. Never would both cars need a full charge overnight.

kevin_rf | 05/02/2020

Code question, are you allowed to throw two 6-20's off a single 50a breaker. Asking for a friend, his name is Smokey, and he's a bear.

I would think, the up to code way to do this is to run the 50a feed into a subpanel with two 20a breakers and then run the two outlets. But I'm not an electrician, so I'll leave this to the internet experts.

btw. I remember the manual also had some very specific instructions on how to daisy chain two HWPC's. Something about requiring separate runs of the correctly sized wire.

mazers | 05/02/2020

@JAD, thanks I'll probably go that route at least for the time being. Until I either get tired of it, or it doesn't fork any more, or the HWPCs start talking to each other. I discovered today that it is on a 50 amp breaker.

rob | 05/02/2020

I had my Tesla Wall Connector installed on the left wall of the garage. It will reach either bay of the garage. I planned on charging the cars on alternate nights. Now I just need to convince my wife to replace her car w/ a Tesla.

rxlawdude | 05/02/2020

The new generation HPWCs' ability to share the same circuit like the Gen2 version is no longer. The documentation clearly states that each HPWC needs its own dedicated circuit, and that the HPWCs communicate via WiFi.

This seems odd to me, as each of those HPWCs would be limited to the amperage of their respective circuits, making the need to "share" moot. The way it's described in the Gen3 HPWC manual:

• Wall Connectors are allocated to individual branch CIRCUITS (each up to 60 amps) (emphasis added)
• Total power is allocated to the group of linked Wall Connectors [the "group" being the aggregation of separate circuits for each]

I'm guessing this has to do with NEMA code forbidding more than one EVSE on a single circuit (like the 2nd gen HPWCs did).

WW_spb | 05/02/2020

Do you charge your 3 every day? If not then you don't need to do anything

jimglas | 05/02/2020

I have 2 wall chargers on different circuits
Turned out to be the cheapest when I put in the second

TranzNDance | 05/02/2020

We have one HPWC and have not had to charge both cars at the same time. The cord is long enough to reach either car in either parking spot.

ken.lunde | 05/02/2020

Two Model 3s, one L2 charging port in the garage, zero problems. We have yet to encounter a time when both would need to be charged at once. I am now charging my Model 3 at work for free.

82bert | 05/02/2020

Agree with lilbean. Same situation for us, and it has worked very well.

Atoms | 05/02/2020

Order two of the new wall chargers. You can put them both on the same circuit. Hardwire then in rather than using the socket. The new wall charger uses Wi-Fi to connect the two to negotiate charging.

Haggy | 06/02/2020

When I had one Tesla, I plugged in every night. I have an HPWC that I still haven't installed. I simply plug in whichever car has less range that night, and have never come close to having it low enough that it was an issue, but on Saturday or Sunday mornings, I can swap the cable from one car to another since it's weekend rates.

Two HPWCs that load share would be ideal. But putting it off until you get around to it, and switching off in the interim might show you that you don't need anything more. Or it might be such a pain that you call an electrician.

For me, the trick is to back in the car on the left and go in forward with the car on the right so they always have the connector on the side where the cable is.

joe | 06/02/2020

We have two M3s and one 14-50 outlet. One car drives 30k miles annually, the other 10k. Absolutely no problem being able to charge both, at different times. We are around some during the day though - might be less convenient if we were both gone all day.

taronwalton1 | 06/02/2020

Two wall chargers on the same circuit both charging at night is very nice; don't have to get up and move the cable.

mazers | 07/02/2020

Does anyone have any experience or thought of the Clipper Creek dual 14-50 chargers? Seems expensive at $1370, but it does let two cars share charging on a NEMA 14-50 plug.

Patronus | 07/02/2020

Owning two EVs (Model 3 & Bolt EV), the number of times both cars require charging at the same time is zero. If they both require to be charged for the morning commute, plug in one car when arriving home for the evening, then switch to charge the other car before going to bed. Both are at the set max the next morning. Easy.

bjrosen | 07/02/2020

I have two EVSEs because the Volt and the Tesla use different connectors. Having to put on and take off the J1772 adapter all of the time was a pain in the ass and I couldn't just leave it on because then the J1772 plug won't fit in it's holster. It was well worth it to me to add a Tesla Wall Connector for the convenience of not having to use the adapter. It's true that I never need to charge both cars at the same time and the added charging speed of the Tesla EVSE (48A vs 32A) isn't really necessary because the car charges over night but it's nice to have. If I had two Tesla's then one Tesla Wall Connector would do the job, however the convenience of having one next to each car's parking spot would still justify the cost. Buying and installing an EVSE is about the same cost as the paint on a Tesla so I view it as a car option.