Forums

SR+ Batteyr degradation for 4 month car

SR+ Batteyr degradation for 4 month car

I got a 2019 M3 SR+ taking delivery in October 2019 with rated range of 240 miles.

However I never saw it getting charges to 240 miles. As per today aat 80% SOC, the car displays range of 176 miles, at 90% SOC the range is 198 miles and at 100% SOC it shows range of 209 miles.

I have driven about 5200 miles and my lifetime energy usage is 186 wh/mile.

Is it just me seeing such a level of battery degradation?

Would like to learn about health of battery from fellow M3ers.

Thank You! in advance for your replys!

FISHEV | 06/02/2020

If you never saw the 240 miles in your Rated Range (the number that toggles with per cent on the main screen) from day one that it's not battery degradation. Does the sticker say 240 mile range or 220 mile range?

On the Energy/Consumption graph there's a line labeled "Rated", what Wh/mi is that line on? That should also tell you the rated range for you car based on your battery size.

Cold weather also reduces the range by up to 25% as temps drop below 50F.

aby.shah | 06/02/2020

@FISHEV Thank You! for the prompt reply. I never got a sticker from Tesla.

They told me the rated range is 240 miles. From the EPA websites it is showing the efficiency of 25kWH/100 miles. Thus when I compare it should be ~250 wh/mile.

For temperatures I am in Northern California. Day time temperatures are around ~60 degrees F. And the car is garaged and plugged in when not driving.

Thank You!

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 06/02/2020

Where do you live? In many places it’s cold between October and February, which negatively affects range.

You can’t use the projected range display to accurately understand degradation; trying to correlate the two will merely cause unnecessary concern.

Sorry, I missed the third post.

stingray.don | 06/02/2020

The battery meter range is just an estimate that is influenced by external factors like temperature. It is not an indicator of battery health.

https://www.tesla.com/support/range

FISHEV | 06/02/2020

"They told me the rated range is 240 miles."

If you look on the Energy/Consumption graph. The up arrow in a square on the lower menu and then choose "Energy" you will see a graph that toggles from Energy/Consumption and Energy/Trip. On the Energy/Consumption you will see a line labeled "Rated". What is the Wh/mi reading for that line? You can figure out your Rated Range from that number if you know your battery size.

New, even in the cold it should show 240 miles (if it is rated for 240 miles) of Rated Range at 100% charge when you toggle per cent of charge and range via the controls.

Your car definitely has a sticker, has to by law and Tesla owes you one by law. Mine's in the glove box, that's where most new car dealers put it. Check there, if not there go to Service Center where you got the car and have them provide it. They should have PDF of it if they don't have it as they have to keep record also.

-TheJohn- | 06/02/2020

The main bit of advice you should take away from this forum is that Fishev is a troll who gives deliberately bad advice.
You should ignore every single thing they say.

Atoms | 06/02/2020

The rated range is something rarely seen in the wild. For some reason EPA was overly optimistic with their measurement methodology. That has nothing to do with battery degradation. Try to keep the battery centered at 50% as much as possible and avoid the extremes and your battery will last it’s longest.

FISHEV | 06/02/2020

"The rated range is something rarely seen in the wild."

Which is crazy situation with owner after owner logging on and Tesla not providing the sticker and the car not showing the purchased Rated Range found on the sticker.

100% charge, the cars stickred Rated Range should show up toggling from per cent charge to Rated Range.

The EPA rated range for any vehicle can be looked up here

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/

FISHEV | 06/02/2020

"The EPA rated range for any vehicle can be looked up here"

That doesn't help in these cases where the owner is not sure if he has 220 mile car or a 250 mile car, only the sticker for his car will tell him that, it's why it is legally required to have a sticker and for car mfg to provide it to owner.

andy.connor.e | 06/02/2020

If you didnt get the rated efficiency, it must be the manufacturers fault.

Said no car manufacturer ever.

220 miles would be the SR and the OP has the SR+. The 2019 model year was 240 miles and the 2020 model year was 250 miles.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42278&id=41416

“ That doesn't help in these cases where the owner is not sure if he has 220 mile car or a 250 mile car,”

It’s the same car. Doesn’t matter.

bubbaba | 06/02/2020

would they have somehow not unlocked the battery for the SR+ and kept it at SR range?

Smalm | 06/02/2020

@OP your 100% SOC looks low, are you sure it was really at 100%? The other SOC’s extrapolate to 220. I’m at about the same 221 after 7 months 9K miles. Impressive lifetime wh/mi you have.

The rated wh/mi constant for the 240mile range SR+ is 220wh/mi. To say that the estimate does not reflect battery health, while maybe a true statement, it will most certainly reflect whatever degradation you have experienced. But there can be other factors, such as cold weather (likely not an issue for you), charging habits, or whatever anomalies are in the BMS when estimating available battery capacity.

It is a fact that batteries degrade, my 1 year old iPhone has lost 6%. Most will happen during the first year and taper off. So all and all I think you’re good. At least with that wh/mi you are beating the estimated range ;)

stingray.don | 07/02/2020

Smalm,

I agree. Battery degradation would be one of the factors for the battery meter estimate to be under the rated range. However, degradation cannot be divorced from calibration issues and temperature. It’s best to view it as a rough estimate that will vary over time and not read too much into it. If there is a problem with the battery, the car will provide an alert.