Forums

model 3 SR+ seems to get down graded to Standard

model 3 SR+ seems to get down graded to Standard

I charged my model 3 SR+ with 240 miles of range to 80, 90, and 100 percent recently and the miles are exactly that of those for a Standard range with 220 miles.
I know that when owner of Standard range first get their cars, they hand 240 miles. Tesla then started to down grade them to 220. I wonder if Tesla might have mistakenly down graded my SR+ to a standard. I got the car May-2019 and did not had this problem before. I saw this problem start happening at round 3K miles and had this issue for a few months now. Took it several time to the Service Center and had them take a look over nights. They told me everything is okay and no issue with the battery. This seems to be the standard answer they give to everyone. Super frustrated them! I also tried driving to 10% and charging to 100% two times to recalibrate the battery but that seem like a myth as well and does not work for me.

Any SR+ owner experienced this down grade of range from 240 to 220?

stingray.don | 15/02/2020

The battery meter range is just an estimate. It is affected by external factors such as temperature. It is not an indicator of battery health. Charge to 100% and duplicate the rated wh/mi until depletion and you should see very close to the rated range regardless of what the battery meter says.

https://www.tesla.com/support/range

vmulla | 15/02/2020

A friend who has an MR says he's now in the SR+ range and not happy with it. BTW he knows all the points of view on the forum - it's not like he's ill-informed.

vmulla | 15/02/2020

A friend who has an MR says he's now in the SR+ range and not happy with it. BTW he knows all the points of view on the forum - it's not like he's ill-informed.

riderblue | 15/02/2020

We know that the Model S had a history of catching fire while park. There were a couple of incidents in the news. Later I read the to be on the safe side, Telsa reduced the range to cars from catching fire. I thought that was only on the Model S, but it looks like it might be on the model 3 as well. This drop of range is not acceptable as I pay extra for the 20 miles. My cars has less then 4K miles. Why do not more Telsa people complaint about this? Are they all drinking the same coolaid that the range on display is just and estimate don't freak out about it. Its base one many variables. etc. Sounds like BS to me.

-TheJohn- | 15/02/2020

What?!
Sounds like BS to me because almost none of those things you're saying is true.

riderblue | 15/02/2020

I read several cases of folks in the forum having the same issue as I do. They too seems to have they lock switched from SR+ to SR which reduce their range by EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY 10%. So all the talks about driving habits, temperature, etc does not make sense to me as the drop is EXACTLY, again EXACTLY, 10%. Owner who has faced this issue please chime in.

stingray.don | 16/02/2020

riderblue,

You are misinformed. Measuring battery capacity and SOC cannot be done with a high degree of precision on the fly. Thus the battery meter range is really just a rough estimate. It is well known that temperature affects battery capacity, just do your own research rather than just calling BS. Ironically, gasoline density is affected by temperature as well, and an ICE car's gas tank holds less energy in the summer, but no one freaks out about it. The battery meter range is just a rough estimate and it will go up and down. If you really want to compare your car to its rated range, then charge to 100% and drive the car down to as close to 0% as you are comfortable. Then extrapolate the remaining charge and difference in wh/mi to determine a more precise comparison between your car and the rated range. If you aren't will to do that, then you must not be be too concerned.

WW_spb | 16/02/2020

Class action suit secured lol

bcmusik | 16/02/2020

Riderblue my model 3 Sr+ has shown the same changes that you describe. Started around Dec. Bringing this up here on the user forum will get the same answers from the same fellow owners. The info they provide is accurate but for some reason everyone seems to focus on talking about either some form of battery degradation or trying to explain how the car measures expected range. All well intentioned and mostly accurate. But focus on why overnight after a firmware update you charge your car to 80% and instead of seeing 192 you see 176. Something changed starting with the firmware update and no one here knows what. We can only make sure Tesla support and service know of the issue and provide screen shots if needed or any proof available). when you show them they have no answer so we need them to escalate it so there’s either a fix or a real explanation. It’s not about lawsuits it’s about a software fix.

FISHEV | 16/02/2020

"But focus on why overnight after a firmware update you charge your car to 80% and instead of seeing 192 you see 176. Something changed starting with the firmware update and no one here knows what. "

Only real solution would be make a Service Appointment. Tesla will likely try and cancel so you will have to be pushy to the point of driving to Service Center and walking in to make appointment.

riderblue | 18/02/2020

Just got a call from Tesla Service Center today. They told me they checked everything and verified that my configuration is a SR+ and not just a standard. I argued with him regarding why my SR+ is consistently seeing 220 and he just quoted the same generic answer to me that it depends on driving behaviors, charging habit, temperature, etc. But it sure feel bad with only 4K miles, my car is now a SR and not a SR+. He refused to do anything for me like push the configuration again. Have to live with it!

Teslanene | 18/02/2020

@riverblue just had mobile tech replace my fog lights and I also asked him about my mid range battery now down too 230. He gave me the same answer depends on driving behavior, charging habit and temperature but overall battery should be healthy.

stingray.don | 18/02/2020

riderblue,

If you are this concerned about what the battery meter says, then measure the battery capacity as I outlined previously. The battery meter range estimate does not tell you the usable capacity of the battery. You are looking at the wrong metric.

TeslaTap.com | 18/02/2020

There is so much misinformation about the indicated range, I wrote this article to explain how it works and why it can be inaccurate. I also cover battery degradation: https://teslatap.com/articles/range-university/

Nothing I read above is anything unusual. Batteries have a bit more degradation in the first year and then quickly levels off to a small amount every year after.

wiscy67 | 18/02/2020

I'm in the same boat as an SR+ owner whose estimated range went down suddenly last Fall. I also seem to remember it was right after installing a software update. I notified Tesla service through the app to see if they could check on it and also see if I was inadvertently downgraded to an SR. They reported back that I wasn't and that the lower estimated range I'm seeing is due to environmental changes and energy being used to warm the battery even when not setting battery preconditioning or scheduled departure.

At any rate I'm waiting for things to warm up and hopefully resume to the estimated range I had previously seen such as 192 @ 80% and 216 @ 90%. My wh/mile continues to be low (lifetime 212 after 12k miles). I recently did a longer than normal drive and so charged to 100% which came out to 220 miles. After having driven 185 miles with ambient T in the 40's and 50's I still had 50 miles estimated on the battery indicator.

In summary, I did notice the difference you are talking about (240 to 220 for estimated range) but I'm not too worried about it. I do the opposite of most people. Instead of changing the display from miles to %, I set my charge amount using the Tesla app (iPhone displays the miles to charge to when you drag the slider) to the miles I want after each charge instead of using % charge.

stingray.don | 18/02/2020

After having driven 185 miles with ambient T in the 40's and 50's I still had 50 miles estimated on the battery indicator.

I would be curious as to your wh/mi for the trip. If you were getting the rated efficiency, then you are very close the rates range despite what the battery guess-o-meter says

wiscy67 | 18/02/2020

My efficiency ended up being my lifetime average of 212 wh/mi. Yes it looks like I can achieve rated range on a single charge even though the estimated range has changed.

riderblue | 20/02/2020

Found this video. That was my original thought as well. I am okay if Tesla drop the range to prevent fire but should communicate this to owners!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspzwa4-pg0

ceszh | 20/02/2020

I have the same problem with mine I took delivery this year and charge my SR+ to 90% showed I had 221 miles and then after when I had like 30%, the odometer calculated 115 miles since the last charge so I don't think 30 is going to be 100 miles. I don't know if anyone can help me or give me an opinion.

stingray.don | 21/02/2020

ceszh,

That doesn’t provide the information you need to determine range. Short trips and idle time will use more energy. Range is determined by a single trip without idle time.

TeslaTap.com | 21/02/2020

The range is EPA, which uses 70F, flat, continuous driving at 65 mph, with base tires and the wheel inserts. Change any of those items and you'll get less range. Not sure how Tesla can make it clearer. Not much different than ICE cars and EPA MPG. Your MPG goes down with faster speeds, hills, A/C, etc.

Smalm | 21/02/2020

@ceszh the estimated (battery range) is based on a constant of 220wh/mi. In my experience I need to achieve 208wh/mi to achieve estimated range. As others point out you can only base this in a single uninterrupted drive, as sitting idle, sentry, etc. and multiple stops will cause additional drain. In other words you can’t charge up on Monday and compare what is left on Thursday. Bottom line for a single drive if your wh/mi is significantly higher than 208/220 wh/mi you won’t see that range. During cold best thing you can do is pre-heat the cabin while car is plugged in, then turn off heater and just use heated seats.

@wiscy - interesting you were able to achieve 15 more miles (starting - distance compared with remaining). I’ve never gotten to even equal let alone beat unless I achieve 208wh/mi or under.

Hasn’t been an issue for me as I understand how my vehicle behaves and have never had any range anxiety for my driving patterns.

lbowroom | 21/02/2020

"Tesla will likely..."

No reason to read any words past the work "likely" with fish at the keyboard.

calvin940 | 21/02/2020

Let me fix that:

No reason to read any words with fish at the keyboard.

nickegan | 07/03/2020

Hi Guys,
I’ve just slow charged my SR+ which was delivered only 14 days ago. It’s the first time I’ve charged to 100%. The range says 234 miles. It looks like there’s about 5% left empty on the screen battery scale, and the app battery scale. The car has covered 700 miles.
It this right? I’m confident the range I advertised at 254miles. The temperature outside is 10 degrees C but the garage is 16 degrees C. I think a 20 mile drop in 2 weeks is excessive. I’ve charged 50% to 80% all other times. (Super charged to 80% twice)

stingray.don | 07/03/2020

nickegan,

If there is 5% empty at the top of the battery meter scale, then you have charged to 95%.

Also, the battery meter range is just an estimate that will be influenced by external factors. It is not an indicator of battery health.

kevin_rf | 07/03/2020

234 divided by .95 is 246 and you have a very large error bar using eyeball mark 1.0 on reading that 5%.

Depending on temperature, the amount of charge can vary a little. This is very noticeable when you charge and then let the car sit a few hours. The charge jumps around a few percent. For instance I charged to 80% last night, glanced this morning and the car is sitting at about 82%. The car charged to 80% and then the battery cooled.

courson01 | 12/03/2020

I'm having the same issues with my SR+ build date in June of 19. I've tried multiple variations of 100%-<10% SOC and charging back up. Multiple Tesla chat sessions give the same response of environmental factors, yada, yada, yada. Last discharge back to 100% brought me up to 221 miles, with life time wh/m around 250.I think its a software issue, as I have also asked for them to resend the SR+ configuration to the car.

stingray.don | 12/03/2020

courson01,

The battery meter range is just not very precise and is subject to environmental factors, miscallibration, and extrapolation errors. There is no way to isolate battery degradation from the other factors that influence that number. It is likely that could match the EPA constant wh/mi and get very close to your rates range of 240 miles. If your are not willing to accept Tesla’s statement that your battery is fine, then just take the time to actually measure your usable battery capacity.

xanadufl | 22/03/2020

My Model 3 Standard Plus immediately went from a charge limit of 239 at 100% to a charge limit of 208 at100% the moment of downgrade to Standard five months ago. !

Please keep in mind this is a charge limit at 100% AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RANGE BASED UPON MY DRIVING!

My Model 3 was delivered on March 27, 2019. As I indicated it was delivered as a Standard Plus and subsequently downgraded to a Standard.

My driving habits are very conservative. My odometer reads 6398 today. My Wh/mi for the last 4800 miles is 213.
(For the last 6398 miles my average Wh/mi is 218)

Therefore, given my conservative driving and the immediate drop in my CHARGE LIMITATION FROM 239 STD+ to 208 Std indicates there is either a software glitch in the downgrade OR there is a defect in the battery or charging system.

Tesla refuses to provide any explanation for the immediate drop in charging capability. I never was able to charge to 220.

xanadufl | 22/03/2020

Ps. Tesla keeps trying to cancel my appointment telling me
the battery is fine and there is no need for an appointment!
Something is wrong with how Tesla is giving all of us this response.

xanadufl | 22/03/2020

Ps. Tesla keeps trying to cancel my appointment telling me
the battery is fine and there is no need for an appointment!
Something is wrong with how Tesla is giving all of us this response.

stingray.don | 23/03/2020

xanadufl,

Have you measured your battery capacity?

Orthopod | 23/03/2020

Xanadufl

I went from 379 km
To 329 km after an update

Now I’m at 322km 2 months later

They say the battery high voltage test is fine

I can live with it

denis | 17/04/2020

I have the same issue with my SR+. Has anyone checked the real mileage that your vehicle can drive from full charge to empty(or almost empty)? I did and the problem is ignored by the tesla service team. In the city, I can only get 150 real miles to drive. This is with 60F temperature outside and most of the city driving. when 100% charged it shows only 217 miles ( they said this is because of my driving behavior) I have 2019 SR+ with 2019 June delivery. I never had a display show more than 230 since last August. I can't get this vehicle to long trip anywhere now because it losing lots of power and cant calculate my rage at the end correctly. End up twice had to turn around or charge somewhere else because I can't get to a supercharger ( even though at the beginning of the trip it shows that I will have 15%-20% when I get there)

stingray.don | 17/04/2020

denis,

Did you calculate your total usable battery capacity when you charged to100% and discharged to depletion?

FISHEV | 17/04/2020

@denis "
I can only get 150 real miles to drive. This is with 60F temperature outside and most of the city driving. when 100% charged it shows only 217 miles ( they said this is because of my driving behavior)"

Look at your Projected Miles in the Energy/Consumption graph which will show your Wh/mi consumption in instantaneous and average Wh/mi for 5, 15 and 30 mile increments.

This is your actual energy efficiency and range based conditions and your driving. Your Rated Wh/mi is on that graph as a gray line. This should match our car's Rated Range, the EPA range on your car's sticker.

You can play around with your driving and see where the energy is going and how it matches to the Rated Range.

If you get StatsApp for Tesla, you can both numbers at once Rated Range and Esimated Range plus it provides some graphic info on usage plus battery degradation

https://imgur.com/e6Ar2Zz

TeslaFI.com also offers this and it is web based and you view it on your home computer.

WW_spb | 17/04/2020

@FishEV -1

FISHED | 17/04/2020

I hate it when FISHE makes sense but not as much as I hate these threads. Tesla needs to remove the miles option from the "fuel" tank. Lock it as % and then if the driver wants range estimates they can go to the energy screen.

FISHEV | 17/04/2020

KAM6 | April 17, 202 Tesla needs to remove the miles option from the "fuel" tank. "

Better if they removed the useless Per Cent of Charge which is only relevant as to your actual and rated ranges.

Tronguy | 17/04/2020

Public Service Announcement: There be trolls in this neighborhood, primarily FISHEV and, likely FACTDOC. Their modus operandi is to respond to posts in a seemingly responsible manner; then, once they've engendered a bit of trust, especially from newbies, they head straight into the weeds.
The bunch of them recently managed to ban a long-time poster; directly after that, for roughly a week, they worked at seeming sweetness and light.
They're now back to their old tricks. Therefore:

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.

FISHEV, FACTDOC: -1

Orthopod | 18/04/2020

On January 4, I installed a software update and thenrange if my SR+ of 379km became the range of a SR 329km. Which is what I ordered and needed.

After using my Model 3 during winter, I have noticed my estimated range was showing 322km at 100% around beginning of March.

I placed a service call via Tesla App to verify if everything was fine and the technician did highvoltage testing if the battery and said everything was normal and that my car had higher battery capacity then the fleet average.

If you don’t like reading facts Étron then by my guest and go join your old friend out of these forums

WW_spb | 18/04/2020

-1 FactDoc

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 18/04/2020

Sock puppets as far as the eye can see.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 18/04/2020

riderblue | February 15, 2020
“I charged my model 3 SR+ with 240 miles of range to 80, 90, and 100 percent recently and the miles are exactly that of those for a Standard range with 220 miles.”

riderblue | February 15, 2020
“They too seems to have they lock switched from SR+ to SR which reduce their range by EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY 10%. So all the talks about driving habits, temperature, etc does not make sense to me as the drop is EXACTLY, again EXACTLY, 10%.”

——————-

On the off chance you aren’t fish, I’ll ask a question: If tesla is using a software push to reduce by 10% the estimated range number displayed on SR+ screens, why has yours changed by EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY, no kidding EXACTLY, again EXACTLY, 8 and 1/3 percent?

wiscy67 | 18/04/2020

@denis what is your driving efficiency (wh/mi) for the trip? What is your lifetime efficiency? Mine is 211 wh/mi. If you want greater range then drive more efficiently. This is true of any car - EV or ICE.

Thunderrider | 25/05/2020

Hey, was anyone able to get this issue resolved so far?

stingray.don | 26/05/2020

Thunderrider,

Which issue are you referring to?

Battery degradation? No, battery degradation is normal and to be expected.

Miscalibration of the battery meter range estimate? Yes, you can try deep cycling the battery a few times.