Forums

Sentry clips?

Sentry clips?

How often do you remove your storage device from the car and offload it somewhere, and what do you do with the clips? I've got a 1TB SSD so I doubt that I should need to do it often, but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell how full it is to know when you should.

Also, do you save the footage to go through later or just delete everything but the sentry clips and go through those? I'm trying to figure out some sort of workflow to deal with the inevitable overload of apocalypse footage. And with 4 small clips for the same time period, I can imagine the number of MP4 files will get out of control quickly.

Joshan | 18/03/2020

when it fills up I do a quick walk around my car and if I see no damage I trash them all (never seen damage yet). If I saw any unexplained dents or scratches I would scour the videos before deleting. That is the extent of my sentry management

Joshan | 18/03/2020

I had one nasty door ding I had to get PDR'd out. This was 2 weeks before Sentry released :(

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 18/03/2020

The only time I’d looked at one is to see if it worked.

EVRider | 18/03/2020

I typically don't remove the dashcam drive to clean it up, now that Sentry Mode clips will be overwritten if you run out of space (as long as there are 5+GB of Sentry clips). With a large enough drive, you shouldn't run out of space unless you frequently save clips either using the save function of the dashcam icon or the horn.

SteveWin1 | 18/03/2020

Like EVRider, I also just leave it alone unless I see damage on my car. It automatically erases old footage to make room for new footage, so just pay attention to your car so you can get the footage if you notice a problem. I used to have a program run through the footage to show me all the clips that had people in them so I could make sure nobody was messing with my car and to enjoy watching all the people walking around the car to check it out (happened more when these cars were more rare). Haven't done that since they made it overwrite old footage. So sweet that Tesla keeps making this stuff better. Still crazy that we can't view the sentry events when we get into the car and get those notifications.

sfurg73 | 18/03/2020

The drive I use is 1TB. I doubt I will ever have to worry about space. I very rarely remove it so I’m sure the space will last me a long time.

rlsurgent | 20/03/2020

I have a quick sentry question. I got dinged by a shopping cart today.....it hit hard right over the front drivers wheel. I checked sentry but only had views from front rear and two rear facing side cameras.... but nothing from pillar cameras facing forward, is this normal? If not why wouldn't my pillar cameras be filming?

Rick

AstroSteve | 20/03/2020

Sentry isn't perfect, but it does get better over time. There are blind spots. Sorry that your event seems to involve it.

spareribs823 | 22/03/2020

New here. May I add a question to this thread regarding Sentry? If the software automatically erases old footage to make room for new footage, why have 1T of storage? I'm going to buy a flash drive and get Sentry set up, but I have two questions: 1) What is a reasonable amount of storage given the above? Would 50 MBs work? And 2) How do I know when I buy it, that it is FAT 32 or whatever that compliant feature is? I am not a tech person so please respond in layman's language. Thanks. Ribs

zerogravitydrgn | 22/03/2020

Almost never. Sometimes I plug it in to see if it is still functioning correctly. Don’t look at the footage unless something happens.

rehutton777 | 22/03/2020

Spareribs: I have a 128 GB storage drive, and that is plenty big. After getting my car "keyed" shortly after I got it while Sentry was not activated, I am now almost obsessive about turning on Sentry when parked in public. Since I am obsessive, I review the sentry video after every few "sentry alerts" even if there was no obvious visible damage to the car. I you wait too long, you will have hundreds of "sentry event alert" video. If you have no intention of viewing video unless there is damage to the car, that is fine, but a 1.0 TB drive is overkill now that the sentry video overwrites when the drive is full (but that's a LOT of sentry event videos).

rehutton777 | 22/03/2020

Should add - - I would buy at least a 32 GB drive, since that size (or smaller) can be formatted to FAT32 directly by Windows. I don't think a 50 MB drive is even remotely large enough - - that may not even be enough to record the video from all 4 cameras for one or two sentry events.

EVRider | 23/03/2020

@spareribs823: I assume you meant 50GB, not 50MB. 64GB is probably okay, but it depends on how often you save dashcam footage using the dashcam icon or by honking the horn (if you have that option enabled). Footage that you save is never overwritten, so eventually you’ll fill up the drive. 128GB is better and more than enough.

Although Windows can’t directly format >32GB drives as FAT32, there are third-party utilities that can. I’ve also read that exFAT support is coming, but I don’t know if it’s available yet.

You can learn everything you need to know about Tesla dashcam drives here: https://cammem.com

kaosusan1 | 23/03/2020

Just would like to share my app here, can save you time and space. www.sentry-ai.com uses AI to filter humans in Sentry clips.

NorthValley | 23/03/2020

EVRider...if you have a Mac you can format any size drive using FAT32. Windows only lets me use exFAT and that doesn't work on SentryView. I formatted on Mac to FAT32 and have 238GB of a 256GB pendrive available.

EVRider | 23/03/2020

@NorthValley: You can format >32GB drives as FAT32 from a Windows command prompt but it's very slow. There are free third-party GUI formatting utilities for Windows that you can use instead. The web site I referenced above (from TeslaTap) covers those details.

I use the macOS Disk Utility to format my USB drives, which as you mentioned supports FAT32 for any size drive.