Forums

March 2020 X A/C not working

March 2020 X A/C not working

Any known issues with A/C suddenly not working? I tried resetting multiple times and various methods to no avail. Per Tesla Road Surface will come in a little over a week so I would think it is an easy fix. Any other thoughts?
Thx

TeslaTap.com | 26/06/2020

Hard to say. A/C failures are rare and there are quite a few components that make up the A/C. Might be something simple, but with a fairly new car, I'd suspect a slow coolant leak. These can be tricky to find, but I'm sure they can solve it.

hilliard528 | 26/06/2020

@Teslatap thanks they just switched it to next week in a SC, versus road crew. Perhaps they downloaded something and saw the issue, although no warnings appeared.

triloros | 27/06/2020

Mine wasn’t working either (UK, June 2020) but seems to have corrected itself now

hilliard528 | 27/06/2020

@TeslaTap - download recent software 2020.24.6.1 and this morning it is working. Will keep appointment at SC just in case it drops out again.

r.hauser | 30/06/2020

hilliard528 - I picked my new 2020 MX March 4th and the AC did not work. Two hours in the back seemed to restore it. It has now failed four times (including date I received the vehicle) and have an appointment in the Fremont SC tomorrow. Not sure what's going on. Anyone else experience multiple AC failures?

michaeldmaxey | 02/07/2020

Same. March Model X and AC is blowing hot air. Called support and the rep said a sensor in the AC unit isn’t working properly. We drove the car to Charleston on vacation, it’s 85-90f here. They want me to drive 4 hours to Charlotte or Jacksonville for a service appointment!

Tried hard reset (brake and double button) 4 times and also full “turn off” with 3 minute rests as the owners forums say, still nothing working. Please tell me a remote tech can switch this sensor...?

This car is brand new and the AC is already broken?

r.hauser | 02/07/2020

michaeldmaxey - I doubt it. My AC appointments have all been in the service center. You can open a service request as mobile but they will still log into your vehicle and determine whether a mobile tech can do the work. (portable fans are cheap!) :)

michaeldmaxey | 03/07/2020

Update here. I set everything to “low” and turned off “auto”. The rear system is blowing cooler air now, but the front and mid-console vents are hot still. I guess the systems are on different units? Also, I noticed an error “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault” . And it doesn’t disappear when I do hard resets (double scroll and brake pedal). Are others seeing this failure message too?

So, I’ll be miserable up front on the 4+ hour drive back to the nearest SC - wife and kids shouldn’t be too miserable in the back, but it’s far from reasonable temperature to deal with 90f+ temperatures outside. Don’t think I’ve ever had this severe of buyers remorse in my life...

TeslaTap.com | 03/07/2020

@michaeldmaxey - Never seen or heard of that error message. Depends on the version, but your specific X does have dual AC systems, so the rear is independent of the front AC. Perhaps run it on max, and turn off the front AC and it will not be too bad.

Unfortunately, in the first few hundred miles in a new car is when you're most likely to encounter a problem that didn't exist when it was made. True of any make and model.

tchunte | 04/07/2020

Ok...Purchased new Model X March 2020, A/C one day suddenly stopped working two updates ago. Tried doing all the typical reset options without success. Finally broke down and contacted Tesla Service via the app. Diagnosis.... evaporator temperature sensor??? Its a new car man! Because I live in the US Virgin Islands, there is no option for warranty service. I have to pay for a service person to fly down, pay hotel and whatever else to get this problem fixed. Oh, they can't come till the end of July....geeeez. It get it, if this happened years down the line, I would really expect to deal with such a crisis. The car is 4 months old!!! Buyers remorse...maybe. I had higher expectations for such an expensive car, especially with durability and workmanship. If this is the first 4 months, we are in for a serious ride.
Will keep you posted....

Triggerplz | 04/07/2020

So the service tech gets a free all expense paid vacation to the Virgin Island and gets paid for coming
WoW

TeslaTap.com | 04/07/2020

@tchunte - That's a bummer. Ok, I would not buy a car in a location that doesn't have any warranty service, but perhaps that's true of many makes on a small island? Does Audi, Aston Martin, BMW, etc all have service available on the island?

Since Tesla identified what the problem is, I'd try and buy the sensor and have a local HVAC mechanic install it. Not ideal, but should be a lot cheaper and faster.

A quick look at the parts catalog show two sensors, so perhaps Tesla can tell you which one.
Parts catalog: https://epc.tesla.com/
Enter an email address, and then go to https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/66332
which lists the HVAC parts for the X. There are two sensors listed that start with SNSR...

tchunte | 05/07/2020

Thanks for the info @TeslaTap! Trying to figure out how to purchase part and go from there. We will keep our appointment until more confident part will arrive. There are quite a few teslas throughout the USVI Territory as well as Puerto Rico, so not sure why the issue with warrantees, but upon purchase we were made aware, no big deal. Really worried that its only been four months and we are having this problem.

tchunte | 05/07/2020

Thanks for the info @TeslaTap! Trying to figure out how to purchase part and go from there. We will keep our appointment until more confident part will arrive. There are quite a few teslas throughout the USVI Territory as well as Puerto Rico, so not sure why the issue with warrantees, but upon purchase we were made aware, no big deal. Really worried that its only been four months and we are having this problem.

hoffenberg | 07/07/2020

My issue is the fan goes automatically to 1 after a 20 minute drive, still cold air, but a minimal amount. Any ideas?

TeslaTap.com | 07/07/2020

@hoffenberg - I'm guessing a bad temperature sensor? I haven't heard of that exact problem before.