Forums

How can I see if I'm reserved under the 200,000 mark? (Tax incentives)

How can I see if I'm reserved under the 200,000 mark? (Tax incentives)

Hello ,reserved this morning.Was wondering is there anyway to see if I reserved within the first 200,000 .to receive tax incentives

Mathew98 | 01/04/2016

It doesn't apply to just the M3. The federal credit applies to ALL Tesla vehicles sold in the US to date. If you're one of the first 75K to get an M3 delivered then you're probably in good shape. Otherwise, the credit gets phased out over the following few quarters.

However, there were 115K reservations at 8:30PM PST as of last night.

Theresa | 01/04/2016

Also it isn't when you get it. It is when you apply for it on your taxes.

tmaz | 01/04/2016

It's highly unlikely that any model 3 owners will get the credit; maybe the first few.

hsadler | 01/04/2016

You can't.

telero812 | 01/04/2016

Ray, it doesn't work like that. Who will be getting the tax credit (and how much) depends on a lot on Tesla's production and delivery schedule.

Theresa, it does matter when you get it, not when you file. You need to put the car into service (take delivery and title it) within the initial credit period or the phase-out period. But you won't claim the credit until you file your normal 1040 taxes.

Joon @US-CA | 01/04/2016

Or buy S or X first and you can get tax incentive for 2016.
In addition, you have priority for your 3 reservation. You may get on e more tax incentive for 2017.

David N | 01/04/2016

Remember as mentioned previously, only U.S. Sales are included in the 200k. With nearly half of all sales going overseas, let's wait and see.
It wouldn't surprise me if the government sees the success of the all electric model 3 as perhaps a key to extending the tax credit so the change to electric vehicles continues to grow. Only time will tell.

tmaz | 01/04/2016

also keep in mind that Tesla is saying it will start deliveries by the end of 2017, which in non tesla timeline speak, is more like the end of 2018 or even 2019. Think about how many more S and X models will have been sold by then and have cut into the 200k production limit for the tax credit.

OHMY | 01/04/2016

I bet most day1 reservers will get the tax credit because:
You don't need to have one of the first 200,000 cars. You only need to take delivery before the end of the quarter following the 200,000th delivery. So if Tesla delivers #200,000 on april 1 2018, then as long as you get yours on or before sept 30, 2018 you are good.
Now think of this from tesla's point of view: They control deliveries…. what if they slow deliveries in the quarter approaching 200,000, having delivered a couple hundred model 3's. Then, they work the bugs out, build a massive inventory, deliver # 200,000 on day one of a quarter and then dump all deliveries into the following 60 days. All those people will get the full 7500. It sort of games the system, but still.

Even if they don't game the system, tesla's production is growing exponentially-- legitimate exponential growth. So the quarter following the 200,000 delivery will have the most production (and hopefully deliveries) likely of any quarter previous, all of which will get tax break. The real bottleneck might end up being how many delivery centers they can have up and running.

Keoni5 | 01/04/2016

Here is the actual law:

"The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. After December 31, 2009, a vehicle that qualifies for a credit under § 30 does not qualify for the credit under § 30D."

If they do slow play it and wait to sell the 200,000th car right at the beginning of a quarter that would be fantastic, however my concern is if production of the Model X and S ramps up substantially

Octagondd | 01/04/2016

Guaranteed 30000 will be covered after the 200,000 mark based on the rate they expect the factory to be running and a full quarter after reaching 200,000. If, as others have suggested, that 200,000 is at the beginning of a quarter, then it could be as high as 60,000 delivered after the milestone since there would be 6 months of production before the credit is reduced. Then, there is 3 months with the credit cut in half, and another 3 months with the credit at 25%, so plenty of Model 3's will get some credit depending on production starting at the end of 2017 or early 2018. State credits will vary.

Also, if you are on the west coast, there is an advantage since that is where deliveries will occur first.

dd.micsol | 01/04/2016

Octa-it's by queue-there was a limit in the queue which blow up the server.
they will be delivered in accord of the queues-
West Coast will get 25k cars
Then the North region will get 25k
Then the south will get 25k
then the east will get 25k
and that will continue to rotate.

dsvick | 01/04/2016

Yes, it is by region, but there are several other factors involved as well: are you a previous owner, what options did you select, when did you reserve? All of those will factor into the question of when you will get you car. As far as I know there has been no mention of 25K per region, in fact there has been no mention of specific regions, except that they would begin deliveries in the West first.

We are well over a year from seeing anything delivered and there will be plenty of time for more details to be released, at this point it isn't worth getting too wrapped up in what ifs.

Michael_Bluth | 01/04/2016

for those who don't see a reservation number, i saw something when i tried to go to the my tesla page. it didnt load, but the link address was https://www.teslamotors.com/mytesla/profile?rn=RNXXXXXXXXX

could those be your RN?

telero812 | 01/04/2016

Octagon -- There's 6 months at 50%, then another 6 months at 25%.

Bighorn | 01/04/2016

Everything dd says is wrong or total BS or a lie. For what it's worth.

Haggy | 01/04/2016

Regardless of where things stand, total worldwide sales will probably be in the neighborhood of 400,000 sales before incentives start to go away. If we assume that the interest in the Model 3 by country is proportional to the current sales in those countries, then that might be a good target. But prices are far higher in other countries and there might have been much more latent demand. For all we know, the portion of international sales could be above 50%.

Octagondd | 01/04/2016

Thanks Telero812. I think I mis-read the graph I saw on the phase out. It is two quarters for each phase of the phase out.

Bighorn, I am guessing you are talking to dd.micsol right? My initials are dd, so at first I thought you were talking to me. But after looking at dd.micsol's comment it seems like you may be talking to him/her.

I don't know anything about how the queue works or how the optioned cars are rolled out versus the non-optioned ones. I guess that remains to be seen. Others have suggested that fully optioned cars are first and I think there is a company statement on that, but the question remains if that means nationwide starting with the west coast, or if all of the west coast is delivered first and then moving east. I am west coast, so I am curious, but either way, it is all a part of the speculation game for the next 2 years.

Bighorn | 01/04/2016

Sorry Octagon--I missed that potential ambiguity--my apologies!

dtesla | 01/04/2016

There will be many cancelations. My Model S reservation number was 65xx. But my VIN number is 31xx. My guess is you are safe if you get in the first 350K reservations to get one of the first 200K cars.

swingshiftworker | 01/04/2016

If you want to take advantage of the tax credit, buy a Bolt and drive it for 2-3 years until you receive delivery of the Model 3.

grant.reuter | 01/04/2016

A Bolt? Really? I have no desire to buy an econobox on wheels. I don't know why its so hard for the major manufacturers to make a electric car that is affordable and doesn't look like junk.

JAD | 01/04/2016

@dtesla, Model S and X sales count as well, not just Model 3 reservations/sales. About 50k S's have been sold in the US and about 40 K next year, means most of 2018 should be in the 200k as sales should be 60-80k in the US. 2019 is when it will be hit I think.

eye.surgeon | 01/04/2016

An econobox on wheels powered by electricity is exactly what most of the world wants and needs. Don't begrudge the Bolt for helping fulfill the mission of Tesla.

Jx @US-TX | 01/04/2016

dtesla, your lower VIN number may be due to your location and vehicle spec getting priority over others with a lower reservation number.