Forums

Dashboard = Fail (everything else is flawless)

Dashboard = Fail (everything else is flawless)

I can only hope that the dashboard shown is not the Final, or there is some secret that hasn't been revealed. Until I see the secret, no deposit.

dsvick | 02/04/2016

From comments made in some of the videos I've seen the dash is not going to change much, if at all. All of the info you'd normally see will be displayed on the center console.
Although I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there is a HUD option when it comes out.

cephellow | 02/04/2016

I love the dash

dkenta | 02/04/2016

change is always hard!

jibu_abraham | 02/04/2016

I would be plenty happy if they made their iPad/iPhone/Android apps display the speed, etc, and create a mount on the dashboard. Armed with bluetooth, it should be able to display everything I need for the price of an appropriate device.

mos6507 | 02/04/2016

I just don't trust what comes out of the mouths of Tesla reps in test drives as being the final word.

bendenajones | 02/04/2016

Yeah, I view it a safety issue. I'll have to take my eyes off the road to check the temp, time, speed, and battery level. On the Leaf, all of that info is within line-of-sight of me looking down the road.

Frankly, temp and speed are critical pieces of info. If you've ever driving in cold rainy conditions, knowing the temp is under 32 deg can save lives.

Hope they change this or provide some option to provide a solution.

Iowa92x | 02/04/2016

Will have HUD.

lph | 02/04/2016

@ Iowa92x:
Hope you are right, with a HUD it would be perfect. Otherwise not so much. I am okay with the main screen on a pod as they have it, but don't like looking sideways to look at the speedo. Had that on the first few cars I owned, like the original mini and Morris minor. They work okay, but are not as nice as a display directly in front.

NVHarmony | 02/04/2016

It kinda looks like a Tablet PC just "stuck" to the dash. I like the concept, but I would very much like to see the screen more integrated into the dash and not so "stuck on" like the prototype cars. The original MX showcar had a similar "stuck on" screen but ultimately launched with a MS-style integrated screen.

NKYTA | 02/04/2016

WIP

Red Sage ca us | 02/04/2016

This dashboard design may make it that much easier to get up to speed for Delivery to Right Hand Drive territories such as the United Kingdom, Japan, and Australia. Keep in mind the entire interior of the cars is likely only a placeholder at this point. Things are bound to change by Q4 2017.

geekdad.604 | 02/04/2016

What do you guys thing of the landscape format (M3) vs. portait (MS and MX)? Beta UI looks nice in the landscape format, better use of screen space but may be harder to use whilst driving.

There will be changes, even the 3 unveiled cars had differences between them.

MarlonBrown | 02/04/2016

I sincerely predicted the exterior and interior would look very similar to what has been presented in the Model 3. Now I will tell you something: I suspect that one of Elon's surprises on Part II reveal it will be something regarding a never seen before HUD, 3D or using virtual reality. Regarding the panel, honestly if it has quality materials it makes so much sense to be simplistic. There is no place here for a redundant dashboard in front of the driver my friend. The console tablet gives all the information you want and the 3D HUD will be way safer to the driver. I did read an article saying that in terms of safety, HUDs are the future of driving.

geekdad.604 | 02/04/2016

Good calls Marlon, sincerely.

I've had HUD's on previous cars... didn't like it being that it was distracting and all. Having said that, I hope Tesla offers them as options for those who want it.

Can you tell us something else? What features of HUDs (3D or not) make them the future of driving?

grega | 03/04/2016

The automatic driving hardware reads the current speed limit, so it's possible they could make some additional smarts that help drivers stick to the appropriate speed more intuitively.

For example most drivers accidentally increase their speed on clear roads (despite having a speedo) - so a system that assumes that holds your preferred speed relative to the speed limit makes sense, as long as when you put your foot down it reacts.

Or it could have a simple colour code on the top left of the screen to see at a glance.

deeageux | 03/04/2016

Instrument Cluster/HUD is a must.

Turning to the touchscreen to read the speed is just plaint stupid/massive FAIL.

Trying to get mainstream Camccord buyers to buy a Model 3 with the prototype interior is an exercise in futility.

123mox | 03/04/2016

The missing speedometer-dashbord is shurely unusual. But with the comming of autopilot2 and automatic interpretation of speedsigns, it might not be so important anymore. The 15" will be mainly for Navigation, Entertainement and Settings. The Speed will be done by Autopilot 2. So, no need to watch that all the time. Looks like the future to me...

TC56 | 03/04/2016

Gee, they are going to have to really improve Autopilot before it can be relied upon on all roads in all territories. The USA has nice wide roads in the main, Europe not so. Also the main thing about having speed an other critical info in front of the driver is that you don't have to search for it, you know exactly where it is. Another point that was mentioned, and I can't remember where, was the central position enabled the passenger to access the screen. That is going to cause trouble.

Haggy | 03/04/2016

If you look at a traditional dashboard, there were four things that were always there. A fifth was the tachometer, which wasn't always standard in cars with an automatic transmission, but would be meaningless in a Tesla.

Among the others, there's the speedometer. That's still needed. The engine temperature gauge is obviously no longer on the list. The battery meter (12V) has gone away and has been replaced with a light. Even the odometer reading has become one of a number of status messages that may or may not be displayed at any given time, and isn't essential to have at a glance, especially if you can display a trip computer.

So the speedometer is all that's left of the essential traditional dashboard display items. With an EV you have to add back in the main battery. Everything else on the Model S dashboard is nice to have, but the justification is that it's a much more expensive car. None of it absolutely has to be on the dashboard and typically won't be there on other cars. There's no justification for a second navigation display on a car in the Model 3 price range, and most of the graphics aren't essential and will be even less essential as autopilot gets more refined, especially if there's newer hardware. If the blind spot indicators are moved to the A pillars or side mirrors, that should work just fine.

With autopilot, there are a few other things that belong with the speedometer, such as the set speed and whether autopilot is on. But all that could be in the upper left hand corner of the screen, and when autopilot is on, you don't even need to look at your speed limit so often because the car controls it for you.

If they add an HUD that shows the speed, perhaps the battery charge level, and the autopilot status, I can't see what you'd be missing by not having a traditional dash. It won't be a traditional car.

damien666 | 03/04/2016

Tweet from Elon:
@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.

Supraman | 03/04/2016

There seems to be a general assumption that the solution to the minimalist dashboard is a HUD. Could an alternative be a screen somewhere on the steering wheel, similar to an F1 car? I'm not sure how this would integrate with the airbag but, if anybody can figure it out, Tesla can!

dd.micsol | 03/04/2016

ARRGGG the torture but the coolness that he has addressed our issue with the vitals for the driver. What would have been really funny is to have someone be hooked up to a blood pressure gauge during the test drive and watch it spike on throttle thrust. I've seen a lot on youtube from everyday drivers and the car make people laugh/smile/ and just happy. Very few cars do that in reality. Tesla does.

KP in NPT | 03/04/2016

Elon is on fire today on Twitter. Trying hard not to spill the beans on part 2 - but says "real steering controls and system going to feel like you are in a spaceship."

Also says "that isn't the real steering system"

I say HUD. Maybe it isn't even going to have a real steering wheel. ;)

mos6507 | 03/04/2016

Re: Elon's "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

Moral of the story is don't expect a Tesla sales rep to know for sure what elements in a prototype are final or not.

I really think people are treating these prototypes as too literal a representation of the final product. Some things will carry over and other things will not. Since Musk is a perfectionist, it's going to come down to the old adage of "no work of art is ever finished, only abandoned".

Red Sage ca us | 07/04/2016

Look closely, and you may be able to tell what Franz had in mind. Easy for me, as I'm an artist. Maybe a bit confusing for others:

Red Sage ca us | 07/04/2016

GAH! Foiled by Mollom, yet again!

kandrey89 | 08/04/2016

I like Model S dashboard, and don't like the out of line-of-sight Model 3 dashboard.
HUD might work, but if HUD has a variable visibility due to outside conditions, driver eyeglasses, driver head position (high/low, too left, too right) then it'll be a big problem.
I'm OK towards more autonomous driving, but if I need to monitor my speed and road conditions in extraordinary situations and I have to look out of line of sight to do so then it's not worth it. Bring back the instrumentation dashboard.

dd.micsol | 08/04/2016

Since Elon said it will look like a spaceship-this means hud. not worried at all about dash as is.
Steering wheel-that'll be fixed to our liking-I'm sure.

Akuma | 08/04/2016

People who are resistant to change in an industry are always the ones who regret it the most in the end. It will be functional. Every car until the end of time won't function or look the same as what you think a car should look like. That's the point of having different companies with different ideas making cars. Unfortunately for you, once the car is released and looking super sexy, you'll be wishing you had preordered.

Captain_Zap | 08/04/2016

HUD= Head's Up Display. (Display projected on windshield)
Some may not be familiar with the acronym yet.
Elon doesn't like acronyms.