Forums

Warranty

Warranty

What is typical warranty with Tesla, wondering how long the major and minor systems and parts are covered with labor?

Tâm | 08/04/2016

Do you have any questions after reading:

https://www.teslamotors.com/support/service-plans

jordanrichard | 08/04/2016

4 yrs/50,000 bumper to bumper. Battery pack/drive unit, 8 yrs/infinite miles.

TeslaTap.com | 08/04/2016

For the Model S/X the bumper to bumper coverage does exclude tires. Other wear items (like brakes and wiper-blades) are covered.

Battery/Drive miles depended on model.Two models (no longer available) had a mileage limit on the battery/drive. S40 had 100,000 miles, and the S60 had 125,000 miles.

dsvick | 08/04/2016

On a related note, with the understanding that the M ☰ might be different than the MS or MX, how much of the maintenance can you do on your own? Things like replacing the cabin air filter, new battery in the key fob, wiper blades, and brake fluid replacement?

If you can do all of that on your own then all you need some year is the inspection, which, I hope, would be significantly less than the $400.

jordanrichard | 08/04/2016

I can only speak about the MS. Yes, you can simply change out the cabin air filter, wiper blades, key FOB battery and brake fluid on your own. However, there is a lot more that is done during the optional annual services. I will give you just 1 example. I just had my second annual service done and at no additional cost, they replaced my wiper arms (vs blades) to a newer design, to improve the clearing of the glass. For whatever reason, the first design even with new blades would leave a noticeable wide streak right at eye level on the driver's side. That is now gone.

dsvick | 08/04/2016

Thanks Jordan, I've got a year and half or so to think about it, but it's nice to know.

Tâm | 08/04/2016

@TeslaTap.com

The link is very clear about extra replacement cost for worn brake pads:

https://www.teslamotors.com/support/service-plans

"Your brakes will be inspected. If the brake pads are outside of recommended specifications, they can be replaced for an additional charge."

cheekedave | 08/04/2016

I would expect the brake pads to be a very low maintenance item now. Just like my Chevy Volt, the regen on the car lessens the use of the physical brake pads and after 1 year they still look brand new.