Forums

Just made a reservation for Model 3

Just made a reservation for Model 3

Now I have made the reservation for Model 3, hope there will be no delays more than normal.

I have one Subaru Outback CNG version today so choosing a more environment friendly car was very easy.
I choosed between VOLVO and Tesla and Tesla won big time ;)

/Henke

ccsccs7 | 31/10/2016

Welcome to the waiting game. :) I've been waiting for a while for a reasonably affordable model to come along.

Randkthorn | 31/10/2016

Congrats and welcome!!

papomonche | 31/10/2016

hi, well i just reserved mine today...hope there are no more delays..:)

dsvick | 31/10/2016

"hope there are no more delays"

There haven't been any yet so I'm not sure why you say "no more".

chasecorpus | 31/10/2016

@dsvick i think they might mean tesla's track record with their other cars.

pomzm67 | 31/10/2016

As you said, the waiting game is on ;)
I have waited a long for a normal priced Tesla ;)
Bought a Subaru CNG in the meantime since our Ford Galaxy died a horrible death.

jordanrichard | 31/10/2016

Subaru CNG? Where are you?

Also, what does Volvo have that is anywhere near a Tesla M≡ that you debated over?

pomzm67 | 31/10/2016

jordanrichard: I'm from Sweden, bought their last CNG Subaru, don't think they will ever do CNG cars anymore.

p0ppasan | 31/10/2016

I just made my reservation on October 29th, and the wait continues .......

Haggy | 31/10/2016

" i think they might mean tesla's track record with their other cars."

If your rank Tesla's cars, ranging from the most complex to build, down to the easiest to build, it goes from Model X to Model S to Model 3. The delay for the Model S was about six months, and it is substantially easier to build than the Model X. The delay was significantly shorter.

If you look at the reasons for the delays, it was the first car that Tesla built from scratch. They needed to configure a factory from scratch. They were a young company with limited experience, and no company had built an EV like a Model S before. When they were making five cars a week, it was hard for Tesla to put pressure on suppliers. Suppliers didn't care much about getting business from Tesla and would literally hang up on them.

If you compare that to the Model 3, Tesla is now a mature company. The Model 3 will be much easier to build. The factory is already there and the new head of production has decades of industry experience with Audi. Suppliers are fighting over the opportunity to make parts for Tesla, since Tesla has more orders up front than the best selling models of other manufacturers sell in a year. The design was completed on time. Specs were sent to suppliers on time. Nothing is behind schedule. Tesla is already getting the factory in shape for the additional production. Parts of it were ready long before the Model 3 was even designed, such as a paint shop that can handle 500,000 cars a year, or machines that can stamp out body parts at that rate or more.

If you want to go by Tesla's experience, factoring in that production has been increasing at a high rate all along, given that the simpler the design, the less the delay, and that Tesla is starting off the Model 3 after having worked out problems in other cars, it's not as if they are going to repeat the problems of the past. They aren't going to start off with the wrong type bearings and then invent better ones, since they already did that. They aren't going to start off with any issues that they already solved. If you look at the reasons for the delays, they aren't there.

That's not to say there won't be any new problems. It's almost a certainty that there will be. So if all suppliers are supposed to have things ready by July 2017, Tesla might have dozens of Model 3s on the production line that are being held up because of a problem with a part, but they are far better equipped to deal with them.

If you look at what held up the Model X, the biggest problems were a door design unlike anything else on the market, and a seat design unlike anything else on the market. With the Model 3, the philosophy is to take advantage of what works on existing models, not go overboard on features that would be difficult to implement, and give people a Tesla that deserves to be called a Tesla.

The delays for the Model X were of a different nature. Tesla projected what year they expected to be done by, but didn't miss formal deadlines. The design itself wasn't final until long after the vehicle was originally expected. And when they did say when it would be done, they got cars to trickle out of the factory by December. If Tesla says the Model 3 will be in production by late 2017, then don't expect a full speed production line by July. Don't expect them to miss the December deadline. But don't be surprised if they are on the road by September and are coming out of the factory at a decent rate. I'm not saying that's what will happen, and even Tesla isn't giving a hard and fast date, but I'd be willing to consider it ahead of schedule if they do that.

Also, keep in mind that quality has been going up. The Model S is now back on the Consumer Reports recommended list due to increases in quality. They faulted Tesla for the Model X quality, but Tesla said that the problem rate has gone down by something near 97%.

In my mind, that makes their track record pretty good.

xautoworld | 01/11/2016

Welcome to the "Cult" my friend !

KP in NPT | 01/11/2016

Great post @Haggy.

minervo.florida | 02/11/2016

2019 for new reseravations IMO.

JHB10 | 03/11/2016

If I look at the number of new reservations in this and other threads, my guess is that the list is still growing even with Tesla trying to convince reservation holders to buy a model S 60

KP in NPT | 03/11/2016

Based on their Q3 disclosure of the amount of deposits held, Electrek speculated closer to 500K reservations now. I agree it just keeps growing.