Forums

When to Wax a New Car

When to Wax a New Car

I've heard its best to wait about 60 days for paint to cure before waxing a new car. Anyone have any additional info on this or thoughts?

lilbean | 30/12/2016

I was just pondering this. But I would like to share this bottle of awesomeness.
http://opti-coat.net/opts/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&produc...
It's a spray wax. You just spray on and wipe off. None of that wax on wax off BS. It lasts for 5 months. I use it on my Ford, not on my Tesla which has been Opticoated.

PedanticOne | 30/12/2016

I've always used Zaino on all my cars. I love it. And yeah, I've also heard you want to wait a month or two after receiving your car before you apply a wax/polish. That said, I've also heard that these days it doesn't matter as much. But I usually still wait because you never know.

aesculus | 30/12/2016

Modern paints don't need curing. That was for lacquers decades ago.

Triggerplz | 30/12/2016

I had Opticoat Pro applied to my car, accordingly it won't need wax for a while......."Opti-Coat PRO is a hard wearing, ceramic clear coating that provides superior scratch resistance, and permanent protection for all factory clear coats. Opti-Coat PRO is not a wax or nano sealant that will wash away, or break down over time with exposure to chemicals and the environment. Opti-Coat PRO bonds permanently with the factory clear coat, protecting the surface indefinitely and will not delaminate.

Opti-Coat PRO is only installed by Authorized Installers and is far superior to any dealership applied products. Trust Automotive Quality Solutions and Optimum Products Opti-Coat PRO to keep your car looking it’s absolute best." I also have Xpel applied

Triggerplz | 30/12/2016

By The Way Both Opticoat and Xpel were applied a week after I got the MX

ernie | 31/12/2016

Ceramic Pro = Opticoat Pro, IMO.

Redmiata98 | 31/12/2016

Clearcoats DO require 30-60 days curing. Part of that curing time is taken up in delivery time but I started my counting from date of receipt just to be safe.
You can safely wax after 60 days.

JAnnen | 31/12/2016

Brett Miller of AAPP received my 5 seat Model X one mile and two minutes after delivery for the Rockville, Md. Service Center. Brett has the experience and recommended Xpel and Ceramic Pro. He has used Opticoat Pro but prefers Ceramic Pro. I'm glad I followed Britt's advice. He is really good at what he does. Highly recommended.
Brett Miller Owner/ Lead installer
All American Paint Protection
301-704-9348

I am not affiliated with AAPP. Just a happy customer.

PedanticOne | 31/12/2016

Isn't it the case that because they bake the cars the cure time is much less?

lilbean | 31/12/2016

If the paint is curing, does the adhesive protective sheets used in transport harm the paint?

Redmiata98 | 31/12/2016

No.