Forums

What is "Traction Control Arm"?

What is "Traction Control Arm"?

All, Just got a call from the SC. They said they wanted me to bring my MX in for an upgrade of the "Traction Control Arm" to the generation 2 of it. What is it? Anyone has had it replaced to the second generation before? She said it would take about 2-3 hours but that I will get a loaner car and they will call when it is done.

Thanks
Keith

lilbean | 09/01/2017

Congrats. They didn't do that for me. Is this the half shaft? I asked for the new half shafts but they said I didn't need it. Lovely.

poloX | 09/01/2017

lilbean, I wish I knew what it is. I have no idea. What does it do? Where is it?

poloX | 09/01/2017

lilbean, I wish I knew what it is. I have no idea. What does it do? Where is it?

PedanticOne | 09/01/2017

I get traction control. I get control arm. I do not get traction control arm.

burdogg | 09/01/2017

I thought the flinstones used their feet, not their arms, now traction control feet I would get, but arms, who uses their arms to move the car, and why would they need traction control if they are not moving the car :)

lilbean | 09/01/2017

I got shafted when I asked for the half shafts. Any ideas how I can get more traction on this?

poloX | 09/01/2017

I am pretty sure what I heard guys. She could not tell me what it is either. I know Traction control is the S/W thing sending power and brake to different wheels...but H/W? Will clarify it when I drop it off a week from this coming Wed. It is a second generation too. Why mine is that unique? Not necessary a good thing. :o)

burdogg | 09/01/2017

Yeah, I don't know anything about any of that stuff. Not questioning you at all, i just had no clue so thought I would try to at least get a laugh. Please do inform us though if you do find out what that is :)

poloX | 09/01/2017

@burdogg, I have to admit that you are extremely patient on the "disappointed" thread. :o) I can't stand it.

I will ask and share what I will find out. Thanks

burdogg | 09/01/2017

Thanks poloX. I learned some things from it about myself, so it was good, still don't agree with it all and interesting to see how some people climb down from their emotional outburst after you start discussing it with them.

When did you take delivery of your X, I can't remember.

poloX | 09/01/2017

yeah and he finally admitted he was over reacted. Oh well. I feel bad for being mean at first too but...man.

I got mine on the 26th. Was supposed to be on the 23rd but got delay. You got yours around a week before me, right?

burdogg | 09/01/2017

Yeah the 22nd - i was thinking that you were around the same time. So really wonder what this new piece is that they called you up at of the blue on. Granted, I have heard that they are really good at being proactive.

I admit, that was one of the threads that I learned on, as I did overreact as well. I think we all were tired of the many posts we were getting on the extreme emotion of not having AP.

burdogg | 09/01/2017

Funny, because if you read it now, he went back in and edited it to take out a lot of the emotion, which is good. But it makes my first comment I made not make sense :) (I talk about class action lawsuit, because he talked about how can it even be legal to charge for something you don't deliver on, or something to that extent. That is no where in there now) So maybe we did make a difference, as I am fine with some complaints, Tesla is NOT perfect, it is the over the top emotion that gets me.

poloX | 09/01/2017

yeah, they still owe me the lower floor tray and the ...forgot the word they used for the vertical barrier piece but she had a better name for that piece that what I call it. :o)

Get back with you in about 9 days on what the heck the Traction Control Arm is about.

COrich | 10/01/2017

Here is a link to a definition of a traction control arm: https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/is-the-traction-control-arm-or-swa...

PedanticOne | 10/01/2017

If that's really it why can't they call it a sway bar like normal people :-P

lilbean | 10/01/2017

Lol pedantic one!

poloX | 10/01/2017

@COrich, Oh, thanks.

So just a sway bar. A dummy metal bar. Why is there a Second generation? Speaking of which, I notice that when I am making a turn, any small turn, I feel the car sway a bit. Not as well of a handling as I have read. Even at 45mph on not too sharp of a freeway entrance curve in TX (Not to be confused with those in CA).

PedanticOne | 10/01/2017

Maybe that's why you need a new one :-P

I can imagine it's really hard to dampen the sway in a 6000lb. car.

PedanticOne | 10/01/2017

Oh wait. I just re-read that article COrich posted. It's actually the trailing arm. NOT the sway bar.

Reading is Fundamental.

burdogg | 10/01/2017

Pedantic - We have learned by sad experience on here that no one really reads :) (sorry, I couldn't resist)

poloX | 10/01/2017

@
PedanticOne, so trailing arm is in the back. Sway bar = Traction Control Arm is in the front. I am replacing my Traction Control arm as I was told.

PedanticOne | 10/01/2017

trailing arms are in both front and back

inconel | 10/01/2017

@PedanticOne how can something in the front be trailing? Unless you are going reverse? :-p

PedanticOne | 10/01/2017

Yes, you are right, they are not commonly used up front in passenger cars it seems. But the trailing arms are actually in *front* of the axle shaft(s), not behind it.

poloX | 19/01/2017

OK, they are working on the front of my car, not the back. Near the drive unit. Seems that they are working on more than just replacing the traction control arm but they are not telling me.

PedanticOne | 19/01/2017

I'd really like to see your work order when they are done.

poloX | 19/01/2017

Yeah, I asked for that too. And as I pushed them, the promised to explain things to me. Just not now for whatever reason.

PedanticOne | 19/01/2017

Too busy panicking. "Crap! How do we put this thing back together!"

poloX | 19/01/2017

lol, indeed, the had to special order a bolt!!! Go figure.

burdogg | 19/01/2017

poloX - there is one person on the S forums that had to wait weeks for Rivets :) Yeah, he was not happy at all. It has kind of become a joke over there, so if you see Rivets, you know why now :)

poloX | 19/01/2017

Rivets??? I hope they don't use those on a Tesla. lol. No, I am in no hurry of getting my car back. :o) I know they are doing the right things as you said. If they don't fix it correctly, then they will fix it. :o) In the meantime, I will enjoy the Ludicrous, not that I can or will drive fast.

PedanticOne | 19/01/2017

Speaking of rivets (sort of), I just hope the welds they do at the factory are better than the ones on the show chassis in the showroom. Holy crap, I can weld better than that. And I can't weld. Yet.

burdogg | 19/01/2017

What Pedantic? I thought you could do anything :)

Yes poloX truly it was rivets - now where they were being used I don't know. It was for someone that had a wreck in his Model S so things were having to be fixed, but yes, the hold up for I think a month was just Rivets. :) They are used somewhere on the Tesla.

PedanticOne | 19/01/2017

I hope they were the kind of rivets that you need to heat up and use a real pneumatic riveter... :-P

Model_D | 20/01/2017

Some airbags use special plastic rivets to hold them in place. They are made of plastic to hold the airbag or whatever is covering it in place and still break when the airbag activates.

PedanticOne | 20/01/2017

Makes sense.

TeslaTap.com | 20/01/2017

The slowly arriving rivets issue was for repairing damaged cars, as it requires a special aluminum rivet made in Japan. These rivets are used to hold items like replacement fenders on, since they can't be welded after the car is built as the attachment area is surrounded by other body parts.

I can't say for sure that no rivets are used in the initial car manufacture, but for the most part Tesla uses welds and glues during manufacture.

burdogg | 20/01/2017

Hey TT, nice to have you over here and helping dispense your knowledge :)

Triggerplz | 20/01/2017

@burdogg along with not saying Flagged myself please don't ever say Hey T T again either :-)

burdogg | 20/01/2017

Triggerplz - you are ruining my vibe. Pretty soon you are going to have me be mute - which does not work on here very well - hand signals just don't translate very well :)

poloX | 21/01/2017

OK, Got my car back just now. Totally confused. No traction control arm whatsoever was done. That was the first call that it was supposed to be replaced to Gen 2 of the traction control arm. Then the second call that something else around the front drive unit. Then the bolt that they had to order. On the Invoice today, it says "replaced torque arm and reaction bolts due to previous containment hold". 6 bolts total on parts. No part listed for the torque arm. I guess I will never know what the heck was replaced in my car other than the bolts.

poloX | 21/01/2017

OK, Got my car back just now. Totally confused. No traction control arm whatsoever was done. That was the first call that it was supposed to be replaced to Gen 2 of the traction control arm. Then the second call that something else around the front drive unit. Then the bolt that they had to order. On the Invoice today, it says "replaced torque arm and reaction bolts due to previous containment hold". 6 bolts total on parts. No part listed for the torque arm. I guess I will never know what the heck was replaced in my car other than the bolts.

poloX | 21/01/2017

burdogg | 21/01/2017

poloX - they needed a model X loaner and yours fit the bill :)

poloX | 21/01/2017

:o) But they gave me the ludicrous, so that did not make sense. I finally did it from 0-63 in one stroke. That was crazy.

burdogg | 21/01/2017

ha - someone needed an X for a loaner overnight, they didn't need the S ludicrous, so brought you in and gave you ludicrous to make up for the use of your car :)

poloX | 21/01/2017

No, they gave me the P90D MD Ludicrous. ha. Got you. :o)

burdogg | 21/01/2017

:(

poloX | 21/01/2017

Good try. :o) I meant MX

Pages