Forums

Obama 2017: Petition Calls for Barack Obama to Run as French President

Obama 2017: Petition Calls for Barack Obama to Run as French President

http://time.com/4681651/barack-obama-french-election-campaign/

If the upcoming French election wasn't tense enough, a petition is calling to add yet another candidate into the mix: former U.S. President Barack Obama.

The Obama 17 campaign, which was launched earlier this week, is attempting to collect 1 million signatures by March 15 in order to persuade Obama to stand in the May election.

"Barack Obama has the best resume in the world for the job," the site explains. "Because at a time when France is about to vote massively for the extreme right, we can still give a lesson of democracy to the planet by electing a French President, a foreigner."

According to NBC, posters calling for Obama 2017 have been plastered around Paris and the petition has received about 27,000 signatures so far. One of the site's founders told NBC that he thought up the idea for the campaign with four friends "after a drink."

This diverse array of contenders in the French election is likely to be winnowed down to a head-to-head race by the country's two-round voting system. Unless one candidate wins a (highly unlikely) majority in the first round, the two candidates who receive the most votes in round one (April 23) will face off in a second round (May 7).

DTsea | 24/02/2017

Wouldnt he have to be a French citizen? Or speak French?

Silver2K | 24/02/2017

He can have an interpreter.

"The current president of France is Francois Hollande. He was voted into office on May 15, 2012. In France, the president serves of term of 5 years, and can only serve two terms. There are a few qualifications to become president of France. You must be at least 18 years old and a citizen of the country. You must be eligible to vote, have no criminal record, and have a bank account. To become president of France you must also be nominated by at least 500 qualified elected officials, such as members of Parliament."

carlk | 24/02/2017

It's eligible for someone who's born in Kenya? ;)

vperl | 24/02/2017

Good question !

pagrimm1 | 24/02/2017

Maybe then we will get to see his real birth certificate.

Teetoogrn | 24/02/2017

Well, I'd prefer we send them the current president instead...who's with me?

joemar10 | 24/02/2017

As much as I'd like to get rid of Don the Con, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy. We'd still have President Bannon to deal with anyway.

SCCRENDO | 24/02/2017

I would gladly sacrifice President Trump to France. Even if we end up with President Pence.
Back to the main point. At least the French appreciate our previous president even if the basket of deplorables don't.

Dramsey | 24/02/2017

That is just _precious_. I would certainly support any effort to have Obama move to France.

SCCRENDO | 24/02/2017

@dramsey. I would too. I think that if eligible France will benefit. They get a smart president and we are left with a consolation prize. A clown.

bigd | 24/02/2017

SCCRENDO "@dramsey. I would too. I think that if eligible France will benefit. They get a smart president and we are left with a consolation prize. A clown." Yes, France needs a more divided country to let the next president try to clean up LOL

lilbean | 24/02/2017

Haha!

RedShift | 24/02/2017

Some could say Trump is dividing this country more than anyone else along skin pigmentation lines. But of course cons won't listen because they are such flamin hypocrites.

RedShift | 24/02/2017

@dramsey

You know what would be _precious_? All conservatives moving to the middle of the country and trying to make it on their own, without the subsidies from the blue blooded liberals from the left coast. That's what would be precious.

They whine about liberals, while living off their hard earned dollars, then whine and complain immigrants are taking away their jobs. Get off your fat lazy asses, stop asking for government protection, grow some skills (if you can) and compete. Let's see if you can.

bigd | 24/02/2017

RedShift "Some could say Trump is dividing this country more than anyone else along skin pigmentation lines" Interesting point, do you have a peer reviewed article to back up this claim?

RedShift | 24/02/2017

No, I have ample amount of video of Trump speaking at length on the subject. Have you lived under a rock for so long that you have not virpewed any of it?

bigd | 24/02/2017

Sorry that you did not get the joke there red.

bigd | 24/02/2017

PS just read an article about president Obama and Louis Farrakhan Sr (was not to good for the Jewish people). But alt left want to forget that :-)

RedShift | 24/02/2017

I'm not joking there bigd. Why would you joke about something so serious? Have you viewed the news about an Indian getting murdered in Kansas? Have you seen his wife's tearful video about how she is not so sure about choosing America as a destination?

Do you know I was actually a Trump supporter until he refused to stand up for the homeless man killed by Trump supporters back in the summer of 2015? (Seems so long ago, doesn't it.) this event is completely lost in the miasma of many more outrageous things!

Trump has built his presidency on the pile of racism, xenophobia and stupidity of the middle America. I hate it. You pretend we should still give this bloke a chance. That's the difference between you and me.

RedShift | 24/02/2017

@bigd

Obama is not the president. Hillary lost the election. Welcome to 2017 (again)

I don't agree with some things Obama did. He was a bit divisive. I grant you that. We are nowlooking at a complete narcissistic psycho who is charge of the most powerful nation. Focus, please.

bigd | 24/02/2017

RedShift This was all started 8 years ago by the great divider and chief. "Trump has built his presidency on the pile of racism, xenophobia and stupidity of the middle America." And yet you forget that this is how "middle America" has lived the last 8 years. The country (socially) was so much better until now but you refuse to see this. Until you do, we cannot have a educated discussion about the problems.

Again, not saying you are completely wrong, just that Trump played on the previous incompetence of the previous administrations.

RedShift | 24/02/2017

@bigd

What it boils down to is the middle asking for government protection. They live off of hard working left coast liberals whom they deride, then ask for handouts. It didn't start 8 years ago, though that idea must give conservatives comfort, it started when free market economics took hold on a global scale.

Conservatives love to spout giddy in favour of free market economics.. until it hits home. Market always looks for the cheapest, most efficient way to make product. It's a bitch, ain't it.

SCCRENDO | 24/02/2017

@bigd. The racism, xenophobia and misogyny was already here. Obama did his best to heal it and he made a lot of progress. The main group he upset was the blue collar, uneducated, unskilled, racist, misogynistic white male. The democrats badly underestimated their political strength and that of Trump and they have come into power. His message has always been on division and has now begun to viciously attack Muslims, Mexicans and the Transgender community. Anti-semitism is on the rise. No other reason to accuse Trump of being a divider.

bigd | 24/02/2017

SCCRENDO "Obama did his best to heal it" Wrong

"The main group he upset was the blue collar, uneducated, unskilled, racist, misogynistic white male" Again, you show your true colors as you went to the labeling, name calling. you are unworthy of discussion with as other have said. Sad thing is I really wanted to have a discussion and you until you interrupt it with your hate,

PS where is your peer reviewed data to support your claims???

bigd | 24/02/2017

Red it's a bitch, ain't it. Elaborate on this if you are attacking me sir.

His message has always been on division and has now begun to viciously attack Muslims
, Mexicans
and the Transgender community.

Please show me how you define this so we can discus it sir. I know what the alt right (CNN) says but I would like an intelligent person as yourself to tell me what you mean.

bigd | 24/02/2017

Sorry I meant alt left

SCCRENDO | 24/02/2017

@bigd. Who needs peer reviewed data with you guys. You wouldn't understand it.

RedShift | 24/02/2017

Free market economics are undoing the fabric of middle America. Not Obama, not left coast liberals. Neither Trump, nor any Goldman or god woman can save the middle. Only higher skill set can, and not all of them.

And we know higher skill set is not achievable, for, let's be serious here, it would have happened already, of it was going to happen. America cannot produce enough skilled labor so there has to be H1B. They cannot produce enough skilled labor that I have to scout for talent in India for my start up (though my lietutunants are all here, all PhDs, and all highly skilled,and leftcpast liberals, mind)

Ain't that a bitch. I don't know where you thought I was attacking you. Why would I attack you?

Now coming to his attacks on minorities - this is his red meat to consolidate his power base. Simple. Attack the media, minorities, and be safe in the knowledge they are all distracted long enough not to notice how fragile, incompetent, narcissistic, stupid, bumbling, fool you are.

compchat | 24/02/2017

@Redshift,

More bullshit propaganda from the left wing extremists.
1. America has the right to protect its borders
2. America has the right and duty to protect its citizens.
3. America has NO obligation to accept illegal aliens.
4. In fact there are laws against illegaly entering the country.
5. Mr. Trump will enforce the laws already on the books.

If you hate those ideas then I suggest you move to Canada.
BTW CNN is not a right leaning network. It is a left leaning network and that's why we lovingly call it the Clinton News Network.

What homless man was killed by Trump supporters??? And even is this were true are you saying all trump supporters are murders ?

Do you actually own a Tesla ? Why are you here anyway ?

compchat | 24/02/2017

@Redshift,

You are such an idiot. You got the attackers wrong. They were anti-trump demonstrators who killed the homless Veteran. Check your sources and sober up.

http://www.snopes.com/protesters-beat-homeless-veteran/

compchat | 24/02/2017

@Redshift,

"Mark Rolfe, 51, passed away early Saturday morning from injuries sustained when he was attacked by a group of protesters outside of a Sunoco gas station in the Olney neighborhood of North Philadelphia. Rolfe was a veteran of the United States Army, serving one tour in the first Gulf War and one tour in Afghanistan.

According to eyewitness reports, Rolfe was attacked by a group of young adults who were out protesting the election of Donald Trump. The group of protesters, who have not been identified, were attempting to set fire to an American flag when Rolfe yelled at them to stop. The protesters responded by attacking the homeless veteran with a hammer, a piece of wood, and a table leg."

I hope President Trump does prosecute people who vandalize them American Flag. It is against the law and I hope President Trump's justice department prosecutes them to the fullest extent of that law.

NOW Redshift, would you like to apologize to the President for your unfounded libelous accusations ?

compchat | 24/02/2017

BTW,

I believe that the media should report news not make news. I'm tired of hearing the talking heads do nothing but beat on Trump all day. It only serves to anger Trump's base and make them believe what President Trump says about the media (most of which is true). Sheppard, on Fox News, hates Trump and picks his every word apart. I don't watch him or several other people on Fox News because they are totally biased against President Trump. Give me the facts and I'll decide my own opinions. I don't nee CNN or Fox telling me how to think. Oh for the days of Larry King.

SCCRENDO | 25/02/2017

@compchat. Reread the Snopes link you posted. The original fake claim came from the Christian Monitor newspaper linking the death of a homeless man by anti-Trump protesters. You Snopes link in fact states it was untrue and was some footage from 2015

SamO | 25/02/2017

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Alternative facts
Classic

RedShift | 25/02/2017

@compchat

Thanks for the compliments. My compliments to your genes. Your parents did an awesome job. You are a genius.

Silver2K | 25/02/2017

can we please concentrate on Obama being prez in France?

gaawwwd :)

RedShift | 25/02/2017

Ever been to France, Silver? It's awesome.

Remnant | 25/02/2017

@SilverP85plus (OP, February 24, 2017)

<< Obama 2017: Petition Calls for Barack Obama to Run [for] French President >>

Such a quest is natural for the expert he now is, in Islamizing and bankrupting large national economies, due to his two terms as POTUS.

Silver2K | 25/02/2017

Remnant | February 25, 2017
@SilverP85plus (OP, February 24, 2017)
<< Obama 2017: Petition Calls for Barack Obama to Run [for] French President >>
Such a quest is natural for the expert he now is, in Islamizing and bankrupting large national economies, due to his two terms as POTUS.
--------------------------------------------

crack is whack bro :)

Silver2K | 25/02/2017

RedShift | February 25, 2017
Ever been to France, Silver? It's awesome.
------------------------------------

never, but it's on my list.
I've heard it's amazing. I'll most likely go next year in February

ram1901 | 25/02/2017

Go Le Pen! :)

PHIL | 25/02/2017

"You can fool all of the people some of the time and you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

For those angry posters that think we're in a better place with this guy in charge nothing anyone says here will be persuasive.

We can argue politics and policy all day but what's indisputable is observable character, integrity and knowledge none of which this president possesses. Facts count. Words matter. A free press ( right/left, crazy/sane) is the bulwark of our democracy - everyone gets that surely, right?

The founding fathers, flawed men that they were, are spinning in their graves and I'm sad but ready to do all I can to support our institutions and values.

It can happen here..........

Remnant | 26/02/2017

@SilverP85plus (February 25, 2017)

<< crack is whack bro :) >>

Good crack, bro!

compchat | 26/02/2017

There's a difference between a "free press" and a "fake" left wing propaganda machine. Any fair minded person watching TV news knows that the press is biased (very much so) towards the democratic machine and against the Republican party and President Trump in particular.

The last word. You democrats LOST. President Trump won. You will no doubt try to impeach him for some bullshit reason as you analyze in minute detail everything he says and does. Impeachment will fail or result in a real and nasty fight. Be careful what you guys wish for.

And why is that lying cheating Donna Brazil (sic) just only now passing power to someone new. Shameful that the democratic party ignores a lying cheating Brazil who actuall presided over the Democratic apppointment of a new ignoramus spouting all type of communist dogma.

TRUMP won. Billary Lost. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hhahahahahahhahahahah

compchat | 26/02/2017

@Scrrendo,

I quoted the link exactly as it was written. Your understanding is wrong.

Ross1 | 26/02/2017

Take your grievances to The Department of Vital Statistics thread

Let us parlez Francais

SCCRENDO | 26/02/2017

@compchat. My understanding is that Snopes debunked the original fake news article. What did you undersand from your link?

Teetoogrn | 26/02/2017

Wow! I don't know which leader past or present is to blame for how divided this country is, but if this forum topic is any indication, there's a pacific ocean between political views of what America is all about. I doubt if any comments here will bring someone to the "other" side, but I offer this. To the Trump haters, if Obama had dealings with the Russians, pushed for a wall on our southern border and spoke of his victory margin and inauguration size at memorials, would you be as angry? And to the Obama haters, if Trump had saved a large part of the US auto industry and the jobs that went with it, ended Osama Bin Laden's life and helped navigate unemployment from 10% to roughly 5%, would you say he had done a good job? My point is, we see what we want to see. And we're too locked into our own views to EVER see that of someone else. We've lost our ability to be one America...and to that, I don't know who to blame.

IgnoranceBliss | 26/02/2017

@PHIL - How wrong you are.... Words do not matter... Actions do. Trump, despite his embarrassing mannerisms, has already done more for the US Economy than obama ever has.

Oh please let France take little barry, anything to keep him from ruining the U.S. anymore. Let's see how bad he be for that liberal European country, especially with security from terrorism.

Perhaps they will grant asylum to all of the LW Americans who claim "Not My President".

Pages