Forums

Announcement on when Design Studio will open for M3?

Announcement on when Design Studio will open for M3?

So I know enough not to ask when I will be receiving my M3 as the answer to that is mostly unknown. However does anyone know if Elon or Tesla as a entity announced a time frame when they will open the Design Studio for the M3?

Thanks!

ddrmadness | 08/03/2017

Elon said on the recent quarter earnings call that the design studio would open up shortly before limited production starts in July, so probably some time in June.

Shadowmist | 08/03/2017

Awesome thanks!

eandmjep | 09/03/2017

It has been said that It will open for Employees first so it may be an internal item and not open on the website for a couple months after. I Hope That Is WRONG :)

SoFlaModel3 | 09/03/2017

Either way ... at the point that it opens for employees, screenshots will leak to the internet. Assuming all options and prices are listed, we could get a sense for what we are going to order and how much it will cost.

Carl Thompson | 09/03/2017

SoFlaModel3:
"Either way ... at the point that it opens for employees, screenshots will leak to the internet. Assuming all options and prices are listed, we could get a sense for what we are going to order and how much it will cost."

Not necessarily. Many employees have undoubtedly seen the 3's final trunk design, front-end tweaks, interior design, dash design, steering wheel, etc. but none of that has leaked. Tesla is good at keeping secrets.

Carl

KP in NPT | 09/03/2017

they are very good at keeping secrets. There was absolutely nothing leaked before the Model 3 reveal. Pretty impressive.

Elon has also recently reiterated worker's keeping secrets by making them sign non-disclosure agreements.

Personally I like they are keeping a lid on it. I don't want leaks. It's like peeking in your parent's closet to see what they got you for Christmas. ;-)

gavinfaulkner | 09/03/2017

There is so much hype an speculation that this will be an exception. I suspect leaks will happen and if so it baffles me how Tesla couldn't anticipate that and at least have a final detail reveal before the configurator goes live for employees. It just makes sense. Why would they risk a series of "mini reveals" from leaked information or spy shots when they could blow peoples minds (and wallets) with a single Apple-style hyperbole-fest. Better for the mainstream press to handle, less possibility of misinformation being spread (and therefore disappointment and/or pre-order cancellation) and even perhaps with pre-production surveys an early idea of what configurations people are going to aim for.

Or perhaps Tesla do want spotty mainstream media coverage, the spread of misinformation, disappointed potential customers and be completely in the dark as to demands on production.

stevenmaifert | 09/03/2017

If they follow the same path for the M3 reservation holders as they did with the Model S, the Design Studio will open for everybody at the same time. You can have fun playing with the "configurator" and save the design(s) you want. When your reservation number comes up, you will be sent an email "It's Time to Build Your Model 3" with a link to start the order process.

SoFlaModel3 | 09/03/2017

Suffice to say it should be interesting.

There was the recent photo from the factory floor, so it's not a hard stretch to imagine someone taking a screenshot of the design studio and throwing it out there for others to see.

Who knows...

getsolarizednow | 09/03/2017

I can't imagine they would handle it the same way as the Model-S. There are so many more reservations for the Model-3. It's really exciting to be at the forefront of the ICE disruption! I believe the Model-3 will set the bar for electric cars and it will be high! I was at about 70,000 on the list. I reserved before the introduction reveal on 3/31/16. To all of my fellow Tesla lovers, BE PROUD! You are part of a real revolution.

dsvick | 09/03/2017

"I can't imagine they would handle it the same way as the Model-S. There are so many more reservations for the Model-3"

Why would more people mean not doing it the same way?

bmalloy0 | 09/03/2017

Dsvick: if they let all ~600k people configure at the same time, the servers may overload. The site's livefeed crashed during the reveal

dsvick | 09/03/2017

"if they let all ~600k people configure at the same time, the servers may overload. The site's livefeed crashed during the reveal"

Yes, but that was streaming video. I would seriously hope their servers can handle a couple hundred thousand hits at a time for just regular traffic.And most of it is a single page anyway do it only needs to load once.

Garyeop | 09/03/2017

Software screens can be digitally and visually watermarked. You might be surprised at what a 12 mp phone photo of 4k monitor can reveal.

Also remember production of a website, like production of a car, needs a breaking in period. It is hard to make things idiot proof, idiots are so ingenious. That screen is part of the Tesla image. I would never miss the chance to test ride the software.

Amazon aws was shut down a few days ago by one employee entering 1 extra digit in a command. It even took down the website "IsItDown" (I do love irony). If Tesla can test, evaluate, fix using a statistically significant group...before opening it to the over 1/2 million users...they will.