Forums

Using the HPWC to charger other EVs

Using the HPWC to charger other EVs

Since European Teslas use the Mennekes charging port, I'm wondering if there's anything preventing you from using a HPWC to charge an i3, e-Golf, Zoe, Ioniq etc.

mcsario | 28/04/2017

hmm... I'm from the US so not sure how different the Superchargers are there in Europe but from what I've read a while ago so this might've changed already, most other EV's aren't able to handle the amount of electricity delivered by a Supercharger yet. So that might mean plugging it in will either fry your battery or I would think that the Superchargers are smart enough to know that a Tesla isn't plugged into it and won't start charging. Good question though.

mcsario | 28/04/2017

Uh... nvm. I assumed HPWC was some abbreviation for Supercharger.

Tarla's Driver | 28/04/2017

There's a vaporware solution for the US HWPC called the JDapter. It would be a great solution for people with a Tesla and another non-Tesla plug-in. I just bought a used Leaf to tide me over until the Model 3 is out, and in researching chargers, I found that I could get a 3.3kv charger for under $300 that plugs into a NEMA 14-50 like the Tesla UMC. That's a 15A charger. Moving to a 30A charger puts it close to $600, which is more expensive than the 80A HPWC. Tesla has by far the cheapest charger in its class, but it can't connect to non-Teslas (at least in the US). I would love to know the answer to the original poster's question--I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Captain_Zap | 28/04/2017

Nope. A HPWC is a "High Power Wall Charger" that is AC. It is frequently found in homes and at destinations. Supercharging is much more powerful and DC.

Captain_Zap | 28/04/2017

Sorry that I stepped on you Tarla's Driver. That "Nope" was for mcsario.

stevenmaifert | 28/04/2017

As long as those other cars also use the Mennekes port, it would probably work.

Tarla's Driver | 28/04/2017

Assuming that works, then the question I have is:
Is there a Mennekes -> J1772 adapter?
Is there a Tesla US -> Mennekes adapter (for charging a European Tesla brought to North America)?
Could you get both of those and use them together to charge a Leaf with a US HPWC?

DonS | 28/04/2017

Obviously it would physically connect, but I don't know about the signaling. In the USA, J1772 signaling is used for both J1772 connectors and Tesla's proprietary connector, so they are easily converted. It seems the European law that forced the connector choice would also include the communications protocol or there would be no point.

Supercharging is a different beast that is Tesla proprietary.

Earl and Nagin ... | 28/04/2017

Remember that the J-1772 standard was carefully designed to NOT be compatible with Tesla. Therefore, it is unlikely that anyone from that camp would be interested in making an adapter so that it WOULD be compatible with Tesla.
Tesla, on the other hand made the best standard for charging but they aren't afraid to give their customers the option to use the inferior J-1772 if available. After, all, Tesla actually wants to sell EVs.