Forums

UPDATE: Gulag for the Wealthy? Now with Lawsuits.

UPDATE: Gulag for the Wealthy? Now with Lawsuits.

Most of us only dream of putting the wealthy in a gulag, Comrade Ja has actually gone and done it #fyrefestival

Famous models on yachts! Exclusive island once owned by Pablo Escobar! Blink-182!

Those were just some of the selling points for Fyre Festival, a supposedly opulent music weekend that was scheduled to begin in the Bahamas on Thursday, with “first-class culinary experiences and a luxury atmosphere,” along with performances by G.O.O.D. Music, Major Lazer, Migos and more.

Promoted by Instagram influencers including Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid and Emily Ratajkowski as a never-before-seen V.I.P. event, the gathering — with weekend ticket packages starting around $1,200 and topping six-figures with extras — was supposed to compete in an increasingly elaborate landscape of boutique music festivals that have sprung up in the wake of Coachella.

But when guests arrived on the island of Great Exuma for the inaugural weekend, they found something closer to “Survivor”: grounds that were woefully lacking in the promised amenities, replaced instead by dirt fields, soggy tents and folding chairs.

On social media, where Fyre Festival had been sold as a selfie-taker’s paradise, accounts showed none of the aspirational A-lister excesses, with only sad sandwiches and free alcohol to placate the restless crowds. General disappointment soon turned to near-panic as the festival was canceled and attendees attempted to flee back to the mainland of Florida. Accounts from the island itself suggest that the festival was immediately plagued by a total lack of organization, shoddy accommodations, and luggage mishaps, in addition to unconfirmed reports of violence, theft, and feral dogs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/arts/music/fyre-festival-ja-rule-baha...

On Monday, Daniel Jung, an attendee of the luxury-weekend-turned-Hunger Games shit show that was the Fyre Festival, launched a $100 million class action suit against the owners, saying they knowingly charged attendees thousands of dollars to be “stranded on a remote island” with “little more than bread and a slice of cheese.” The class action suit names Fyre Media and co-founders Billy McFarland and Ja Rule as plaintiffs, suing them for fraud, misrepresentative advertising, and breach of contract.

Essentially, Jung’s suit makes three major allegations against McFarland, Ja and Fyre Media. First, that organizers knew long before the day of the event that they couldn’t accommodate attendees, yet didn’t cancel the event. The suit specifically alleges that Fyre’s organizers warned A-list stars and its top talent not to attend the festival because it was a pending disaster. This, they allege, is proof that the organizers knew that “the festival was outrageously underequipped and potentially dangerous for anyone in attendance.”

Second, they allege the accommodations were not just shoddy, they put partygoers’ health at risk. There’s almost no end to the social media evidence of Fyre Festival’s poor accommodations, and this section of the complaint includes screen grabs from the #fyrefestival and #fyrefraud hashtags. This is why it’s a particularly bad idea to piss off thousands of Insta-obsessed millennials: evidence is all over the place. Here, Jung alleges luggage was dumped into the sand from a shipping container. So do the suit’s complaints about the “FEMA tents” for accommodation, wild animals roaming the grounds, heinous food and lack of security and medical staff.

http://gizmodo.com/100-million-lawsuit-claims-fyre-festival-owners-knew-...

SamO | 29/04/2017

I'm already looking for tickets for next year.

Bighorn | 29/04/2017

Every thug needs a lady

SamO | 29/04/2017

Are you referring to Amber?

RedShift | 29/04/2017

Couple of months back, I was speaking to an entrepreneur friend of mine, and a Trump supporter A1 grade. He told me it is 'disrespectful' to say Donald Trump is as bad as I was saying he was. (I had brought up the Russian connection)

My response was - 'OK, let us not argue. Let us assume he is right. But tell me honestly the #1 reason you supported him'.

He says: ' I support him because he is going to lower my business taxes'.

Me: ' ok, that's fine, but does it really help the low paid employees?'

Him: ' no, but who cares? I don't care? I'm happy as long as he keeps my rate lower'

My last response was :'Bear in mind, this will lead to even more increased inequality. Then the pitch forks come out, there will be large scale civil unrest'.

He just shrugged.

I'm not making this up. We have seen this experiment fail to produce any results many times in the past. (Lower taxes, increase defense spending)

What part of the 'unpaid tax cuts' do we not get? Are we that bad in math that we need repeated painful lessons to finally learn 5th grade level math and logic? Deficit is going to rise!

The wealthy may be rejoicing now (I'm not what you call 'very wealthy', though I do well for myself) but this is leading to serious problems years from now. Bush did it and we had to clean up for last 8 years. Trump is going to do it, and it seems his supporters are beyond common sense, logic or reason.

Is this how the Roman Empire falls?

SUN 2 DRV | 29/04/2017

RS: +1

I also have an acquaintance who votes for anyone that promises to lower his taxes.

Some people only think of themselves, while others consider the entire community/country.
Some observers have hypothesized that's the essence of the Red vs Blue divide.

MitchP85D | 29/04/2017

Lower taxes makes it easier to engage in commerce. In a high tax/high regulatory environment, businesses are hanging onto every dime, nickel and penny that comes through their cash register. This suppresses economic growth. When businesses are allowed to keep more income, they use that money to expand their business in the hopes of making more money. This in turn results in more hiring. If the taxes get lowered this year, watch all of the help wanted signs go up everywhere. With the increased employment, there is less need for costly welfare programs which do nothing more than perpetuate poverty.

Trump's top tax rate of 35% is the same as W's. I don't really see anything all that radical about it. But lowering the capital gains tax down to 15% is something significant. Bill Clinton lowered Ronald Reagan's 28% capital gains tax to 20%. Subsequent to that, good economic growth which led to temporarily balancing the budget. Funny thing is that democrats don't like that fact, and turn the other way when that fact is brought up to them.

SamO | 29/04/2017

The wealthy made their own gulag. That's the best part of the story.

+1 @Redshift

RedShift | 29/04/2017

@mitch

Theory is very nice. Results are stubborn creatures.

SCCRENDO | 29/04/2017

Mitch. Lowering corporate taxes will certainly increase hiring to a certain degree. However not even mainstream Republicans think that lowering corporate taxes to 15% will work because it will increase the deficit and cause inflation. Cutting personal taxes does not truly do what the Republicans say it does
https://www.thebalance.com/do-tax-cuts-create-jobs-3306325
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/10/would-cutting-corpo...

SamO | 29/04/2017

Mitch doesn't believe anything he writes. It's all just a conservative word salad.

Tax cuts, blech, Global Cooling, slart, Coal is good, fleng, Planned Parenthood is the devil, glom, Welfare Mom's and Obama phones, vomit.

RedShift | 29/04/2017

What drives a business are new customers, sales. If you are spending too much time worrying about taxes, it's the not the most productive use of your time.

I'm not saying this applies in general to every business, but it applies to most.

Goose | 29/04/2017

@Red ... +1

@Mitch ... trickle down didn't work for Ronnie, didn't work for Bush #1, and sure didn't work for Bush #2

Goose | 29/04/2017

I might add that Romney proposed the same crap and we discovered that he took his profits and did not invest in new jobs in the USA, but at the banks in the Cayman Islands

Goose | 29/04/2017

I might add that Romney proposed the same crap and we discovered that he took his profits and did not invest in new jobs in the USA, but at the banks in the Cayman Islands

MitchP85D | 29/04/2017

Hey goose, hate to cook ya, but Bush Sr. raised taxes!

SamO | 29/04/2017

Apropos of nothing, Germans love David Hasselhoff. Back to the OP. Rich people can be such idiots. Reminds me a lot of our current president.

Name three differences between Fyre Festival and Mar a Lago?

RedShift | 29/04/2017

Mar-a-lago had more sanitary violations.

Bighorn | 29/04/2017

No shortage of golden showers at Mar a Lago.

MitchP85D | 29/04/2017

Didn't work for Ronnie? Then explain his 49 state landslide election in 1984!!!!

Goose = cooked!

SamO | 29/04/2017

Mar a Lago has more angry white people.

SCCRENDO | 29/04/2017

This president gig has been great. But I disagree. Mar a lago has not been just for angrey white dudes. The whole world is now showing up there competing to see who can get their heads further up Trump's anus.

Mitch. What is worse? A president who spent the last few years of his presidency totally demented versus a president without diagnosed Alzheimer's spending his first 100 days of his presidency in a worse state.

MitchP85D | 30/04/2017

I like P.J. O'Rourke's assessment of both political parties. We have the silly party and the stupid party. I vote for the stupid party because they have less ideas how to spend our money!

And this is from the man who also said, "I endorse Hillary Clinton, because she is the second worst thing that can happen to our country!" That should tell you what he thinks of Trump.

After 4 years of Trump, our nation will be able to decide if he's done a good job or not. Our founders thought this through. They built a wonderful system of checks and balances. Dementia? Alzheimer's? Just silly words for politicians you don't like.

SamO | 30/04/2017

Dear Ensalad Palabra,

Here's Reagan's letter to America admitting he hadn't Alzheimer's.

http://time.com/4473625/ronald-reagan-alzheimers-letter/

Do you even know how to dress yourself? Party of stupid, indeed.

SamO | 30/04/2017

Had

Garyeop | 30/04/2017

I grew up poor in a family of scoundrels. I remember uncles telling me that it was their duty to take the wealth of unworthy princes. That only they stood in the way of foolish leaders. Perhaps there is need for a Ra's al Ghul.

MitchP85D | 30/04/2017

Hey SamO, see the date of the letter? Nov 5, 1994. What goofy, dumb-ass, silly little liberal democrat point are you trying to make? Alzheimer's was Reagan's fault?

SCCRENDO | 30/04/2017

Mitch. Nobody said it was Reagan's fault. It's the country's fault for not recognizing it just as it's the country's fault for electing this latest nincompoop. The country will survive despite our leaders.

SamO | 30/04/2017

"Dementia? Alzheimer's? Just silly words for politicians you don't like."

I'm thinking Reagan called it Alzheimer's. His doctor called it Alzheimer's. Nancy called it Alzheimer's.

Must be more of that "Librul" conspiracy involving science again.

I've met puddles with more depth. Either Mitch is 12 or 90.

MitchP85D | 30/04/2017

SamO, Reagan got out of office in 1989, correct? The letter was written in 1994.

SCCRENDO | 30/04/2017

Mitch. Again you are missing the point. You seem to have lost the ability to refute arguments in a logical manner. This has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative Reagan was a smart guy. I went to his library and was very impressed. He got the US believing in themselves and was possibly the cataylist to the fall of communism although it is more likely just in the right place at the right time. His economic principles got the country going in the short term but he created a tremendous deficit. He was unfortunately the victim of Alzheimer's and probably should have been made to step down. We have now gone ahead an elected a total incompetent who does have some good advisers around him. Hopefully he listens to them because I would not trust him to babysit ny dog.
https://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-by-era/age-reagan/essays/ronald-re...
http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/20...
http://progressive.org/op-eds/credit-reagan-ending-cold-war/

SamO | 01/05/2017

On Monday, Daniel Jung, an attendee of the luxury-weekend-turned-Hunger Games shit show that was the Fyre Festival, launched a $100 million class action suit against the owners, saying they knowingly charged attendees thousands of dollars to be “stranded on a remote island” with “little more than bread and a slice of cheese.” The class action suit names Fyre Media and co-founders Billy McFarland and Ja Rule as plaintiffs, suing them for fraud, misrepresentative advertising, and breach of contract.

Essentially, Jung’s suit makes three major allegations against McFarland, Ja and Fyre Media. First, that organizers knew long before the day of the event that they couldn’t accommodate attendees, yet didn’t cancel the event. The suit specifically alleges that Fyre’s organizers warned A-list stars and its top talent not to attend the festival because it was a pending disaster. This, they allege, is proof that the organizers knew that “the festival was outrageously underequipped and potentially dangerous for anyone in attendance.”

Second, they allege the accommodations were not just shoddy, they put partygoers’ health at risk. There’s almost no end to the social media evidence of Fyre Festival’s poor accommodations, and this section of the complaint includes screen grabs from the #fyrefestival and #fyrefraud hashtags. This is why it’s a particularly bad idea to piss off thousands of Insta-obsessed millennials: evidence is all over the place. Here, Jung alleges luggage was dumped into the sand from a shipping container. So do the suit’s complaints about the “FEMA tents” for accommodation, wild animals roaming the grounds, heinous food and lack of security and medical staff.

http://gizmodo.com/100-million-lawsuit-claims-fyre-festival-owners-knew-...