Forums

General Engine Inquiry

General Engine Inquiry

Hello,

I've been curious about the Model S engine but can only find facts on HP.

How big is the engine (Cubic cm, liters, etc.)?

All I have found outside of HP is it weighs around 70lbs.

Thanks.

RedShift | 27/06/2017

It has 7.67 liters capacity and about 24.8 cylinders and equal number of pistons.

It's con rods are made of high density Osmium and uses the element Radium in its exhausts to give a glowing effect on exhaust gases.

j/k.

Look up electric motor.

RR_GreenP85Dee | 27/06/2017

no fuel injectors @Red?

Silver2K | 27/06/2017
georgehawley.fl.us | 27/06/2017

As Tesla is an EV thayt has electric motors rather than engines, you probably mean "General Motors" question.😉

RedShift | 27/06/2017

Sorry, forgot about the solid gold fuel injectors for maintaining a pure and fast fuel delivery. :-)

Rocky_H | 27/06/2017

For someone to just not know that Tesla cars use an electric motor instead of a gas engine is not that unusual. People on the street ask that sometimes. But for someone to find Tesla's website and create an account on their forum to be able to ask the question here and still not know that is really strange.

DTsea | 27/06/2017

For those who dont know the difference..

Engine is a machine that converts heat of combustion to motion. Used to be called a prime mover.

A motor converts energy generated any other way to motion. Pneumatic, hydraulic and electric motors are common types.

carlgo2 | 27/06/2017

You know he may be asking about the physical dimensions. At first I took the question to mean he didn't know it was electric or what electric means, but now I think he was trying to get an idea of its physical size. It is the size of a large, traditional watermelon.

Bighorn | 27/06/2017

African or European?

Tropopause | 27/06/2017

Look on Tesla's website and you'll see the size of the motors relative to the chassis.

David N | 27/06/2017

For the OP,
In all seriousness, The size of the electric motor is about the size of a watermelon.
That of course is a generalization, but are the words of JB Straubel.
Hope that helps.

jordanrichard | 28/06/2017

The motor itself is about 18 inches long and about 12-14 inches in diameter.

rxlawdude | 28/06/2017

Another carpet bomb troll question, with OP nowhere to be found...

Tropopause | 28/06/2017

OP's username does contain the letters "eagl".

NKYTA | 28/06/2017

@Tropo, getting right to the conspiracy. ;-) ;-)

vp09 | 28/06/2017

I demonstrated Summon to a patron of the restaurant where my wife and I dined a few months ago. She was wowed. She told us she worked for Toyota, and she loved hybrids!!!

Sleepydoc1 | 28/06/2017

@vp sad but funny.

eric.zucker | 29/06/2017

The engine is unquestionably naturally aspirated.

UnshodBob | 29/06/2017

@eric - if it's naturally aspirated, then why do we have superchargers? :)

eric.zucker | 29/06/2017

@UnshodBob: Now, you got me wondering....

finman100 | 29/06/2017

Silver, great video links! thanks. I think I know what I'm doing at work today...ummmm...those TPS reports. yeah, that's it.

RedShift | 29/06/2017

@finman

You work at Penetrode?

brando | 29/06/2017

Why is Model S the quickest? Tesla uses dual injectors, one for electrons and one for protons.
No Turbo, but does have magnetic induction and not naturally aspirated, IMHO.

(S is for "Space" Age Technologies)

brando | 29/06/2017

Why is Model S the quickest? Tesla uses dual injectors, one for electrons and one for protons.
No Turbo, but does have magnetic induction and not naturally aspirated, IMHO.

(S is for "Space" Age Technologies)

Frank99 | 29/06/2017

One of the reasons that the "Ludicrous" option costs so much is that they upgrade the engine and fuel systems to run on positrons rather than electrons. You have to change the materials everything is made out of because otherwise those positrons will eat right through the walls of the fuel tank (in a somewhat exciting way, I might add...).

reed_lewis | 29/06/2017

I thought it was a matter/antimatter reactor?

RedShift | 29/06/2017

Nope, flux capacitor. That's neither an engine nor a motor.

Rocky_H | 29/06/2017

It's good when you can get the dilithium crystals on sale.