Forums

Wireless phone charging

Wireless phone charging

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before... will be a wireless phone charging feature with the 3?

Now we know the key will be the phone it should be almost a must (i think wires will ruin the minimalistic dash).

Cheers,

Electric, Yikes!

gatorj31 | 02/08/2017

I'm pretty sure wireless phone charging is included with the premium package

gatorj31 | 02/08/2017

To be clear, I saw in one of the YouTube videos that it had wireless in the premium only. But it isn't very clear on the premium listings... it just calls it phone docking

hoffmannjames | 02/08/2017

I don't think there is wireless charging as it is commonly defined. You can't just lay your phone flat in the center console where induction coils in the console charge your phone. But there is a docking station where all the wires are hidden. You just plug your phone in the docking station to charge. There are no wires to mess with,

JAD | 02/08/2017

They offer 3 styles of wires that are hidden behind the center console for charging phone, not wireless, but you can buy the connectors for your phone for $14 and change them if your phone changes.

sosmerc | 02/08/2017

Gosh, even my 2017 Volt has wireless charging that works great on my S7. I sure hope the 3 has at least one location for QI phone charging.

dave.m.mcdonough | 02/08/2017

Now if only apple would get on board the wireless charging train. Using aftermarket coils has been a headache, probably will switch phones over this. Tired of them waging wars with 3rd party accessories..

JAD | 02/08/2017

sosmerc, you are very lucky, as the S7 is one of the very few phones that can use that feature. 90%+ of people can't.

dave.m.mcdonough | August 2, 2017
Now if only apple would get on board the wireless charging train. Using aftermarket coils has been a headache, probably will switch phones over this. Tired of them waging wars with 3rd party accessories..
---

Get a Galaxy phone. They are amazing. I love my wireless charging.

zeagus | 02/08/2017

Has Samsung trimmed their bloated UI and stopped cheating in benchmarks? /duck Maybe Tesla can teach them how to make non-exploding batteries :)

@zeagus I have the new Galaxy S8. The UI is great and the battery life is amazing.

zeagus | 02/08/2017

Good, maybe they've learned their lesson :)

well, exploding batteries will make any company learn quickly. LOL

zeagus | 02/08/2017

LOL - point!

dvanlier | 02/08/2017

The motortrend review says induction charging comes with the premium package but the option list doesn't mention that , so I'm not sure which one to believe.

jefjes | 02/08/2017

The "Now You Know" team event ride asked the question and was told it has wireless charging in the premium package. They said you just lay your phone on the console to charge it and Jesse was super excited over the idea plus the location to do so.

eeb9 | 02/08/2017

The key point is having a phone that supports inductive charging. The iPhone does not - at least for the moment

sosmerc | 02/08/2017

Some new Volt owners claim that the QI charging doesn't work with their phone. It does work fine with my S7, but I should add that I did have to come up with a simple "fix" to insure that it would work. The phone needs to rest up close and tight against the charging surface....so I had to fashion a small piece of foam to hold my phone in place. Simple solution and it works fine.....but Chevy should have come up with a better location and method of resting the phone against the charging pad. As much as people now depend on their phones and keeping them charged, I think it should be standard for all cars to offer QI charging. Just as most cars now offer USB for various purposes.

Electric Yikes | 02/08/2017

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks jefjes for your comment. If confirmed, that will make it super smooth.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure that by the time I'll get mine (SH 2018) Apple will have the wireless charge in their product line.

Rutrow | 03/08/2017

It isn't wireless charging, it's a wired docking port for phone charging. Here's the owners manual description for how to install your charger plug in the console.

https://twitter com/Model3Owners/status/892525757938978816