Forums

Real world range - New Owners BE PREPARED.

Real world range - New Owners BE PREPARED.

Glad to see Elon release the actual kWh figures for the batteries. These are the exact figures I estimated on another thread a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not saying this to rag on Tesla, just pointing it out from experience so new buyers are not disappointed.

Those buying a 220 mile range car that are new to EV's and expect it to get 220 miles all the time will be rudely awaken. 175 miles will likely be your realistic figure to expect. 310 mile cars will likely be closer to 250-260. Rag on me all you want for saying this, just trying to prevent some first time Tesla buyers from being very disappointed in their first experience with Tesla or an EV. Again, this is NORMAL driving. You can always drive them like a granny and get closer to rated range when necessary, but who wants to do that all the time?

This is pretty much normal for all EV's, not just Tesla. Although I will say, Chevy, with the Volt at least, and from reports on the Bolt too, is one of the rare exceptions in that those cars come very close to rated range in normal driving circumstances.

Please believe me when I say, no way anyone is getting 4.1 or 4.3 miles per kWh in "NORMAL" driving circumstances. I've driven several electric cars and not one of them, driving completely normal, but not hypermiling, has gotten 4 miles per kWh. This means ROUND TRIP from point A back to point A, not a one way downhill trip! 3.5 miles per kWh is likely realistic for "NORMAL" driving. Baby footing my Model S gets around 3.3 miles per kWh. Normal driving and I'm closer to 3 miles per. And I live in near perfect weather California. Live in a colder environment, results will be worse. A hotter environment where you need AC, results will be worse.

Want to argue with my numbers, don't bother. Tesla has already confirmed it. 220 miles for 50 kWh. 310 miles for 75 kWh. That's 90 miles more by adding 25 kWh, that calculates to 3.6 miles of RATED range difference per Tesla's own calculations. Will likely be less in real world.

For those buying a Tesla or any EV for the first time, so you're not disappointed and want to be able to drive the car as you do any other car with your normal luxuries (Heat & AC), I would use 3.0 miles per kWh as your rule of thumb. You "should" be able to realistically meet this under most circumstances. Of course hot footing it or extreme weather will result in less.

I don't know what Tesla's buffer is for sure on the Model 3. But if you truly get 50 kWh of "usable" battery, then 150 miles of range will be a breeze that you won't likely ever have to experience range anxiety. 225 miles for the 75 kWh battery. This would apply to highway/freeway driving at a typical 5-10 MPH over the speed limit. So plan your Supercharging accordingly. Remember, headwinds on the highway will affect range too. I commonly charge to 100% at Needles and at 75 MPH (70 speed limit), have run into headwinds and arrived in Barstow with less than 10 miles of range remaining, receiving a "slow down to reach your destination" warning the entire way. Not fun.

This is also taking into account battery degradation. If the Model 3 is like the Model S, the "rated" range will be notably less after just a few weeks. As many have stated, range drops quickly from brand new by about 6-10 miles within just a few weeks. The degradation then stabilizes with only small declines over the remaining life. So this is also taking into account that the cars will likely charge at 210 and 300 miles after a month or two. They should stay close to those figures after that. Just another thing to keep in mind. And don't waste your time calling Tesla saying there's something wrong with your car after a month when it will no longer charge to the originally "rated" range. It's completely normal.

Amazing cars, you'll love it if you're fully informed and prepared. Just trying to make sure the inexperienced have some additional knowledge to consider. The numbers are not scientific and again, if you slow down and drive carefully, your figures will be higher. But not everyone coming from an ICE will want to change their driving habits. If you make the above work for you, a Tesla (anyone of them) will be the last car manufacturer you buy from. I still couldn't imagine driving anything else!

EDIT - 12/27/2017. Posts like this...... https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/give-me-300-miles-true-range-and-o... are exactly why I posted this originally several months ago. Hope it helps everyone understand EV's a little better.

swingshiftworker | 09/08/2017

I consistently get 200 miles of range (combined city and hwy) in my Bolt but I drive it on the fwy like I stole it. Overall my ave m/kwh is around 3.3. Battery size is 60kwh supposedly w/about an additional 15% headroom. 3.3x60-198; right around 200. This hasn't changed since I got the car in Feb 2017.

Others on the Bolt forum claim they get more than 250 miles per charge.. All depends on how you drive it. Assume the same will apply to the Model 3.

Effective range for me before recharging is around 150-160 miles; don't like going below 40 miles of remaining range b4 recharging. If I drive 70-75 miles (or 1/2 my effective range) to a destination one-way, I generally will top off with a 30 min DCFC charge, for peace of mind, b4 heading home even though I should have more than enough power to make it back w/o doing that.

If I don't want to bother worrying about it at all, I just drive one of my other ICE vehicles.

seilerbird | 09/08/2017

"You can always drive them like a granny and get closer to rated range when necessary, but who wants to do that all the time?"

I do, I do.

Nexxus | 09/08/2017

@2015P90DL,

I've consistently gotten 223Kwh/mile this summer in our 2016 75D and overall averaging 263Kwh/mile for the life of the car (17000 miles). But then again I drive the speed limits around northern Virginia with a mix of expressway and secondary road traveling.

Carl Thompson | 09/08/2017

I agree with most of what you say but I'll point out that not all electric cars are the same; some are more efficient than others. For example, it's not that rare for me to achieve 4.0-4.2 mi/kWh in my i3 on my 60 mile round trip (averaging 55 to 65 MPH on freeway without heater). In that car it's actually pretty tough for me to get under 3.5 without the heater on even if I go 75+. Normal is probably about 3.8. I've gotten as low as 2.9 once or twice by driving like a maniac with the heater on high but I have to really work to do it. So my current car is more efficient than what Model S and X owner's report and the Model 3 should be slightly more efficient even than that. So I don't think it will be quite as dire as you think.

I do agree that different manufacturers are different. GM must put a lot of "extra" battery in their cars because when I had a Volt I almost always got about 15%-20% _above_ the rated range.

Carl

Bighorn | 09/08/2017

Couple things.
My degradation in an 85 over 143k miles has been slow and linear. I saw no quick drop off at the outset. Remained at 265 for about a year. A 90 may be an exception with the newer silicon anode. Unconfirmed rumor that the Model 3 may have a totally different type of motor with rare earth magnet that may prove more efficient.

2015P90DI | 09/08/2017

@CarlThompson, question, a friend has the BMW i3 and his experience seems to be similar to my prior Volt in that, almost like a gas tank staying on full for quite some time, then dropping quickly once it reached 3/4 full or 1/2 full, the Volt did the same thing. I regularly got 40 miles of range from my Volt that was rated for 38 miles, but always seemed to be heavy on top. Meaning my range would drop to 30 after having driven 15 miles, seeming like I was being very efficient. Then the second 15 miles of driving would use up 20 miles of range. Like the gas gauge, the batter meter stayed on the full side longer than actual half of my driving. My friend said his BMW does something similar. Curious if yours does as well? My Tesla is pretty consistent start to finish in the rate the range declines. Unfortunately I didn't have a meter to determine how many kWh actually took if I charged after 15 miles in the Volt versus if that number was actually double if I drove 30 miles. Just wondering if its like the gas gauge in cars and is just given a false appearing first half that catches up on the downside?

@Bigborn. Not sure what year your car is. I heard it was a problem with all 2012 models and early 2013 models before the battery chemistry changed with the new batter providing more reliable figures. Then got the 90 and it was reminiscent of the original 85 kWh battery technology..Haven't seen enough people comment on the 100 kWh cars yet to see how much they loose in the first few weeks.

point is, there are a lot of variables to consider, think low and be pleasantly surprised to outperform your expectations. and you'll find yourself quite happy.

eeb9 | 09/08/2017

Normal freeway speeds in Atlanta are 80+, with AC going full blast. I don't expect much over 200 miles from the Long-range Model 3 in that sort of regime.

Outside of town, the average speed gets closer to 90. It's a pretty consistent 20-25 over the posted limit. Drive slower than that and you sort of feel like an obstruction, with people passing you on both sides and cursing...

Bighorn | 09/08/2017

I have a July 2013 B battery. The only difference I've heard vs the original A battery is that they can supercharge faster. No issues with premature degradation of which I am aware.

hoffmannjames | 09/08/2017

I've heard that battery degradation in a Tesla is actually pretty minimal. It won't affect range that much.

What new owners really need to know is that speed is a big factor in range. The 220 miles range on the standard Model 3 is an average of city and highway driving under average conditions (flat road, outside temp around 70 degrees etc). So if you are driving slower, say 40 mph, you will probably get more than 220 miles. If you drive faster say 75 or 80 mph on the highway, you will get much less than 220 miles. Of course there are other factors that also affect range, but speed is a big one.

bp | 09/08/2017

Based on 5 years of combined experience with our two Tesla Model S cars, I agree that the "expected" range will be different than the "rated" range.

Typically you will want to keep the battery charge within the 10-90% range (unless you have a software limited battery pack, when you can go to 100%, since the battery has extra unlocked capacity). So this reduces the expected range by 80% (176 for the 220 pack and 248 for the 310 pack).

Depending upon driving conditions (stop-and-go, heavy traffic, elevation changes, temperature, wind, average speed, ...), you can lose another 10-30% compared to rated range. Our S P85 would typically lose 30% on most road trips while our S 100D does better and can be closer to 10% (possibly due to the dual motor). Since the initial Model 3's will be RWD, let's assume a 15% degradation due to driving conditions - reducing the expected range to (150 miles or 210 miles).

And as the car ages (mostly due to recharge cycles), there will be some degradation in capacity. With over 85K miles on our P85, we've seen about a 5% loss (which is much better than we had expected). For a high mileage Model 3, the expected range could drop another 5% (142 or 200).

The above numbers assume you are driving without changing behavior - typically driving 5-7 above the posted speed limit or taking steps to stretch range (like riding behind large trucks to reduce wind drag).

You can do better than these numbers - and some drivers have indicated they are averaging better than this.

I'll admit to having "range anxiety" when our S P85 arrived in early 2013. But at that time, there weren't any superchargers - and taking a road trip was challenging.

With the expanding supercharger network - you only need enough charge to get to the first supercharger - and then on a longer trip to make it between chargers. The charging network is usable for Model S with the 60 battery packs (similar in range to the M3-220), though it will take longer to charge with the smaller battery packs than the larger packs because charging slows down considerably above 80%.

And, for most drivers, 100-150 miles of range is all that's needed for daily driving. Like the S 60's, the M3-220 should be enough battery for most people.

Though if you're planning to take a road trip - the larger battery pack may reduce the number of supercharger stops (or eliminate them on shorter trips) - and charging is faster. Which is why we're planning to hoping to get an M3-310 to replace our S P85 in a few months.

Shock | 09/08/2017

The worst range will come for those in the north who are turning the heat on and sitting in slow traffic. In truly bad conditions (virtual grid lock plus high heat), you could be closer to 2 miles per kwh.

I got rid of my Leaf because it sucked too much in the winter. I remember thinking a car with twice its range would be totally fine for me, even handling really awful snow storms. The model 3 base model will have that, so...I should be good.

I think OP's post is on point, though. We shouldn't assume the 220 necessarily. If you live in san diego where it's temperate and the AC isn't on bust, or Seattle, you may get that or better. If you are blasting AC at full bore all the time or regularly sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at 0 F you will not see 220.

ICE based cars also suffer range loss in some of these conditions, but not as severe.

Alvin27 | 09/08/2017

I would like to hear from current Model S owners in South Florida where the summer temperatures reach 90 degrees and higher on a regular basis. What is real world mileage on the highways.

TheOx | 09/08/2017

4.3 mi/kWh average after 1½ years and 12,000 miles in an i3 (over a lot of round trips).

achim.boll | 09/08/2017

@ 2015P90DI: I don´t know in Witch "Real" World you life in but i do round about 6,5 (Highway) to 7,5(City) km / KWh (4 to 4.6 Miles / KWh) with my C-Zero (drag coefficient 0.35) so i think the Model 3 (drag coefficient 0.21) would do at least the same.
But the best idea is to make a Testdriver an see by you self how far you can go ;-)

Alvin27 | 09/08/2017

Would current Tesla owners say the Model S mileage calculator on the Tesla site is fairly accurate?
If it is accurate hot weather may produce better mileage.

PhillyGal | 09/08/2017

If you take delivery when it's cold where you live, I agree that you might be in for a bit of a surprise but there are some factors within your control to save:
Use seat heaters more than cabin heat
Set your charge to be done just before you leave home
Don't pay attention to efficiency on short trips - it's worse before the battery has warmed up.

KP in NPT | 09/08/2017

It's true that efficiency drops in cold weather, and with speed. The great thing about Tesla's big batteries (even the short range versions) is it's still more than enough, even on long trips. :)

eeb9 | 09/08/2017

It's the side trips that get ya, not the long rides on the Interstate. My favorite drives in New Mexico and Arizona don't even have PlugShare sites, so I'll be relying on the generosity of business owners to let me plug into their 115v outlets while I shop or eat at their establishments. Those are the sorts of things that make me a tad nervous, even with the long range battery.

Case in point is the drive from Soccoro, NM (where an SC station is planned but not yet built) to the SC in Gallup or the (proposed but not yet built) SC in Grants. That's 200-plus miles with lots of elevation changes, detours and stops along the way for scenery, chili verde, staring dumb-struck at the sunset and suchlike things... :-)

Add in a few side roads (to visit Zuni or El Morro or Acoma, for instance) and you're getting well into the 250-mile range, which is pushing things for even the long range battery.

Forget it with the 220-mile car.

eeb9 | 09/08/2017

(I left out that the route goes through Quemado on old US 60, not on the Interstate)

lilbean | 09/08/2017

Good information about expected range when driving. I will say, however, that my range hasn't droppped in 17 months of ownership of my Model X.

djharrington | 09/08/2017

Except for in the Winter when I have to crank the heater, I regularly get 5mi/kWh in the Ford Focus and 3.3mi/kWh in the S. Hypermiling, I've gotten 6mi/kWh and 4mi/kWh, respectively. These are round trips from my house where the destinations are always ~1000ft below my house. If I had flat routes, the numbers would be even better. The Ford weighs about the same as the Model 3, and is certainly less aero. It will be fun to see what numbers can be generated with the 3.

All that said, I agree that most people will take time to adjust to proper expectations given their driving style ... and some people will never get it.

CraigW | 09/08/2017

eeb9 +1 on the small side trips.

I consistently get 3.2-3.3 and I live on a hill in Los Angeles. City trips are normally less efficient than long-range driving. I set my car at 75 on the road because I have found 80 uses too much electricity. If the traffic slows to 65 my mileage gets better, but not enough to make a lot of difference to me.

One key thing 'newbies' always miss it that it is much easier to 'game the system' in an EV - i.e. you can do much better or much worse based on your driving habits. Since we all like to 'beat the odds', this actually results in people developing safer driving habits to take advantage of EV efficiencies and regen braking. My one vice is I still like to be first off the line at the light, but it is only to about 25-30 mph, then I ease up.

Jcollins | 09/08/2017

My typical experience with my 2015 85D is such that I've stopped worrying about range. Early on had to make the drive from Atlanta to Charlotte with a full charge in Atlanta and finished in Charlotte with 13 miles range left (charlotte is roughly 250 miles form Atlanta's supercharger down town. Usually when i program in a route the estimate for usage is greater than I actually use (and no, I'm not driving 55 mph in a 70 mph zone-more like 75.) To me, charging anxiety is a thing of the past. Chargepoint is becoming a fairly ubiquitous backup as well (parked in Atlanta while on a 10 day cruise and charged for free in a parking lot near the airport- though had to call them from Italy to reset the charger so it would continue charging.) I'm getting on the list for a model 3 for my wife since her initial concerns about range has gone away as well.

@2015P90DI

No, my experience in the Volt wasn't due to improper estimates by the software. My Volt was an older one with only 35 miles of rated range. My commute is 60 miles round trip so I was fully charging and fully discharging the battery every day. However I normally got around 41-42 miles out of the battery and a few times in perfect conditions (very heavy traffic both ways) I got over 50 miles.

Carl

ron369 | 09/08/2017

There are a lot of things that affect efficiency, but weight is a big one. If the engines on the Model S and Model 3 have about the same efficiency and the cars have the same aerodynamics, I would expect the Model 3 to get about 30% better mileage. A Model 3 weight 3500 lbs and a Model S weighs about 4500 lbs. If you get 3.3 kwh / mile on your Model S, I would expect a Model 3 to get close to 4.3.

eandmjep | 09/08/2017

As far as freeway speeds and driving the "Actual limits" Does not make you a granny driver and any one getting upset is just uptight. I have been on lots of trips lately and Semi's (you know the largest vehicles on the road) tend to only travel between 65 and 70. So your only as slow as the largest objects on the road, oh and 20-25 over the limit is insane. A lot of good comments in here from Current EV owners. I am pretty sure my M3 will do just fine on range.

Rocky_H | 09/08/2017

I do kind of ballpark it that rated miles are a little high, like if it shows 200, I figure it's about 180 to 190 real miles. My lifetime average for 40K miles is about 308/309 wh/mile. I live in a desert, where we have heavy heating and cooling from winters below 0 and summers over 100. I do generally tell people 3 miles per kwh for mental math of electricity usage for annual driving and such.

andy.connor.e | 09/08/2017

i think we all get it but just to clarify, @ron369 meant 3.3 mile / kwh.

For sure the 3 will be considerably more efficient and I'd be shocked if 4.0 mi/kWh were not readily achievable with gentle real-world driving.

So will we as planet-loving drivers of the Model 3 be justified in looking down our noses at drivers of electricity-guzzling Model S and Model X EVs? ;-)

Carl

Ehninger1212 | 09/08/2017

I think I'll be ok.

carlk | 09/08/2017

Sounds like op is trying to help sell the $9K upgrade although I kind of think it's not necessary for most people. I have a 265 range S and 257 range X with combined 5+ years ownership experience I have never had these batteries getting down to 30 miles and only a couple times to below 50. With the nav that can give you very accurate estimates and direct you to a supercharger if needed I ever had range anxiety either. The only advantage of the bigger battery is you can make a few less SC stops at when taking long trips. You need to take a lot of long trips to recover that cost though.

carlk | 09/08/2017

BTW the X may not even have 257 miles range. I have 22s on them and Tesla said those performance tires will reduce range by 10~15%.

2015P90DI | 09/08/2017

Someone earlier mentioned he/she exceeded range expectations in his/her Bolt. Apparently didn't read through my notes :-), as I did specifically state GM was the one exception to the rule, noting that GM has provided range estimates that are easily achievable in normal driving. The rest, including Tesla, go for the "marketing" range estimates that they can get away with based on EPA testing. Fine for comparing to other cars, but not so great for new EV owners that might expect to achieve those results in all conditions.

Others have mentioned doing better in a BMW i3. Keep in mind that car is about 800 lighter and rides on bicycle tires. It should perform better in terms of miles per kWh.

The point the post was not to convince anyone to go a certain direction. Just trying to point out some things I learned myself and many others have as well through EV ownership to hopefully better prepare them for the experience and avoid any disappointment. Many give up on EV's or won't even think of trying them because they're not fully informed.

In my Volt, I loved playing the "game" and actually achieved 5 miles per kWh most of the time, easily getting 50+ miiles per charge on 10.6 usable kWh. Then after a while I realized how much time I was wasting driving so damn slow!!! LOL. Driving style makes a big difference. Many, if not most, people joining the EV family will not want to alter how they drive.

Again, amazing cars. Happy to see the good feedback from so many. Driving an EV can be an adjustment, even considered a "lifestyle" by some, mostly as it relates to travelling long distances. But if you keep your expectations in check and know the realities, you won't be disappointed with an unexpected learning curve. And like me, after adapting to an EV, you'll almost certainly never want to drive an ICE again.

jsanford | 09/08/2017

My 22 mile one-way urban commute takes ninety minutes to two hours in the winter. Does that his constitute "grandma driving?"

bljxn | 09/08/2017

As a former leaf driver, I will state it never got near the range advertised. As a southern CA trained driver, posted speed limits are the minimum! It also didn't help when I had to replace the tires at 10k miles and put on a "better" tire. I was driving about 30 miles round trip on my commute. If I was lucky I could get two days between charges... I have no delusion that the real numbers the M3 gives will be less than what is advertised. Of course my truck never got close to its mileage nor did my Subaru... if I get 190, great.

tstolz | 09/08/2017

I get EPA all the time in the summer driving 60 mph and after 75,000 miles in an S85D have seen less than 2.5% depredation.

That said I agree with the OP that you should consider 90% your daily charge, temperature, how you drive, your buffer, and charging options. I live in Alberta, Canada and consider the 220 pack reliable for 120 miles without range worries driving hard and/or winter and the 310 pack solid for 200 miles. Driving conservative in the summer I can often exceed EPA.

topher | 10/08/2017

"I have no delusion that the real numbers the M3 gives will be less than what is advertised. Of course my truck never got close to its mileage nor did my Subaru... if I get 190, great."

The one thing all your under-performing cars have in common is you...

Seriously though, EPA says YMMV for a reason, how, when, and where you drive affects what you get. There is no 'real' numbers.

Thank you kindly.

AlMc | 10/08/2017

Good thread: I will add one comment on conserving rated miles in cold climates. With your car plugged in at home, turn on the heater about 10-15 minutes before you get into the car. Heat the cabin from the wall outlet and spare the battery. In addition, warming the battery this way will improve winter/cold weather mileage.

Bluesday Afternoon | 10/08/2017

Check out the info provided by Tesla owners with regard to both range ad charging:

https://teslatap.com/articles/owners+manual+companion#charging

There is a thread to help Model 3 reservation holders and others craving info about owning a Tesla.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/ive-reserved-model-3-and-have-ques...

I know, shameful promotion!

bljxn | 10/08/2017

@topher- yes, you repeated the point of the post I made. Driving style is one of the key factors with any vehicle performance.

Carl Thompson | 10/08/2017

I'll point out what should be obvious: pre-heating your car while it is plugged in does _not_ improve energy efficiency. It does improve range, however. It doesn't improve energy efficiency because you are still using energy to heat the battery but it just comes from your wall socket directly and bypasses the intermediary of your battery. Because preheating means you are warming / maintaining warmth of your battery when you're not actually driving your car that means pre-heating actually _lowers_ your energy efficiency. In other words, you'll use _more_ electricity total (and more money) to go the same distance if you pre-heat (but less of it will come from your battery).

There are still good reasons to pre-heat but saving energy or money isn't among them. It's still useful, though, if you really need every last mile of range for your trip. Or if you want to melt snow or ice from your car the easy way. Or if you simply don't like getting in to a cold car!

Carl

AlMc | 10/08/2017

Carl T: Correct you 'conserve' rated miles

jrichey | 10/08/2017

@2015P90DI - Good thread here to start and share, but I disagree with your estimates you are throwing around. Maybe that's your own experience but it's not close to mine. I have a MX 75D. Had it for 1 year, has 23k miles on it. I live in Florida, have family of 5, and drive over the speed limit a bit. So I am not trying to squeeze out all the miles I can with my car, rather just continue to drive like I did when I had an ICE SUV. I pretty consistently average about 88% of the stated range in the car. I would expect the M3 to have a bit better number than that but time will tell. So if you use my 88% the standard would get around 193 miles and the long range around 272.

Also, my drop in battery capacity has been very small in the past year. My 90% was around 214 when I got the MX and today its 213. My 100% was 237 ish, now it's 234. I am very pleased with those numbers as I expected to lose maybe 2-3 miles more than I did.

Anyway wanted to share my MX experience here in Florida after 1 year of ownership, in hopes these data points help others as they try to understand what to expect with the M3.

deemo | 11/08/2017

In real world driving, I get about 3.6 Mi/KwHr indicated with a 2015 LEAF - about 80% of rated range. I get about 285 W/Mi indicated (3.5 Mi/KwHr) with 2016 S 75D which is about the rated range as long as I don't do too many jack rabbit starts - really hard not to though, too much fun. The Tesla has more space and way more zip but gets almost same mileage. I would hope Model 3 will get close to rated range.

2015P90DI | 11/08/2017

@jrichey, you like me and many others are fortunate to live in wonderful weather environments. California, Florida, other southern states that have relatively mild winters are the best places for EV's as it relates to range. 70 degree plus weather is when EV's perform their best. If you look at Tesla's range estimator for the Model S, even higher temperatures are better for range, however that usually gets offset as most people will use AC when it gets that warm.

For those that live in environments where the weather cools off below 60 degrees, they're likely not going to get 88% of rated range. Also, depending on what part of Florida you're in, I think a lot of it is pretty flat?? That will impact range as well. Again, will be different for everyone, but sounds like you are in mostly ideal EV conditions and even at that, you're only getting 88%. And please note, this is not an argument against your comments. Just simply commenting on conditions that everyone may not have the benefit of. And again, the post was simply to raise awareness so that new buyers will get the most enjoyment out of their new Tesla purchase rather than being disappointed because their cars don't get the estimated range stated. Believe me, there are a lot of people that if you tell them the range is 220 miles, they damn well expect to get 220 miles no matter what!! LOL

jordanrichard | 11/08/2017

2015P90DL +1. If you live in the Northern part of the country where in the winter temps drop below/well below freezing, you can expect about a 30% drop in range. Now that may sound concerning, but with the ever increasing density of superchargers, a road trip in the dead of winter is still not an issue.

When I took delivery of my MS85 in Mar. 2014, here in New England there were only 3 supercharger sites and now just in CT there are 6 with the 7th one under construction.

bp | 11/08/2017

We've had our S 100D since March and have already put on 6K miles with a combination of urban and highway travel.

The car has a rated range of 335 and the 90% charge is typically showing around 301 miles.

In the Texas heat, we're averaging 307 Wh/mile. Assuming the battery pack actually has 100Kwh of power, that would put our actual range at 326 miles, or 97% of the rated range.

Which is surprisingly good.

If the Model 3 gets similar results - then we'd expect to get 213 miles (at 100%) with smaller battery pack and 300 with the larger battery pack.

Though... The Model S numbers are using dual motors - and rear wheel drive may have different results.

jrichey | 11/08/2017

@2015P90DI Great points. Your right I wasn't thinking about the folks in the cold north. :). I'm in central Florida so relatively flat for sure. And your right that there will be people that complain about not getting EPA numbers no matter what. Heck they do it today with ICE cars so will be no different here. Thanks for the info sharing.

Carl Thompson | 11/08/2017

OK, I'll say it. Real world range for the base Model 3 factoring in the charge-just-to-90-percent recommendation may 30 or more miles less than the Chevy Bolt which people here say gets pretty close to its rated range. I'll stick with the long range Model 3 because it would bother me to think some Bolt driver could go farther!

Carl

Ehninger1212 | 11/08/2017

Unless someone hands me $9000 in the next couple months I'll be getting the SR Model 3. Even with all this talk of lower range and stuff, I can still make it between superchargers on road trips. That's what counts in my opinion.

Pages