Forums

If you haven't been asked to configure you won't get a Model 3 this year

If you haven't been asked to configure you won't get a Model 3 this year

I was told by a Tesla salesman that he was 100% certain that if someone hasn't already been invited to configure, there was no way he could receive his Model 3 this year.

He said most likely late January or February is most likely for people who stood in line, assuming you want the first production configuration.

Frank99 | 11/11/2017

As they say, opinions are like anal spincters, everyone has one.
And whatever the"Tesla Salesman" told you is just am opinion; its been proven over and over that they have no more knowledge about future events than you or I.

bayareakid2008 | 11/11/2017

I agree. Nobody has been invited to configure yet = nobody getting their car before 2018. Pretty disappointing.

Yodrak. | 11/11/2017

I also agree with what the OP was told. Sounds like the Tesla rep was being 'straight' with the OP.

burdogg | 11/11/2017

Have any of you dealt with a Tesla Salesperson? I am being serious. While the salesperson "may" be right, if you have not had the fun of dealing with them then you are clueless. Tesla does NOT give the salespeople any advance info. Here is an example - when they announced Enhanced Autopilot Oct 2016 - the Salespeople heard it as soon as it was announced. There was no heads up, by the way, so you know. Nope, they were as in the dark as the customer until it was announced. I can go on with more if you would like.

There are many examples of Salespeople giving their opinion thinking they know, but in reality have been proven to be completely false, much to the disappointment and dissatisfaction of the customers. Many salespeople can't seem to say the simple words - I don't know. They feel it is bad to say such words, but it is the best words they should and can give. Instead, they want to look knowledgeable and so they give their educated guesses.

But hey, you all can go ahead and believe what you will - it may be correct, it may not - but remember, this is a persons opinion with the exact same of information and knowledge as you or I - so why give it any more credence than the estimate time frame given?

dortor | 11/11/2017

I'm thinking that if Tesla had "overcome" their recent delivery short falls - they might want to tell someone about it via press release - that fact that we have radio silence means things are not going well...

Feb/March is my _GUESS_ - after announcing the Model X in Sept. of 2015, and running in to similar production ramp problems - it wasn't really until March of '16 that deliveries on a weekly basis started…

I'll be surprised if any significant (>250) units are delivered before the end of the year - but I don't have any actual knowledge, but have been a long time owner and observer - this ramp is going just like the S & X ramp - which took them about 6 months from "announcement" until deliveries really started with any reliability.

Yodrak. | 11/11/2017

"I'll be surprised if any significant (>250) units are delivered before the end of the year "

Me too. But that's ~250 cars that will be delivered, and ~250 people (or more) who have been invited to configure.

My opinion is the same as that of the OP's salesman - if you have not yet been invited to configure by now, you won't get you car by the end of the year.

KP in NPT | 11/11/2017

No one knows anything unless it's been officially announced by Tesla.

weluvm3 | 11/11/2017

I agree that he may not have much inside information. However, he told me that he was basing his estimate on the fact (according to him) that Model S's ordered after next week would not be delivered until the end of the year. And that only certain Model S configurations could still be received before 2018.

He also said something which I found very interesting (if true): apparently, he had personal knowledge that *some* non-employees had already received their invitation to configure, and that they were scheduled to receive their cars by the end of October or November, but the delivery dates got pushed back.

Now, here is where things get a little bit hazy, because I'm wondering if he was confusing the fact that some folks *did* have estimated delivery ranges starting in October or November (mine did), and this got pushed back last week. I'd like to think that a Tesla Salesman (by which I mean someone working in one of the Tesla stores) would know the difference between an actual offer to configure versus an estimated delivery date.

If he did, and what he was saying was accurate, that would be very interesting: certainly, nobody has reported having received an invitation, let alone having their delivery date being pushed back after having received one. Which makes me somewhat doubt what he told me. And, yes, I asked him several times in various ways to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding him, and he really did seem to think that some people had already received an invite to configure, and had their dates pushed.

Yodrak. | 11/11/2017

"No one knows anything unless it's been officially announced by Tesla."

No one knows anything until it actually happens, whether or not it's been officially announced by Tesla.

burdogg | 11/11/2017

I wouldn't go off production times for Model S or X - they are completely different vehicles to make - remember they made the 3 to be simpler to be able to mass produce them at faster. So again, he might be right, but I wouldn't go off it if he is just using Model S and X cut off dates :)

ReD eXiLe ms us | 11/11/2017

One more for the [IGNORE] pile.

Haggy | 11/11/2017

If this employee is certain, then he should tell his management to revise my delivery estimate. Or maybe the corporate headquarters knows more than he does.

Tesla needs to know what color to paint my car and what wheels to put on it. That won't require much lead time.

Syruspicarus2016 | 11/11/2017

Delenga Cartago.

Numbers dont lie:
It sounds like at least first 10K cars are given priority for employees. That means we would need to hear news that production line is running at 1000/week for about 2 months in order to clear that first employee order. Then once we hear news that the production line reached 5000/week, it about 4 to 6 weeks the camp out people in the store would get their car. Prediction:Feb - May 2018.

teslamodelx | 12/11/2017

Since their 30 M3s watch over, sorry I meant to say “hand over” event, they managed to deliver less than than 500 of them! there is still plenty of Tesla & Space X employees waiting in line to get theirs before any of us! My guess is that Tesla will send their configurations to the public late or end of December just to be in line with 2017 ordering promise and start the deliveries maybe late February but definetly before end of March. Remember we are all on Tesla time here so be very patient.

KP in NPT | 12/11/2017

Numbers don't lie - but then you'd need actual numbers and not speculation to begin your calculations in order for them to be accurate.

noleaf4me | 12/11/2017

I'm not sure when the "drop dead" date is for a delivery in 2017 -- but I agree - it is sometime between now and Thanksgiving week.

Unless Tesla really intends to sell "stock" Model 3's (which they may as the only option is color and wheels...) then sadly the Hat thread may leak into 2018.

Shock | 12/11/2017

"No one knows anything unless it's been officially announced by Tesla."

Not quite. I knew before their mea culpa recently that their estimates on production were nonsense.

No more than a few token recipients of the general public at the most will be getting a model 3 this year. they are still barely making the cars.

KP in NPT | 12/11/2017

Speculation is not fact. A broken clock is correct twice a day. There is a difference between guessing right, speculating, opining, and an official announcement.

this salesperson is offering his guess just as any of us here - he knows no more than we do. That is the point.

weluvm3 | 12/11/2017

I agree that Tesla management probably knows more than they are telling either the public or their salesforce.

On the other hand, it was news to me that some people had already gotten an invite to configure. And that their dates had gotten pushed back. Having slept on this, it is likely that the salesperson was telling the truth, and in a position to know because he might have been approached by happy reservation holders after getting their emails, some of whom might have previously bought an S or X from him. Or, he might also personally know some Tesla employees who got invited to configure: close relations with employees might be what inspired him to work there.

It is certainly more likely that a Tesla salesperson would have the opportunity to meet many more Tesla customers and employees than most people, so I believe he might actually have more information than most. If even existing invitation holders are getting indeterminately delayed, it does make it somewhat unlikely that people who haven’t even heard from Tesla yet are getting their cars before the end of the year. It also kind of suggests that something unexpected happened fairly recently, otherwise they wouldn’t have sent out invitations only to delay delivery.

mos6507 | 12/11/2017

"No one knows anything until it actually happens, whether or not it's been officially announced by Tesla."

Bingo. The level of corporate to consumer trust has been fraying of late.

Madatgascar | 12/11/2017

Tesla won’t want another 250 unit quarter. They will probably close the bottlenecks as much as possible and say “close enough” in early December, and build as many as they can, hand welding battery packs if necessary. People will be happy to configure in a rush and take delivery by Dec. 31. I had Model S delivered between Christmas and New Year twice, in 2012 and 2014. 2012 was the least reliable car I ever owned, but 2014 was the most reliable. If this is anything like 2012 for the Model S, you don’t necessarily want one of these cars. My plan is to configure ASAP but with a white interior or something that pushes it a little past the holiday frenzy.

Loc_Nguyen | 12/11/2017

They probably want to iron out all automation processes first. Their goal isn’t producing the most M3. Their goal is to get the processes as automated as possible to insure their production capabilities keep increasing and not decreasing due to human errors.

It’s nerve wrecking to see how quite Tesla is about their progress. On one hand they may have serverely underestimated the difficulties of automating mass production of the M3. On the other hand, they could be making break throughs that could disrupt auto and robotics industries.

LostInTx | 12/11/2017

I test drove a Model S yesterday and of course was very impressed. But while walking to the garage with two saleswomen, I asked a question to which I expected a "no". I asked "if I give you my reservation number, can you tell me where I am, numerically, in the queue?". Instead of a straight out "no", I got a few mumbled words between the two, followed by a "uh, we, uh, on the sales side, can't provide information on that". Not that they don't know but rather they can't give me information which, based on body language, I think they can access.

So if someone else goes to a Tesla shop and asks a similar question, get a feel if they don't know vs they can't say.

bodenalan | 12/11/2017

of course the tesla salesperson could also be trying to push model S cars, that would be delivered by year end just to make their numbers. The sales people have no targets for the Model 3 sales.

that said there is probably a cut off date coming up for end of year deliveries...that is common sense. but considering the limited options Model 3's may have a shorter window after ordering.

bayareakid2008 | 12/11/2017

If non-employees had been invited to configure, it would be all over the internet. Of course nobody's been invited. They still have thousands of employees waiting for THEIR cars.

hsadler | 12/11/2017

Months ago, I picked Nov 17 as the drop dead date on 'invite to configure' as an indicator of delivery this year. I still stick by that and you can even call it 'official'. So there you have it. It slipped out.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

rxlawdude | 12/11/2017

"Of course nobody's been invited. They still have thousands of employees waiting for THEIR cars."

"Thousands?" That want the $54,000 variety with all options and no choice other than color and wheels?

I'd love a vetted, non-speculative, citation to a source that says a huge fraction of Tesla/SpaceX/SolarC employees are waiting for those first available, fully loaded models. You have one, right?

dsvick | 12/11/2017

@rxlawdude, I agree with you that not all employees will want the first production cars, but those are $49,000 not $54,000. The only requirements for first production are long range and PUP which adds $14,000 to the base. Where are you getting the extra $5K?

pat777campbell | 12/11/2017

The salesman isn't subject to SEC sanctions for giving out bad information. However, the company is.

Tesla2018 | 12/11/2017

Most SpaceX employees are engineers and rocket scientists that make decent salaries.Also Tesla high tech jobs pay good but the cost of living in CA is crazy. And a lot of regular employees might have done what I did. Buy Tesla stock when it first came out or with their 401K plans and have made enough to be able to afford the car.

nameless | 12/11/2017

@dsvick The "autopilot" (adaptive cruise control/lane assist) is $5k extra, and it is a big part of the reason to buy a Tesla in the first place. Model3tracker poll found that 80% of prospective model 3 buyers want EAP with or without FSD. You might as well mentally add $5k to the sticker price.

Tropopause | 12/11/2017

In Elon We Trust.

dsvick | 13/11/2017

@nameless, yes that's true and it's a big reason I'm not really looking at a different vehicle, but it isn't a required option for first production.

Carl Thompson | 13/11/2017

"In Elon We Trust."

Elon is starting to remind me of Joe Isuzu. :-(

Rutrow | 13/11/2017

Would Elon charge his employees for EAP?

andy.connor.e | 13/11/2017

God this again? Must have some really bored people out there to be STILL creating threads like this.

RonaldA | 13/11/2017

As soon as I get a configuration email, I'm buying some more shares.

Yodrak. | 13/11/2017

" it [autopilot] isn't a required option for first production."

Of course it isn't, because all of the hardware needed for autopilot is built into every car whether or not the option is chosen at the time of order. First production, next production, or ultimate production - the autopilot hardware isn't an option at all - it's a 'required' part of all Model 3s.

andy.connor.e | 13/11/2017

Be glad that Tesla is not forcing you to decide whether you want autopilot right out the door or not, forcing you to decide "if i dont get it now i cant ever get it". Wow, what a great company. Thanks, for giving me the ability to choose when i decide the time is right. Like upgrading a computer part, only the part is already there, and im just paying the value of it when i would like to start using it.

Rocky_H | 13/11/2017

@burdogg, Quote: “Many salespeople can't seem to say the simple words - I don't know. They feel it is bad to say such words, but it is the best words they should and can give. Instead, they want to look knowledgeable and so they give their educated guesses.”

This is so right. My wife works in planning and supply chain analysis, and she was saying recently how she would much rather have no data than bad data.

@Yodrak, Quote: “No one knows anything until it actually happens, whether or not it's been officially announced by Tesla.”

Heh, heh. Yeah, pretty much.

dsvick | 13/11/2017

"Of course it isn't, because all of the hardware needed for autopilot is built into every car whether or not the option is chosen at the time of order. First production, next production, or ultimate production - the autopilot hardware isn't an option at all - it's a 'required' part of all Model 3s."

Yes, I'm aware of that, I was simply replying to the person that replied to me when I questioned the extra $5K in another poster's price for employee first production and how they didn't all want them so there wouldn't be that many for them to work through, so that the initial OPs comments were not valid because ..... oh, never mind it really isn't worth it ....

Akuma | 13/11/2017

Not shocked about this. It seems, according to many long time owners on this forum, that this is the norm for Tesla. My dates were moved back to a range of September to November of next year. Fun stuff. I have just stopped worrying about it. Hopefully I am invited to configure early next year...hopefully.

bj | 13/11/2017

No need to jump down the OP's throat. To me, this is a statement of the obvious. What the salesman said is irrelevant here. Simple logic tells you that it would be at least 6 weeks betwen configuration invitation and car delivery. Ergo, if you haven't received a configuration invitation by now, you won't have a Model 3 delivered in 2017.

Yodrak. | 13/11/2017

bj gets it. So does the sales person who talked with the OP.

Madatgascar | 13/11/2017

Why 6 weeks? The only variable is color. They could just start producing cars of every color and email me before they load the car carrier.