Forums

Glass roof a possibility as a stand-alone option for standard battery model?

Glass roof a possibility as a stand-alone option for standard battery model?

This is the one option I'm interested in and my estimate for the standard battery model is "early 2018."

Is there any hope that a glass roof stand-alone option will be available for that trim by that time?

PaceyWhitter | 11/11/2017

No one knows what might happen in the future.

Haggy | 11/11/2017

The trend is the opposite. When I got my Model S, some things were in packages, but there was a lot more room to pick and choose. Color, suspension, tech package, seats, interior package, wheels, audio, weather package, roof type, center storage console, interior trim, seat type, seat color and rear facing seats were all options that didn't depend on other options or each other. You picked the ones you wanted. Battery size and supercharging were separate options for the 60 but bundled with the 85. Then of course there was performance vs non performance version.

Compare that to now, and there are fewer choices. It's not bad because some things such as the original tech package features, power liftgate, air suspension are standard for the Model S. The premium package, upgraded audio and weather package are all bundled into one package that you either get or don't get. With the P, most things are now standard including the premium package.

Software only features (Autopilot, FSD) will be individual options across the board because they aren't production line issues. Color will be a choice. I can't see lots of variation on the rest and assume that you will either get a premium package or not so they can build a bunch at once one way or another.

My lists weren't comprehensive but the trend has moved away from lots of choices toward a few packages.

zp | 11/11/2017

Yeah, that's probably true. For the Model 3, they are GOING FOR mass production and will want to limit production line variations. Oh well. Goodbye sunroof. I'll miss you (on my A3).

dsvick | 12/11/2017

"Is there any hope that a glass roof stand-alone option will be available for that trim by that time?"

The glass roof comes with the Premium Upgrades Package, not the long range battery. But, no, it is still part of a package and, as Haggy, mentions, likely will remain that way.

TeslaTap.com | 12/11/2017

Actually, I expect the options to be more flexible in the future (2 years out?). Once Tesla gets the production operations running smoothly, it will be easier to allow more unique customizations. At higher volumes it may also be necessary to be competitive. That said, I have no inside knowledge of what changes Tesla may make in the future.

andy.connor.e | 13/11/2017

I agree that the glass roof should be its own option. You shouldnt be forced to get the interior premium upgrades just to get a glass roof. Neither should you be forced to get AWD to get air suspension. But you get whats offered. At least Model 3 is <50% the cost of Model S.

Yodrak. | 13/11/2017

While we're objecting to option packages rather than ala carte, I object to having to get a HEPA air filtration system,
Custom audio system featuring 11 speakers with neodymium magnets, and XM satellite radio capability just so I can get the cold weather features. But hey, name me a car company that doesn't bundle options into packages that force people to get some things they don't want in order to get things that the do want.

andy.connor.e | 13/11/2017

Thats the production line.

Frank99 | 13/11/2017

Yodrak -
I agree - why do I have to pay for the cold-weather package to get the glass roof? I live in Phoenix; the cold-weather package has negative value for me (It'll never be used, there's more to go wrong, and there's more weight to haul around).
But I'll pay them whatever they want to GET MY 3!

Yodrak. | 13/11/2017

"why do I have to pay for the cold-weather package to get the glass roof? I live in Phoenix; the cold-weather package has negative value for me (It'll never be used, there's more to go wrong, and there's more weight to haul around)."

I agree with you also, you are the opposite side of the same coin. I will observe, however, that if something goes wrong with your cold-weather package you will most likely never know it, and all the parts combined weigh a lot less than the glass roof.