Forums

WHY TESLA IS NOT TAKEN THIS PRODUCTION SERIOUSLY???? ARE WE NOT WORTHY??

WHY TESLA IS NOT TAKEN THIS PRODUCTION SERIOUSLY???? ARE WE NOT WORTHY??

Tesla management needs to be held accountable for all this delay. I demand a detail on WHY we have to wait again?? I booked mine in 4/2016 was pushed now three times. It is unprofessional and disrespectful. Even if you want to cancel your order, they will not give us our money right away. It takes three months to refund. What is the problem with this company?

Tesla Team, I need to know why are you delaying the production over and over? Are you going to release this or you discovered it is not making money? If so let us know, and we make our decision instead you are holding us hostage by waiting for your production to be real!!

KP in NPT | 08/02/2018

Did you not listen to the call? The delays are for the same reason as before. Module production. They expect new line to be in next month.

They hyperbole in your OP makes it hard to take you seriously.

Qutob | 08/02/2018

Hyperbole?? are you serious? What call are you talking about? I only get emails from them. Why the new line if they can't commit to the S model line? You must be one of the Tesla employees

lilbean | 08/02/2018

People need to chill out!

KP in NPT | 08/02/2018

enasenas - Tesla had their Q4 2017 earnings call yesterday. In it, they said that the current delay is the same as the last delay - that the module production line they'd contracted out was not up to the task, and that Tesla's Grohmann division is almost complete with the new line, which they expect to be shipped over from Germany next month.

I'm sure it's in the news somewhere today if you care to google. Or you can listen to the replay of the call yourself.

The hyperbole I refer to is the "holding hostage" - you are free to cancel your order at any time.

Qutob | 08/02/2018

Lilbean, when did you book yours? It was never communicated to us that it is going to take over two years to get your car. The date was giving when I booked was 4/2017. They need to be clear about their dates, so we don't get from one disappointment to another.

Qutob | 08/02/2018

Yes i can cancel my order but I was informed that it will take me over 3 months to get my refund. So that's why i felt that they need our money but yet can't deliver.

I relay on the news to know what is the issue. But i would love to be on the call. .. Do they allow you to talk? :-)

KP in NPT | 08/02/2018

It actually WAS communicated that it would be 2 years to get the car. That was clearly stated on 3/31.

I understand you are disappointed, especially since it appears you weren't informed of the actual timeline. So delays on top are even worse to you. But take a moment to get all the facts and then take a deep breath. ;)

The call can be listened to here: http://ir.tesla.com/eventdetail.cfm?EventID=187652

lilbean | 08/02/2018

First of all, reserving the car is not booking the car or ordering the car. It’s a reservation that can be cancelled at any time. Tesla is not holding anybody hostage.

From the reservation agreement: While this Reservation secures the approximate delivery priority within your region, it does not constitute the purchase or order of a vehicle. When the start of production for your Reservation nears, we will ask you to configure your Model 3. Tesla will create an order for your vehicle and you will receive a Purchase Agreement indicating the purchase price of the vehicle, plus estimates of any applicable taxes, duties, transport and delivery charges, and any other applicable fees. If you proceed with the order, we will apply your Reservation Payment towards the order payment. Until you enter into a Purchase Agreement, your Reservation may be cancelled at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Reservation Payment.

I think the shouty words and words like “hostage” and “are we not worthy” come off sounding a bit crazy.

What should Tesla be held accountable for? For people’s impatience? Is Tesla our only transportation option? No. So there’s a hiccup in production. I can tell you that production is in fact real. I have seen many 3s in my neighborhood.

carlk | 08/02/2018

The only reason you can't get yours is there are many more people just like you. You won't have the problem if you go buy a different car for example the Bolt that few want to buy. If you did not know Tesla worked its butts off to make you people happy. It actually pulled the schedule by more than a year from the original plan and has spent a lot of money doing it because of the unanticipated large number of reservations. In Q4 it has spent about $600 million, mostly for Model 3 production, and will continue to do it this year. Be appreciative for what it has done for you and don't whine like a little kid. It would not do you any good.

hoffmannjames | 08/02/2018

The idea that Tesla is not taking Model 3 production seriously is ludicrous.

1) Mass production is hard, especially when you have a reservation line of 500,000 people. Tesla needed to build an entire production line from scratch for the Model 3. All things considered, they have done an amazing job, pushing through production delays and delivering cars to the first owners. They will get to 5,000 cars per week in Q2 which is remarkable considering where they started.

2) The Model 3 is in super high demand, with 500,000 people rushing to reserve it in just a few days after the reveal. I can't really think of another car that has that kind of demand. You are bound to wait awhile when there are that many people waiting in line for the car. Again, it is easy to get a Bolt or a Leaf with little waiting, when the waiting line is zero because demand is low. GM or Nissan have production lines up and running and they "only" need to mass produce a few tens of thousands. Also, they ship them to dealerships, not direct to consumer. So they never have to worry about directly satisfying demand from buyers, they just ship x cars to dealers and let them worry about selling them in a timely manner.

andy.connor.e | 08/02/2018

You seem to have your panties all in a bunch. Did you misplace your car keys this morning?

mwu | 08/02/2018

There are a lot of people in this boat.

I myself had a Model S reservation for a long time (before production) based on a massive bonus I got one year. When I got called to configure, the bonuses I was getting weren't the same and I had to cancel. It broke my heart. It was wishful thinking, and I felt foolish about it, but I set my sights on Gen III (the model 3 didn't have a name at the time) and moved on. I wish that would count for something in the timing of an invite, but it doesn't.

I'm also a Tesla investor. I purchased pretty early on when their stock was at $30 / share. I wish that would count for something for the timing of an invite, but it doesn't (I could drop my stock and purchase an S, but I'd be blowing away retirement savings -- a choice I am making).

I did put in my reservation on 3/31/16 as early as I could. That I had control over. That is the only way I have (that I am willing to use) to get the best possible delivery date. Production delays I don't have control over, so it's not worth stressing about.

Yes, I'm disappointed that things are delayed further. However, I'm choosing to look at the upside to this. I'm using the extra time to save more so I can afford more options. I'm also improving the state of my garage to get it ready for a Tesla. I'm reading about the current owners' experiences to be better prepared for my car. I'm also going to get a better car because of the trials current owners are going through right now.

What happens to us isn't always controllable, but how we feel is a choice. Could I be upset and irate? Sure, and many would think it appropriate to the situation. Would it help anything? No.

Instead I choose to look forward and take action on the things I can do something about. I would rather live my life in control of my own emotions and enjoying what is than being miserable thinking about what could or should have been.

maintreqd | 08/02/2018

Suuuuch uninformed entitlement. Really this is getting so silly on here with some people. Please stop with the threats (or whatever you want to call them); just cancel your res and get off the forum.

Also, Tesla employees don't run this forum, so stop lashing out at strangers with your impatience. Good grief.

Mttcoco | 08/02/2018

@KP "The hyperbole I refer to is the "holding hostage" - you are free to cancel your order at any time."

There's that condescension that we all know doesn't exist from current owners. LOL

Mttcoco | 08/02/2018

We all know we can cancel our reservation if desired. Thanks for rubbing that BS in our faces yet again.

weluvm3 | 08/02/2018

@hoffmannjames If the “problem” is that 500,000 people reserved, perhaps Tesla should have advertised the initial version as $49,000 plus $5,000 for optional EAP? Then they might have had a more manageable number of reservations, and people who are currently waiting would have more realistic expectations as well.

KP in NPT | 08/02/2018

Mttcoco - please. The OP posts a hysterical rant and claims to be a hostage.

I am pointing out that is untrue. I did not tell him to cancel his reservation, I didn't tell him to go buy a Bolt. I absolutely did not "rub it in his face." I simply refuted his hostage claim. Deposits are refundable and reservations can be canceled at any time.

People seriously need to take a deep breath.

George with SacEV | 08/02/2018

I hate to be so strong here, but to the OP:

1. Have YOU ever started a car production line?
2. Have YOU even read about other new vehicle startups in the last century....NONE succeeded since Chrysler arrived around 1932.
3. Have YOU actually followed the many, many news articles and press releases as Musk, et al, started to bring the Model 3 to production? They continuously have reported essentially...this is going to be hard and any little supplier hangup is going to slow things down....etc.
4. Have YOU had your head in the sand so deeply that you missed the FACt that Tesla has NEVER hit it's early production delivery dates? The Model X was almost 2 YEARS late with the engineering problems with the "Falcon doors."

5. And I am so sorry to have to say this to you, but ....What kind of an idiot are you to think this is not something that Tesla is VERY CONCERNED about? YIKES! Did you not see the earnings report yesterday? This delay in getting production up is a HUGE FINANCIAL HIT to the company. This is not a "courtesy thing," but a hugely complex engineering challenge: a new product, a new production line, new suppliers and new technology must ALL come together.

So, if this is so personally upsetting to you.....Go out and buy a Toyota Prius Prime....or even better the new Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt. The legacy automakers have already gotten the kinks out of their production issues. I had VIN # 320 Leaf in the whole world, and though I waited for that car, it was also late with delays and tweaks required after actual production and shipping to the US, and it was far, far from ideal, but it was "cutting edge" at the time. Tesla has NOT the production history of Nissan or Chevrolet in terms of ANY "mass market" production line. Be patient or "go legacy." Simple as that.....

RedPillSucks | 08/02/2018

@weluvm3 People who are paying attention have realistic expectations. When I put in my reservations (a week late, sadly) I fully expected 2019 would be the realistic delivery date. Tesla had to create an entirely new production line, not repurpose an existing line like other automakers. They also don't have the deep pockets to sell cars at a loss like GM does with the Bolt, so they were clearly going to push the most expensive cars first. While the delay is disappointing, it is perfectly understandable, if you're paying attention.

@Mttcoco KPs response is not condescension, its exasperation. Its the response to seeing unnecessary "hair on fire" "sky is falling" response to events that were entirely predictable and understandable.

As my user name suggests, I willingly took the Red EV pill and chose to stay in EV wonderland and see how far the EV rabbit hole goes. Its not always fun and it sucks sometimes, but its real. As KP suggests, you can choose to take your ICE blue pill, end the story, wake up in your comfy ICE bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
The choice is yours.

weluvm3 | 08/02/2018

"People who are paying attention have realistic expectations."

OK, you got me: I must not have been "paying attention" to Tesla's official announcements and communications when I stood in line to place my order.

For some reason, when I stood in line, I had formed the mistaken impression that Tesla's goal was to bring an "affordable" $35,000 car to market ASAP, and, on top of that, we'd even be eligible for a $7,500 Federal Tax Rebate.

Not only did I think that, but, during my lengthy, overnight wait, I discovered that essentially EVERYONE ELSE standing in line with me was under the same,. mistaken impression.

OK, @RedPillSucks, I admit we were ALL delusional. But you knew the truth all along, because you were "paying attention", and we were not.

So, please help educate us now: exactly what did Tesla say back in 2016 that I missed? Where was all this explained clearly, in black and white? We all missed it at the time, but I'd still like to see those official communications from Tesla now because maybe I'll learn something.

You're right.

But i stopped reading after caps lock.

matt80206 | 08/02/2018

Is it just me or are people just not patient anymore. Its like spoiled children or something. They only took 1k dollars, and you can get it back. Put on your big boy/girl panties and chill, or walk away.

dyefrog | 08/02/2018

matt80206, We're not supposed to say that anymore. Our job now is to coddle and caress the snowflakes until all is right in the world. Any deviation to their expectations whether actual or not is unacceptable and someone needs to be accountable and make things right. I'm seriously thinking of holding my breathe until I get a call directly from Elon explaining how this could happen. I want my Maypo.

I have to blame something for my unhappiness. Someone must be accountable for my feelings.

dyefrog | 08/02/2018

breath, not breathe

Jcastillo18 | 08/02/2018

The problem is that we were expecting the car sooner than later . Unlike the previous Models the Model 3 was for the masses. Most of the people who would of bought or will buy Model 3 do not have the luxury of waiting around. For many people this would of been the car they use every day not a spare car or a fun car, it was meant for an ever day car. I can wait I have no problem with waiting. Some people cannot wait and perhaps they may move on.

weluvm3 | 08/02/2018

"I have to blame something for my unhappiness. Someone must be accountable for my feelings."

You can try blaming the caps lock key. It sounds like that is currently the source of all your unhappiness. :-)

weluvm3 | 08/02/2018

"I have to blame something for my unhappiness. Someone must be accountable for my feelings."

You can try blaming the caps lock key. It sounds like that is currently the source of all your unhappiness. :-)

Oddball | 08/02/2018

ARE WE NOT WORTHY??

Correct. We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.

I have since removed my caps lock key. I already feel better. I recommend this highly to OP.

djharrington | 08/02/2018

The Model 3 forum is beginning to get as entertaining as watching snowflake meltdowns on YouTube for hours! Where's my popcorn?

lilbean | 08/02/2018

Never underestimate the power of hormones.

teslamodelx | 08/02/2018

lilbean Let’s look at the bright side, at least we not talking about the Alcantara fiasco anymore! :-)

sandysimon45 | 08/02/2018

Hi everyone. I understand the disappointment. Two years ago I got my wife a new car and took her old RAV4 which now has 260K miles on it. That was supposed to be temporary while I waited for my dream car. I really want my Tesla Model 3, as does my 10 year old grandson. I saw my first one on the street yesterday.

I was not disappointed when they pushed my order the last two times, but the wording of the email I received this time was "As we work hard to meet demand, we wanted to let you know that your estimated delivery timing has been adjusted to a slightly later window." My window till now was May 2018 and now reads early 2019. To me me that is more than slightly adjusted.

lilbean | 08/02/2018

Lol, @Teslamodelx!

Shock | 08/02/2018

"My window till now was May 2018 and now reads early 2019. To me me that is more than slightly adjusted."

How dare you? It's just a flesh wound!

With the estimate change today that I saw I'm mostly checked out on the car. I was never deeply emotionally invested in it and within the last week learned of another sedan from another manufacturer hitting the shores this summer which trounces the model 3 in both standard and available features. It's better in every way except it lacks an EV power train and can't auto-steer (neither can the model 3, safely). Otherwise the same amount of money will get me a larger car with more stuff in it, from a manufacturer that doesn't miss deadlines, and does rush cars to market relying on endlessly software updates before they work properly.

Not cancelling my model 3 reservation yet, but I probably will eventually.

cascadiadesign | 08/02/2018

Wow. Quite a temper tantrum OP. How do you manage to hold a job that pays well enough to purchase a $35k + car?

Instant EV gratification and free coffee is as close as your local Chevy or Nissan dealership. Do it and you'll feel better.

ed.fletcher.59 | 08/02/2018

Well said George with SacEV. People think that creating an automobile factory assembly line is easy. I personally cannot think of anything more difficult. It drives me nuts when people accuse Tesla of incompetence. They are doing so many things that nobody else has done.

Mohit_thapar_01 | 08/02/2018

This is sucks I got email saying that my delivery pushed back to early 2019 another year before we get the car. Made reservation in 2016/4 and estimated delivery was 2018/4 April to June and now next year Tesla why do t you starting paying interest on the deposits to everyone who is waiting for the car and keep getting pushed back because of what ever reasons. When we all placed the order is said delivery in 2 years not 3 years totally unfair.

dimitri.anast | 08/02/2018

@cascadiadesign that was pretty rude. Granted in my opinion OP did overreact a bit, but he never attacked anyone personally. You on the other hand can't say the same.

I declare this an exceptional adult temper tantrum. Agreed with @cascadiadesign

I declare this an exceptional adult temper tantrum. Agreed with @cascadiadesign

seattlemag | 08/02/2018

Thanks for the update, @Shock .

cascadiadesign | 08/02/2018

dimitri - I guess I'm just dismayed by the juvenile reactions I've seen to this announcement. Nobody is being held hostage. Anyone who follows Tesla knows what the production challenges are. Anyone who read the reservation agreement knows that no promise dates were given. Everyone is free to vote with their wallet.

BoRidge | 08/02/2018

Not sure I understand what people expect Tesla to do. They want to make the cars so that they can sell the cars to you. If they are able to make the cars and sell them to you, they make money. So your interests and Tesla's interests are aligned. The only area where some owners interests diverge from Tesla's interest is the priority granted to current owners. However, the current owner priority would not have detrimentally affected anyone outside of 3/31 non-owner orders (and likely 3/31 non-owner California orders). There is no conspiracy to keep your car from you and I am sure Tesla is holding themselves accountable, trying to reach the goal that is to their benefit.

@weluvm3 snarkiness not withstanding, did you do any research into Tesla at all before you put down your reservation? Did Tesla tell you a specific date when you would get your car? Every reservation holder is an early adopter, and that comes with a lot of caveats. You can be snarky about it if you wish, but Tesla did not mislead you

bayareakid2008 | 08/02/2018

Tesla is taking production very seriously. The future of the company relies on the Model 3 being profitable. That is why I believe they are never going to make the $35k Model 3 - not enough profit at that price point.

djharrington | 08/02/2018

Someone should start a petition to force Tesla to take production of the 3 seriously. They would have no choice but to fulfill all reservation holder's orders quickly. Also, have them throw in a HUD and fob for everyone's troubles.

Haggy | 08/02/2018

If you booked your car in 4/2016, then when were you expecting it? Do you remember what Tesla was saying when they unveiled the car?

Pages