Forums

Model 3 Window easily scratches

Model 3 Window easily scratches

I am wondering if any experienced the fact that their M3 windows easily scratch.
Any input will be appreciated.

andrewlee05 | 23. toukokuu 2018

I just noticed today that my windshield has micro scratches (seeing tiny stars or shiny specks) and I’ve only used the wipers on rainy days.

Just_Ted | 23. toukokuu 2018

My guess is that Tesla is using a softer glass. I commute a lot on interstate 95, close traffic, lots of debris hitting the windshield. My Saturn had hard glass, picked up cracks from rocks very easily. When I bought a VW Jetta, no more cracks. Instead, I had micro pitting over time. VW forums noted that they use a softer glass.

lilbean | 23. toukokuu 2018

Seventeen year old Ford had zero specks but Model X has many after a short time.

billlake2000 | 23. toukokuu 2018

Your Ford is a teenager. When he/she gets a bit older, a trip to the optometrist will likely result in needing specks.

Dansosa | 23. toukokuu 2018

Within 10 miles of getting my car I got a rock chip. Had it repaired but still noticeable

lilbean | 23. toukokuu 2018

@billlake Haha! I kicked the teenager out. :) Tesla adopted him and sent him on his way to some shady used car dealer.

pamoviedo | 01. syyskuu 2019

This car is very fragile. we got delivery two weeks ago and noticed two long scratches on both the passenger and driver's side window. The chrome strip above the window has chip and scratches too. Really starting to regret my decision. I have a 2010 Prius without any visible scratch on any of its windows.

Lonestar10_1999 | 02. syyskuu 2019

Parma, I owned a 2013 Prius and I noticed that many taxi cab companies rely on the Prius as their main workhorse. As luck would have it, a stress crack developed at the bottom center of the windshield about one month before I traded it in for my M3.

With the exception of Trump’s presidential limousine, all cars have weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

lbowroom | 02. syyskuu 2019

Pam. The windows should never contact the trim above. If they have, something is wrong. The automotive glass in the Model 3 isn’t any different than glass in any other car.

bpatter123 | 02. syyskuu 2019

I have heard this issue on forums on just about every car I have owned- Saab, Volvo, Mustang, GMC Sierra.... It seems the real issue is speed- fast driving (as is all too easy in a Tesla) makes the ubiquitous highway detritus into a destructive missiles. The windshield on the 16 year old GMC, rarely freeway driven, is pristine. The Saab which was never driven sanely had issues. I bet the Tesla will be more of the latter experience.

walnotr | 02. syyskuu 2019

Yup, as speed increases windshield damage follows suit.

pamoviedo | 04. syyskuu 2019

These scratches are from the inside and rainbow shaped one is about 8 inch long and the other 4 inch. I had it scheduled for service I have a feeling something inside the door panel had caused it.

lbowroom | 04. syyskuu 2019

Did you have your windows tinted?

calvin940 | 04. syyskuu 2019

Had my car since Oct 1 last year. No glass issues. Glass is fragile, not the car.

CharleyBC | 04. syyskuu 2019

A while back my wife had a terrifying rock strike on the windshield. You know, that sudden BANG that makes you jump out of yourself. We can find no evidence on the glass.

WantMY | 04. syyskuu 2019

WindowGate? lol

ODWms | 05. syyskuu 2019

@CharleyBC - same here a few months back. Not a scratch. Couldn’t believe it.

Atoms | 05. syyskuu 2019

Nuclear blast proof glass being used on Semi, the car glass requires very clean microfiber towels to clean and dont apply too much force. The glass is soft. Definitely not gorilla glass. Hopefully Tesla has glass insurance in their new plan with no deductible. If so, they will likely upgrade the glass due to the high losses.

Atoms | 05. syyskuu 2019

Nuclear blast proof glass being used on Semi, the car glass requires very clean microfiber towels to clean and dont apply too much force. The glass is soft. Definitely not gorilla glass. Hopefully Tesla has glass insurance in their new plan with no deductible. If so, they will likely upgrade the glass due to the high losses.

Atoms | 05. syyskuu 2019

Atoms | 05. syyskuu 2019

Atoms | 05. syyskuu 2019

Atoms | 05. syyskuu 2019

lbowroom | 05. syyskuu 2019

Soft? So what other cars come with anything but standard automotive grade glass?