Submitted by HockeyEV on Tue, 2018-06-26 06:54
So I got the long awaiting email that my Model S is ready for delivery. Then I got the dreaded phone call saying they found a pain imperfection and they want to go over my options before taking delivery. They say its subtle but you can notice it and its the bumper. So my options are:
1) Before taking official delivery they coordinate getting it fixed 100%. The con is that the finance rate will be updated on July 1st so the rate may go up but they wouldnt know the rate until then. There is a chance they will be done before July 1st but I doubt it.
2) They fix it at the service center to about 90%, I take delivery, then i figure out some time in July to bring it back and they coordinate getting it fully fixed and they coordinate a loaner. (hopefully a tesla). The one con i see in this, i see myself keep kicking the can down the road.
I guess a 3rd option would be I take delivery and pay for it, but then never drive it off the lot and tell them to call me when its ready.
So what do you think?