Forums

2018 Model S Suspension Problem

2018 Model S Suspension Problem

Took delivery of my Model S in March, 20018. The front suspension has an ongoing problem; a noise which sounds like a rattle or a stone in a tin can. It occurs at lower speeds and is most annoying in city traffic.

I informed the regional sales manager (months ago) that I did not want to keep this car if this problem cannot be fixed. This problem has been dragging along for far too long and needs immediate attention by Tesla. Perhaps we should all request a buy back since Tesla has not been able to fix this problem. If they are unable to fix this problem soon, then I may invoke the lemon law.

I also escalated this concern to corporate and they told me (twice so far) that they are aware of this problem and that they are 'working on a solution'. Last week I confirmed with the service center at my dealership that there is still no update for this problem.

If you own a Model S with this problem may I suggest that you consider escalating your concern to corporate. It is unacceptable for luxury car owners to settle for less.

Also, I am wondering if there something more serious about this problem (is a noise just or noise or something worse) that we aren't being told about? Tesla tells us that the vehicle is safe to drive, but how do we know for sure? We deserve an objective review of this problem. Should the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) should be contacted to verify that this suspension noise is not a safety concern?

David N | 26. heinäkuu 2018

This post sounds awfully familiar to previous posts from the guy whose been buying wrecked S’s.
If not, I apologize.

J.T. | 26. heinäkuu 2018

@paintingsarefun >>>It is unacceptable for luxury car owners to settle for less

Where is the cutoff? At what pirce point should people stop settling for less? If I buy a brand new KIA for $21,000 should I be expected to put up with a host of deficiencies because I bought an inexpensive car? Do I have any reasonable expectation of quality at $35,000? How abouit $50,000?

paintingsarefun | 26. heinäkuu 2018

Apology accepted David N. I am not your guy. I am a first time Tesla owner. Always wise to do primary source verification. Google the suspension problem. I am not alone.

plusplusjames | 27. heinäkuu 2018

Is the sound coming from one of the front tires?

Run4Waffles | 27. heinäkuu 2018

Huh. This is the first that I’ve heard about it for the 2018’s. It sounds like a gawd awful problem.

“Perhaps we should all request a buy back since Tesla has not been able to fix this problem.”

How many others have you come across as having this specific problem? Can you provide the links for documentation of them?

“...at my dealership”

You are aware that Tesla sells direct and doesn’t have dealerships, right? It may seem like nick picking, however, it’s a major distinction.

“If they are unable to fix this problem soon, then I may invoke the lemon law.”

It sounds more like you’re looking to stir the pot rather than resolve an “issue”.

“We deserve an objective review of this problem. Should the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) should be contacted to verify that this suspension noise is not a safety concern?”

Why are you asking? Have you not done your due diligence to come to a conclusion? As I asked above, can you provide concrete specifics and proof of what your saying?

Mathew98 | 27. heinäkuu 2018

Is noise a safety concern? If so, make sure you upgrade to a new wife ASAP...

Tropopause | 27. heinäkuu 2018

Rock in the rotor?

NKYTA | 28. heinäkuu 2018

Kief in the House?

Rutrow 3 | 28. heinäkuu 2018

How many miles were on it when you bought it?

jlhm | 28. heinäkuu 2018

Flagged

Silver2K | 28. heinäkuu 2018

This dude is from the future and he went through alot of trouble to come back to our time to tell us Tesla has problems in the future also!

"Took delivery of my Model S in March, 20018."

Silver2K | 28. heinäkuu 2018

Also. Judging by delivery year and month, I would go long on TSLA.

Pungoteague_Dave | 28. heinäkuu 2018

This is a known and widespread issue, fanbois. Ask any Tesla tech. Superiority and snideness abounds here.

NKYTA | 29. heinäkuu 2018

Widespread?

I didn’t get the memo, or have the problem.

SO | 29. heinäkuu 2018

I actually have the same issue in my 2017 MS. But it’s so faint that I don’t get all worked up about it. I’ll have them look at it when I bring it in for my 2 year maintenance review (I skipped the first year).

My gas car makes worse noises but is often masked by the engine noise.

SbMD | 29. heinäkuu 2018

Anyone with an issue can certainly elevate the concern up the ladder to Corporate, and they have methods for contacting them through the website. For the record, no issue with my 2015 MS (air suspension, BTW). Haven't heard of where the described issue is pervasive and that we should "all request a buy back". Where are you getting this information from?

@PD = "This is a known and widespread issue, fanbois. Ask any Tesla tech. Superiority and snideness abounds here."

No, this is not a "known and widespread issue". Show us the data, @PD, that your claim is correct. It would be news to everyone.

TeslaTap.com | 29. heinäkuu 2018

My two cars don't have the issue, and a number of local Tesla friends have never had the issue. Seems like one or two might have an issue, but 2 out of 100,000 or so is not widespread. Very annoying for one's person's issue to be assumed to be everyone's issue.

This specific issue is tainted further by Keefs continued posting of anonymous reports of a suspension issue by looking at pictures of crashed Teslas from the web, having no information as to what caused the crashes, but making up stuff. Even the NTSHA has acknowledged these reports as fake. Here's more for those interested: https://electrek.co/2016/06/13/tesla-fale-complaints-suspension-nhtsa-ke...

TeslaTap.com | 29. heinäkuu 2018

Oops, should be NHTSA.

Pungoteague_Dave | 29. heinäkuu 2018

@TeslaTap.com "My two cars don't have the issue, and a number of local Tesla friends have never had the issue. "

I have also never had the issue. It is new for 2018 and appears to be a known issue that affects most, perhaps all recently-delivered cars, not just a few. Ask any Tesla tech. They are working on a fix.

SbMD | 29. heinäkuu 2018

No, @PD, you can't make a pronouncement that this is affecting "all" cars or even "most" recent builds. Right now, it appears that there are a relatively small number of people who have raised this issue.
There is a thread at TMC discussing this. There are a mix of people who say that have had this issue and others who say that they have not. Same build timeframe, same general specs on their cars.

Again, better to speak to "pervasiveness" only with a better understanding of the number of people affected. No one here or at TMC knows how many people are affected.

Nonetheless, I hope they find a fix for you and the others affected, @painting

a.a.yarushin | 05. syyskuu 2018

@paintingsarefun More and more owners report about this problem. There is a good thread about it: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2969654/
The problem is spread worldwide in about 13 countries. Very few know about the thread on TMC unfortunately, but I as far as I am informed, owners have started appealing to legal council already.

Anybody here from Tesla engineering?

HockeyEV | 05. syyskuu 2018

Well i am confused. The article that was linked above for suspension problems is from 2016. I thought you said 2018 was the issue? Maybe i misread something.

Well 1 vote for no issue yet with a build from June 2018.

2016 is out of the scope most likely, I agree @HockeyEV

Questions to Tesla Engineering team:
1. What is the normal Force vs Displacement plot?
2. Have you run tests of the defect shocks on Shock Dynamometer? What is the Force vs Displacement plot after test?

CC: Elon Musk

TeslaTap.com | 05. syyskuu 2018

@a.a.yarushin - Elon and Tesla engineers do not look at the forums. It's only us lowly forum posters. You might send a contact email to them, but for technical items, they tend to be tight lipped, so I doubt you'll get any response.

@TeslaTap.com Escalating seems to be inefficient. I have tried to escalate for executinve review and my request ended-up back in the SC which itself depends on the feedback from Tesla or Tesla Engineering. No details about the problem have been provided, no deadline for solution has been set.

smithy666 | 11. syyskuu 2018

My S 100D is two weeks old and has this problem. Going to see service next week

Hammonddave | 11. syyskuu 2018

My service advisor said the same thing to me last week. They are "aware of the problem and have not solution at this time".

soundw997 | 12. syyskuu 2018

I was hoping to ask you all for your opinions on a dilemma I am in. I'm a 23-year-old who is looking to get a Tesla. I am really struggling with whether or not I get a New 100D, Used Model S, or just reserve myself a fully loaded Model 3.

There are three things I care about:

Functionality (Be it the techy features of the car and AutoPilot features)

Price (Obviously I want the best for my money. I include the Tesla Model S's free supercharging for life in this calculation because I think I will pretty much exclusively fill the car up at supercharging stations)

Range (I don't see myself in a car that can't go 300 miles without needing a charge.... this rules out most used Model S cars unless it was a very good price)

The Model 3 seems beautiful, but I don't know if I really want to wait 18 months to get that car. Additionally, as stated before, I think the free supercharging is very beneficial. The Model S is pretty obviously the nicer of the two cars, as Elon Musk has said himself, but I just don't know if spending nearly $100,000 on a new 100D car with all of the bells and whistles is worth it when I could spend half of that for a car that can do essentially the same things.

I've got a lot of life ahead of me. Should I make the more economical choice and go for the Model 3 or should I live a little and go for the new Model S?

And here's another thing that I've been thinking of:

The logical part of my brain says wait for the Model 3. Just because you have money doesn't mean that you need to spend it. You will have some big expenses coming soon like purchasing a house, having a family, kids, ect.

The emotional part of my brain is telling me to just go for the new 100D. Even if I purchased that car now, I'd still be much better off than most people my age. In life, there will always be "something to save up for" and I don't want to be saving for so long that I end up missing out on enjoying my childhood while I still can get to have fun and do crazy things without worrying too much about the consequences. I don't want to be the 65-year-old retiree who looks back on life kicking himself saying "Damn... I wish I did 'blah blah blah' when I was younger".

I am hoping that someone smarter and wiser than I can help me out here. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

P.S. - If I go for the newer Model S... I plan on keeping the car for a very long time. Probably at least 7 years.
________________________________________________________________________________________

https://snaptube.vip/ https://tubemate.vip/ https://test-dpc.com/

TeslaTap.com | 12. syyskuu 2018

@soundw997 - Not sure anyone here can give you advise on what is best for you. We've all faced these range of choices before, but a lot depends on what you like, want, and can afford. Note that the Model 3 is not a 18 month wait - in fact last week Tesla had a sale for immediate purchase of the Model 3 with a number of new cars that were built with popular configurations. Even custom order can be delivered in several months depending on options.

What's with the random unrelated links at the bottom of your post. It makes you look like a spam bot?

a.a.yarushin | 14. syyskuu 2018

@soundw997 Remember one thing - vehicle is a tool. There are things much more important than this. Family is a very good example. For those you love it does not matter what you drive.

I ended up with TMS accidentally. Because the next version of Nissan Leaf was late for delivery. As sad at that. There was also my collegue who said only good things about Tesla, but he could not imagine what was to come when Tesla hit Norway and service centers chocked with service requests for a lot of failures. It just take too much time to wrestle with Tesla to do what they are supposed to do - solve the problem or take their product back

Beside negative things TMS is a beautiful vehicle and these problems simply do not suit it. I cannot get my head around HOW in the whole World Elon Musk allow this to happen. Look at this thread you you will understand my frustration: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2969654/ This does not need to happen!

p.c.mcavoy | 14. syyskuu 2018

@soundw997 - Just a comment about free supercharging. Everyone fixates on free supercharging being some huge savings, but you need to keep in perspective how much you spend up front vs. what you’ll really save.

Some example numbers: Take a Model S where you’ll likely average somewhere around 3 miles of range per kWh of energy consumed. Say you drive twice the national average each year, so 30,000 miles annually. That would say your total energy consumption is 10,000 kWh. Assuming you’re not in Hawaiii, the peak supercharging rates currently are $0.26 per kWh saying even with this high level of supercharging you’ll save $2600 per year. Drive closer to the national average of 15,000 miles a year and you’re looking at half that in savings. Look at a Model 3 where is likely closer to 4 miles of range per kWh of energy and the annual savings will be less.

So if you end up buying a new vehicle to get free supercharging vs. say a used vehicle without free supercharging that happens to be 20,000 less expensive, then you’re likely financially better off to forego the free supercharging and buy the less expensive vehicle.

Hammonddave | 05. lokakuu 2018

I have the same problem and I have a July 2018 build.

Silver2K | 05. lokakuu 2018

Hammonddave | October 5, 2018
I have the same problem and I have a July 2018 build.
---------

What did the service center say?

yunj123 | 05. lokakuu 2018

I have June 2018 Build and same issue.
3 weeks ago they said it is known issue and didn't fix it.
I took it in again yesterday and they are going to replace the front struts.
If problem is going to come back, what's the point?
Hope they found the fix this time.

Struts?

I wish I had struts...

Ok, I got too nitpicky there.

They might have had a bad batch of air struts. That's probably why they are fixing it now and not 3 weeks ago, because they might have figured out the issue.

ed | 10. lokakuu 2018

I have a March 2018 model with same issue
Does anyone have a car that seems to have a fan running when car parked in garage?

Silver2K | 10. lokakuu 2018

Ed

Outside temperature?
We're you on a long drive?

pamadurthi | 29. lokakuu 2018

I have the same problem, 4 week old car and just dropped off at the service center.

KDLTesla | 03. tammikuu 2019

Same problem as well. Bought in late Sept 2018. No response from Tesla Service yet about what they're going to do. If anyone finds successful resolution, please share.

igor.shuli | 27. tammikuu 2019

I got mine delivered on Christmas ‘18 has exactly the same problem. In addition it makes a rattling noise during high acceleration.
Took it in twice, both times had a drive with two different technicians and both heard the noise.
After each appointment I was told that the issue was resolved but as soon as I would drive away from the shop the rattling noice was back.

It’s less pronounced when the car is on low suspension but it’s still there. It’s the loudest and very annoying especially driving around NYCs terrible roads.

I tested a 2018 p100d with large rims and I didn’t hear the noise.

I got mine delivered on Christmas ‘18 has exactly the same problem. In addition it makes a rattling noise during high acceleration.
Took it in twice, both times had a drive with two different technicians and both heard the noise.
After each appointment I was told that the issue was resolved but as soon as I would drive away from the shop the rattling noice was back.

It’s less pronounced when the car is on low suspension but it’s still there. It’s the loudest and very annoying especially driving around NYCs terrible roads.

I tested a 2018 p100d with large rims and I didn’t hear the noise.

The person who posted about struts replacement, did that fix the issue?

Hguptamd | 29. tammikuu 2019

New 2018 model s 100, delivered in nov 2018, has had clunky noise going over bumps since day 1, has been to service center x2. replacing front suspension part has not fixed the issue. Now has about 2400 miles, problem persists, worse, louder, worse if going faster or going over deeper bump. No matter what speed. Car currently back in.. Service center! “Diagnostics” team .. befuddled....

Silver2K | 29. tammikuu 2019

I had a clunk noise in front of my car when the front end had little weight on it going uphill and hurting bumps. They replaced one of my air shock and the sound completely disappeared.

Also my P90D would stutter/shake when I hit the accelerator harder than normal. The tech felt it and told me they redesigned the front end. He applied that fix and have not had any issues in the lost 60k+ miles.

Hitting

Those that have taken your car in, can you please pay the work order?

Pages