Forums

Lack of Blind Spot Detection Capability

Lack of Blind Spot Detection Capability

I can't seem to figure out how to search this forum, so my apologies if this subject has come up before.

So, I'm a new S100D owner with EAP and in general very pleased with the vehicle. It does many more things than I had even thought it could before I made the decision to purchase. However, one of the things it cannot is detect and warn me of cars in my blindspot. This is a safety hazard given that most other vehicles have this capabilitiy and then some. So, if Tesla is so good at software updates, then fix this inexcusable lack of a safety feature. I would've had to think twice about purchasing the vehicle had I noticed this feature was not available on the vehicle.

mhrobinson3 | 26. elokuu 2018

If you adjust your mirrors properly, there won't BE a blind spot.

EVRider | 27. elokuu 2018

You can search the forum using one of the techniques here: https://teslatap.com/articles/owners-manual-companion/#search

The car does have blind spot monitoring, but it's not implemented the way most people would expect. Read the manual for details. Even in cars with better blind spot monitoring, you still need to look before changing lanes.

@mhrobinson3: Yes, you can adjust your mirrors to eliminate blind spots, but there are trade offs and not everyone wants to do that. That's why many cars have blind spot monitoring. :-)

Yodrak. | 27. elokuu 2018

If your S100D has blind spots it's because you created them by not making full use of the features the car offers.

kcheng | 27. elokuu 2018

Cars have blindspot monitoring for those people who never learned how to adjust their mirrors properly. Should have been taught in Driver's Ed.

A quick summary. From the driver's seat, tip head left so it touches the window. Looking into the left side mirror, adjust the mirror so that you just see a sliver of the left side of the car. When you return your head to its normal spot, the left side mirror should now cover the area of the left side blind spot. For the right side mirror, lean over to the right, with your head above the center elbow rest. Adjust the right side mirror so you just see a sliver of the right side of the car. Done. Now you've adjusted your mirrors properly so you can see what are known as "blind spots", which really aren't blind spots if your mirrors are adjusted the way they were meant to be. The mirrors aren't meant to look back, you have a rearview mirror for that, but to the side.

jordanrichard | 28. elokuu 2018

So because other cars have this feature, that makes it a safety hazard........?

If you can see a little orange indicator in your outside review mirrors, indicating that there is a car along the side of you, then you should also be able to see the reflection of the car.

GHammer | 28. elokuu 2018

"Blind Spot Detection" The most overrated car feature ever.

RedShift | 28. elokuu 2018

I have adjusted my mirrors so as to eliminate blind spots. (there are plenty of online tutorials)

Drawback? only one: In California Motorcyclists are allowed to split lanes. Sometimes, they are coming up too fast beside me when I am trying to merge into the next lane. Can't see them with the mirrors adjusted to eliminate blind spots. However, I have learnt to avoid that by look in the mirrors before I start the merge by leaning. This has to be done only to merge into carpool lane. Otherwise, I am mostly OK, as motorcyclists mostly split the lane next to the carpool lane.

I believe motorcyclists are NOT allowed to split lanes any other state in USA, though I might be mistaken. So you are good there.

IOW - adjusting mirrors to eliminate blind spots comes with very little drawback. Ergo, I too think blind spot monitoring is a bit overrated.

blacktape242 | 29. elokuu 2018

correct me if im wrong, but isnt the rear camera used for blind spot detection?

jordanrichard | 29. elokuu 2018

blacktape242, no. Though one could use it for that, but that isn't the primary use for it.

RadOne | 29. elokuu 2018

"Cars have blind spot monitoring for those people who never learned how to adjust their mirrors properly. Should have been taught in Driver's Ed."

Tell that person that sideswipes you this. May have been avoided with a blind spot monitor. Studies show it does reduces accidents. How can you possibly argue that it is not useful? I can't wait until blind spot monitors are mandated or better yet completely replaced by cameras to end this debate!

jordanrichard | 29. elokuu 2018

So instead of forcing people/holding people accountable for poor driving habits like not paying attention to what is going on around you, we go for the lowest common denominator and further enable these poor driving habits.

kcheng | 29. elokuu 2018

@RadOne, "Tell that person that sideswipes you this. May have been avoided with a blind spot monitor. Studies show it does reduces accidents. How can you possibly argue that it is not useful? I can't wait until blind spot monitors are mandated or better yet completely replaced by cameras to end this debate!"
Huh? Where did I say it wasn't useful? It's EXTREMELY USEFUL for those people who never learned how to adjust their mirrors properly. BUT, since not everyone has blindspot monitoring yet, it's important to know how to use your mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Reading is not hard.

RadOne | 29. elokuu 2018

Yikes! Turn signals, backup cameras, blind spot monitors, cross-traffic alerts, adaptive cruise control, autosteer. Doesn't anyone learn how to drive? And FSD, fuhgeddaboudit. What kind of driving habits will these people learn?Sounds like a lot of people here just want a couple of mirrors and a steering wheel. Why buy something with such advanced electronics. A complete waste of money.

georgehawley.fl.us | 29. elokuu 2018

The Model 3 has cameras on the outside of the B pillars. Maybe those will be used to help with blind spots.

My mirrors are adjusted correctly but I almost got clobbered when trying to change from the outside lane to the middle of three lanes. I signaled, checked the mirrors to make sure the middle lane was clear before I started to move over. As I edged into the center lane I got a blast of a horn as a guy in the inside lane who was traveling 10-15 mph faster than me, decided he wanted the middle lane. Needless to say I reacted by applying the brakes and violently turning back into the outside lane. I hope the car will be able to help in such a case in the future. That was scary.

DTsea | 29. elokuu 2018

i look over my shoulder not just in mirror. this is even easier with autosteer since the car will stay in its lane.

RadOne | 29. elokuu 2018

@george. Obviously, you need @jordan or @ken to give you a lesson on how to use your mirrors properly.

kcheng | 29. elokuu 2018

@notveryradone, You know what? When a car is blasting up behind you 10 to 15mph faster, even a blindspot monitor is not going to warn you. You need to simmer down now.

kcheng | 29. elokuu 2018

@notveryradone, You know what? When a car is blasting up behind you 10 to 15mph faster, even a blindspot monitor is not going to warn you. You need to simmer down now.

georgehawley.fl.us | 29. elokuu 2018

Mirror covered the center lane just fine but the inside lane not so much.

RadOne | 29. elokuu 2018

@ken. Don't recognize sarcasm? What a bunch of blow hards. Get a life.

kcheng | 30. elokuu 2018

Yep, got it. Sarcasm doesn't mean it wasn't a putdown. You need to take your own advice.

kcheng | 30. elokuu 2018

We can't all be "rad". That was "sarcasm" too.

lilbean | 30. elokuu 2018

Here’s a response I got in the 3 forum when I said I adjust my mirrors properly so I don’t have a blind spot:
Skolvikes2 | August 30, 2018
@lilbean good for you! Maybe you should get a job consulting people on how to adjust their mirrors so no one needs blindspot monitor....it clearly must not be a popular feature given that its on damn near all new luxury autos.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/no-blind-spot-warning#new
#lamedrivers

thedrisin | 31. elokuu 2018

Maybe the experts here don't need the monitors so they can turn them off. But they may prevent someone else from hitting you, possibly causing injury, require body work and be reported to Carfax decreasing the value of your car resale, what for, because you don't approve of them?

kcheng | 31. elokuu 2018

@thedrisin, the OP called the lack of blindspot monitoring, an "inexcusable lack of a safety feature". I and others just pointed out how to use one's mirrors, because like you, we are concerned about the OP's safety, and their car's value. Nowhere did I or others say it wasn't useful. These features are useful, aids, but one still has to monitor them because they're not foolproof. Even with a blindspot monitor, one should still check their mirrors.

NKYTA | 31. elokuu 2018

+2 @ken

thedrisin | 31. elokuu 2018

@ken. I am not worried about your safety, you must be an excellent, safe driver, besides an ahole. I keep reading the same idiotic, repetitive comments that you can't rely on monitors or they are not foolproof, etc. No one ever said they are a repkacement for mirrors but they are an excellent addition and should be in every car! I don't even understand the argument!

NKYTA | 31. elokuu 2018

The question was asked, @thedris, what are going to do when there are now more mirrors?

Answer: evolve.

kcheng | 01. syyskuu 2018

@derising, what is it with the internet that when people try to be helpful, they are attacked. Just ignore my posts. What makes people so rude to strangers? Only on the internet do you get such faux bravery. Of course, the bravest are those who hide behind screen names and not their real names.

You wonder if people would say the things they do, to your face in public.

DTsea | 01. syyskuu 2018

hey thedrisin.... take your name calling elsewhere pls.