Forums

POWERWALL 2 SELF-POWERED MODE

POWERWALL 2 SELF-POWERED MODE

My 5kw solar system with Powerwall 2 was installed last week. Doing some tests I noticed on the Tesla app that the house power consumption shows higher in Self-Powered mode (6kw +) than in backup mode (less than 3kw) with just the refrigerator and the internet router running. In Self-Powered mode, the graph shows up and down in the house power consumption during the day contrary to Backup mode which shows a constant graph. The same happens to the Powerwall which charges and discharges even if the solar panels supply all power needed for the house. Any ideas why this is happening?

Tesla-David | 04. syyskuu 2018

We had our 2 PW2 installation in june and have been operating exclusively in self powered mode over
the past 2+ months integrated with our 13.2 kWh solar system. Our Powewalls only discharge when there is insufficient solar (e.g, end of solar day until solar kicks in the following day). Operating in self powered mode we have been completely self sufficient, drawing no electricity from grid. I can’t comment on the variable home consumption you are observing between backup mode and self powered mode, as we are not using complete backup mode, but have reserved 25 percent backup in self powered mode for the rare brownout/blackout.

Tesla-David | 04. syyskuu 2018

We had our 2 PW2 installation in june and have been operating exclusively in self powered mode over
the past 2+ months integrated with our 13.2 kWh solar system. Our Powewalls only discharge when there is insufficient solar (e.g, end of solar day until solar kicks in the following day). Operating in self powered mode we have been completely self sufficient, drawing no electricity from grid. I can’t comment on the variable home consumption you are observing between backup mode and self powered mode, as we are not using complete backup mode, but have reserved 25 percent backup in self powered mode for the rare brownout/blackout.